Page 1 of 88 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you attempt to rationalise with the completely irrational?

Faith
    Death & Taxes
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

How do you attempt to rationalise with the completely irrational?

I came across this during my news trawling.

It is laughable but also quite terrifying that people can believe such absolute nonsense.

From the BBC news website

QAnon, coronavirus and the conspiracy cult

A bizarre conspiracy theory has surged in popularity in the US since the pandemic, according to exclusive research seen by the BBC.

QAnon and its believers say that Donald Trump is here to save the world from an evil cabal of paedophiles and it’s had a surprising level of interest around the world from Brazil to Germany, the UK and Indonesia.

And this week Twitter announced it would delete 7,000 QAnon-related accounts, saying it hoped the action would help to prevent "offline harm".

BBC Population Correspondent Stephanie Hegarty has spoken to QAnon followers and their families to find out why this cultish conspiracy has gained so much traction.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-53...onspiracy-cult
    "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" Attrib. Seneca 4 BCE - 65 CE

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I don't.
    Well you do argue with Jim L...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

4. Amen Bill the Cat amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    He's more drug-addled and inane than just irrational.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Death & Taxes
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I don't.
    I appreciate your laconic indifference but why in a society where serious and rational information is, quite literally, at our fingertips do these ridiculous conspiracy theories continue to flourish and whatever happened to common sense?

The six minute video suggests that such beliefs are more prevalent among older people. I assume that refers to people of my generation who were born in the 50s/60s and whom one would have hoped should have garnered a degree of rational thinking. Whatever went wrong?
    "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" Attrib. Seneca 4 BCE - 65 CE

7. Amen HamAndAiGs2 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    But that's only because I'm full of raging hate.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

9. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    I appreciate your laconic indifference but why in a society where serious and rational information is, quite literally, at our fingertips do these ridiculous conspiracy theories continue to flourish and whatever happened to common sense?

The six minute video suggests that such beliefs are more prevalent among older people. I assume that refers to people of my generation who were born in the 50s/60s and whom one would have hoped should have garnered a degree of rational thinking. Whatever went wrong?
    The world has gone nuts. I prefer to avoid conspiracies.

11. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Possibly for the same reason that, IIRC, nearly 40% of those on the left still believe that the Collusion Delusion happened. IOW, they want to believe it and troublesome things like facts, evidence and truth are impediments to be ignored.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

13. Amen RumTumTugger, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

One reason is that many of the rational sources are themselves not trusted within those circles that buy into the conspiracies. The anti-vaxers, the young earth creationists, the AGW deniars, they all have been convinced that scientists are themselves engaged in 'covering up' the truth or perhaps that they have been 'bought out' or somehow forced to be silent about what the 'really know' and thus they can't be trusted to be honestly evaluating the data according to the principles and methodology we call science.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

15. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

My 79 yo mom was a died-in-the-wool liberal up until around 2014. By then, she started watching QAnon and naturally gravitated to Trump. She doesn’t have a formal education, so the transition was quick. That’s the only explanation I can give.

The same goes for creationists who dismiss evolution and deep time. Conspiracy theorizing goes hand in hand with the belief that natural science is driven by hoax and black magic.