Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How do you attempt to rationalise with the completely irrational?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
    I keep waiting for the thread's author to support his implied claim that logic is absolute and universal.

Doesn't seem like that's ever going to happen, does it...
    Well Hypatia Alexandria is the author and he is a she...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      Well Hypatia Alexandria is the author and he is a she...
      Oof! Touche. You are absolutely correct. My apologies to Hypatia Alexandria.

I was of course referring to you, not her.

Comment

I was of course referring to you, not her.
        Is that statement both true and false?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Are you going to support your claim that the laws of logic are absolute and universal?

I assume - reasonably - that the answer is no. You cannot support the claim, why is why you endlessly ask the same questions and ignore the answers.

You're behaving dishonestly.

Comment

Are you going to support your claim that the laws of logic are absolute and universal?

I assume - reasonably - that the answer is no. You cannot support the claim, why is why you endlessly ask the same questions and ignore the answers.

You're behaving dishonestly.
            Was your statement both true and false? See whatever you are using the laws of logic to undermine their absolute nature because if they are not absolute then any statement you make can be both true and false which renders any discussion meaningless. So you are hypocritical.

Comment

So then it IS POSSIBLE for the sun to exist and not exist at the same moment if we use paraconsistent logic?
              I'm no expert, but I would think not.

How do you know which is which? How do you know the negation of the above statements are not true? Besides something like the liars paradox can you give a real world example where a claim and its negation are both true?
              You mentioned the liar paradox. All it takes is one true contradiction.

Comment

Was your statement both true and false? See whatever you are using the laws of logic to undermine their absolute nature because if they are not absolute then any statement you make can be both true and false which renders any discussion meaningless. So you are hypocritical.
                You seem to be conflating "the laws of logic may not be absolute" with "the laws of logic don't exist".

Comment

Was your statement both true and false?
                  Prove the laws of logic are absolute and universal.

You can't, which is why you're pretending other people need to answer your questions.

It's dishonest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                    I'm no expert, but I would think not.
                    Then why say that you were speaking in terms of classic logic? It doesn't seem that paraconsistent logic allows for this contradiction either.

You mentioned the liar paradox. All it takes is one true contradiction.
                    That is merely a rhetorical device, I would like to see paraconsistent logic used in a real world situation. Since you brought it up I have been reading about it. First, there are well known philosophers who don't buy it, second I don't see the point. It seems more to do with how we use language than there being true contradiction in nature.

Comment

You can't, which is why you're pretending other people need to answer your questions.

It's dishonest.
                      Because Whatever if the LOC is not absolute all rationality is lost. Is that your position?

Comment

And what would be wrong with that? "Say so" works for you.
                        No, "says so" doesn't work for me. My basis for good and evil is grounded in reason, not on a gods "say so". Your idea is that murder is evil simply because god "says so". At the same time you'd argue that murder isn't evil if god does it. Perhaps you don't believe that the LOC is absolute after all?

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                          Because Whatever if the LOC is not absolute all rationality is lost.
                          That's an unsupported claim about a single law, not proof that applies to all "laws" of logic.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            No, "says so" doesn't work for me. My basis for good and evil is grounded in reason, not on a gods "say so". Your idea is that murder is evil simply because god "says so". At the same time you'd argue that murder isn't evil if god does it. Perhaps you don't believe that the LOC is absolute after all?
                            Again Jim, you have nothing else. Why is our survival a "good?" Besides our say so? I have demonstrated time and time again that you have no other justification.
                            Last edited by seer; 08-08-2020, 08:05 AM.

Comment

That's an unsupported claim about a single law, not proof that applies to all "laws" of logic.
                              What? The LONC is the basis for all rationality - its universality is an axiom, axioms are not proven but accepted. How can you have rational discourse if in principle every statement or claim could be both true and false? How do you do science?

Comment

Ah! Is your statement about me true or false? How can you be certain? The short answer is that you cannot. No more than I can be certain you are male and in your mid sixties.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                The things that you're liable
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life
                                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment