Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The king of fake news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Mirror, mirror on the wall whose the biggest projectionest of them all?
    JimL
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Maranatha View Post
      Using "storm troopers" is a way for you to feel better about the bad orange man, I understand.
      They are violating the 1st amendment rights of the people. If they were there to protect federal buildings, that's one thing, and they could easily do that without violently engaging the citizens, but it is clear that that is not why they are there. Trump, 3 months before the election Trump is sending federal troops around the country to engage in law enforement of the people. That should tell you the purpose of the troops he sent into Portland aren't there to protect federal buildings. Lafayette Plaza was the testing ground.
      Real storm troopers exist in the fervent minds of leftist graspers, you grasp for a term that is satisfying, right?
      No, I grasp for the term that is apropo.
      FYI: Storm Troopers wear white, they have weapons called blasters, they work diligently against the rebel forces.
      I don't know what you're refering to, but I'm refering to Hitlers sturmabteilung, aka "the Brown shirts."
      And if you have not seen cops beaten and attacked by "peaceful protestors", then you have very selective news gathering.
      Show it then. I've seen them fighting back, throwing bottles or whatever, but they are not the instigators.
      Last edited by JimL; 07-24-2020, 09:50 AM.

Comment

They are violating the 1st amendment rights of the people. If they were there to protect federal buildings, that's one thing, and they could easily do that without violently engaging the citizens, but it is clear that that is not why they are there. ...
        Sorry, Jim, I know this goes against your delusion, but when they are there to protect, if they are attacked, they are allowed to defend themselves.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

They are violating the 1st amendment rights of the people. If they were there to protect federal buildings, that's one thing, and they could easily do that without violently engaging the citizens, but it is clear that that is not why they are there. Trump, 3 months before the election Trump is sending federal troops around the country to engage in law enforement of the people. That should tell you the purpose of the troops he sent into Portland aren't there to protect federal buildings. Lafayette Plaza was the testing ground.

I don't know what you're refering to, but I'm refering to Hitlers sturmabteilung, aka "the Brown shirts."

Show it then. I've seen them fighting back, throwing bottles or whatever, but they are not the instigators.
          Nobody has any first amendment right to violently protest, JimL. Or destroy property, or attack police, or burn cars, or throw frozen water bottles, or blind police with lasers.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

"peaceably assemble" and "petition" not "riot and attack"

And if you are so concerned with the first amendment why do you support the government telling people they can't peaceably assemble in Church? Or anywhere else they are limiting gatherings? You only seem to support the first amendment in regards to rioting, and it doesn't even support that.

Comment

Surely you are not this obtuse. I will assume you are not.

In case you are, if you walk up to a government facility with armed soldiers-officers-police-whatever guarding the building, it is best not to get violent. You'll totally dismiss your 1st amendment rights, and you will be unceremoniously arrested.

I personally have a pristine record on this account. I've never been arrested by the Feds for becoming violent while they are actively guarding their building.

I am cool like that.

I have no interest showing you anything because.....orange man bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
              You don't care that the Trump campaign is using fake news to make people re-elect him?
              I do not fully understand (though I have an inkling) why most Bible Belt Trinitarians gravitate towards Donald Trump,-- a P. T. Barnum type confidence trickster and prolific liar.

Here is Trump's "Christian minister" and "spiritual advisor. " Birds of a feather flock together.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Nobody has any first amendment right to violently protest, JimL. Or destroy property, or attack police, or burn cars, or throw frozen water bottles, or blind police with lasers.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

"peaceably assemble" and "petition" not "riot and attack"
                That's right, and you can't attack, beat, gas, pepper spray, or shoot at peaceful protesters. If there are troublemaking interlopers then there are ways to go after them without attacking the peaceful protesters.
                And if you are so concerned with the first amendment why do you support the government telling people they can't peaceably assemble in Church? Or anywhere else they are limiting gatherings? You only seem to support the first amendment in regards to rioting, and it doesn't even support that.
                The one thing has nothing to do with the other, petitioning the government for redress of grievances is a necessary freedom that can't be suspended or you can kiss that right along with democracy itself goodby. The religious, though most of them are smart enough to know better, can protest their temporary suspension of congregating in church as well, but not if they no longer have that right.

Comment

That's right, and you can't attack, beat, gas, pepper spray, or shoot at peaceful protesters.
                  I agree. What is the difference between President Trump when he sends masked federal agents to quell protesters , for example, and a leader of the Chinese Communist when he does the same to protesters in Honk Kong ?

If there are troublemaking interlopers then there are ways to go after them without attacking the peaceful protesters.
                  Agreed.

The one thing has nothing to do with the other, petitioning the government for redress of grievances is a necessary freedom that can't be suspended or you can kiss that right along with democracy itself goodby. The religious, though most of them are smart enough to know better, can protest their temporary suspension of congregating in church as well, but not if they no longer have that right.
                  Yep.

Comment

That's right, and you can't attack, beat, gas, pepper spray, or shoot at peaceful protesters. If there are troublemaking interlopers then there are ways to go after them without attacking the peaceful protesters.
                    This myth you keep advancing as if there were a couple of troublemakers in the middle of a peaceful crowd is belayed by all of the videos of the crowds, rioting and destroying and attacking the police, tearing down statues, burning buildings and cars. The police have no reason to attack peaceful protestors, who usually protest in the light of day, not in the cover of darkness. If peaceful protestors want to hang out in the same crowd as the violent protestors, then it's their own fault if they get caught up in the retaliation by police. Didn't your momma ever tell you not to hang out with the bad crowd?

How can they no longer have that right? And meeting in church IS a peaceable assembly. Or do you think it only counts for protests? The word protest is not in the first amendment. Peaceably assemble means to associate freely with anyone you want to for any reason, as long as it is peaceful. That means Church.

Comment

Liberals don't seem to understand the difference between a protest and a riot.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Liberals don't seem to understand the difference between a protest and a riot.
                        Is this a protest or a riot ?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          And you have always believed every thing he says -- or is it just when it suits you?
                          I cited Trumps claim, and I do not believe anything Trump saws as with all of Trump's claims, and assertions are all unreliable, and Trump's 'Fake News' dominates. Trump is anhibitual chronic liar, and lacks a moral grounding.

Trump is your 'good old boy' and believe him.
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Unitarian101 View Post
                            I do not fully understand (though I have an inkling) why most Bible Belt Trinitarians gravitate towards Donald Trump,-- a P. T. Barnum type confidence trickster and prolific liar.

Here is Trump's "Christian minister" and "spiritual advisor. " Birds of a feather flock together.
                            Well, Paula White is a moron, so... but to answer your question, it's because he is on the R ticket and we'd rather have a bad R than an apocalyptically awful D in office.
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              Well, Paula White is a moron, so... but to answer your question, it's because he is on the R ticket and we'd rather have a bad R than an apocalyptically awful D in office.
                              You got an apocalyptically awful R. One worse than every numbered R and D before him.

No, mere political tribalism does not adequately explain this phenomenon...
                              Last edited by Whateverman; 07-27-2020, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                                You got an apocalyptically awful R. One worse than every numbered R and D before him.

No, mere political tribalism does not adequately explain this phenomenon...
                                He is not apocalyptically awful. He's done much of what he promised, and tried, but was stonewalled, on several other promises. I've been generally happy with his results where he was allowed to act.
                                That's what
                                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment