Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How do you attempt to rationalise with the completely irrational?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you attempt to rationalise with the completely irrational?

I came across this during my news trawling.

It is laughable but also quite terrifying that people can believe such absolute nonsense.

From the BBC news website

QAnon, coronavirus and the conspiracy cult

A bizarre conspiracy theory has surged in popularity in the US since the pandemic, according to exclusive research seen by the BBC.

QAnon and its believers say that Donald Trump is here to save the world from an evil cabal of paedophiles and it’s had a surprising level of interest around the world from Brazil to Germany, the UK and Indonesia.

And this week Twitter announced it would delete 7,000 QAnon-related accounts, saying it hoped the action would help to prevent "offline harm".

BBC Population Correspondent Stephanie Hegarty has spoken to QAnon followers and their families to find out why this cultish conspiracy has gained so much traction.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-53...onspiracy-cult
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

I don't.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I don't.
      Well you do argue with Jim L...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        He's more drug-addled and inane than just irrational.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I don't.
          I appreciate your laconic indifference but why in a society where serious and rational information is, quite literally, at our fingertips do these ridiculous conspiracy theories continue to flourish and whatever happened to common sense?

The six minute video suggests that such beliefs are more prevalent among older people. I assume that refers to people of my generation who were born in the 50s/60s and whom one would have hoped should have garnered a degree of rational thinking. Whatever went wrong?
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            But that's only because I'm full of raging hate.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
              I appreciate your laconic indifference but why in a society where serious and rational information is, quite literally, at our fingertips do these ridiculous conspiracy theories continue to flourish and whatever happened to common sense?

The six minute video suggests that such beliefs are more prevalent among older people. I assume that refers to people of my generation who were born in the 50s/60s and whom one would have hoped should have garnered a degree of rational thinking. Whatever went wrong?
              The world has gone nuts. I prefer to avoid conspiracies.

Comment

Possibly for the same reason that, IIRC, nearly 40% of those on the left still believe that the Collusion Delusion happened. IOW, they want to believe it and troublesome things like facts, evidence and truth are impediments to be ignored.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

One reason is that many of the rational sources are themselves not trusted within those circles that buy into the conspiracies. The anti-vaxers, the young earth creationists, the AGW deniars, they all have been convinced that scientists are themselves engaged in 'covering up' the truth or perhaps that they have been 'bought out' or somehow forced to be silent about what the 'really know' and thus they can't be trusted to be honestly evaluating the data according to the principles and methodology we call science.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

My 79 yo mom was a died-in-the-wool liberal up until around 2014. By then, she started watching QAnon and naturally gravitated to Trump. She doesn’t have a formal education, so the transition was quick. That’s the only explanation I can give.

The same goes for creationists who dismiss evolution and deep time. Conspiracy theorizing goes hand in hand with the belief that natural science is driven by hoax and black magic.

Comment

This is called being a human being, and we see it on the left too. Trans ideology, Critical Race theory, White Fragility, Systemic Police racism, etc...
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

It is laughable but also quite terrifying that people can believe such absolute nonsense.
                        Your thread title is timely for me personally.

My niece is married to a great guy. Her homeilife wasn't great, and Joe's was much worse, but he literally swept her off her feet, and has been a fantastic addition to my extended family. He works hard, makes great money, and is a genuinely nice guy who's got a good head on his shoulders.

Yesterday, Joe posted a news story from RT.com on his Facebook page. It was about some journalist working with CNN being found to be a real scum bag...

I like Joe, so when I tactfully asked why he reads US news from Russia, I was surprised to see him get defensive very quickly. He began talking about Democrats and liberal media, fake news - almost everything except his implicit endorsement of Russian state propaganda. I had to find ways of bringing him back to my question with insulting him or his POV - and I'm still working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                          My 79 yo mom was a died-in-the-wool liberal up until around 2014. By then, she started watching QAnon and naturally gravitated to Trump.
                          How in the world did I get to be nearly that age, and don't know QAnon from Al-anon?

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                            Your thread title is timely for me personally.

My niece is married to a great guy. Her homeilife wasn't great, and Joe's was much worse, but he literally swept her off her feet, and has been a fantastic addition to my extended family. He works hard, makes great money, and is a genuinely nice guy who's got a good head on his shoulders.

Yesterday, Joe posted a news story from RT.com on his Facebook page. It was about some journalist working with CNN being found to be a real scum bag...

I like Joe, so when I tactfully asked why he reads US news from Russia, I was surprised to see him get defensive very quickly. He began talking about Democrats and liberal media, fake news - almost everything except his implicit endorsement of Russian state propaganda. I had to find ways of bringing him back to my question with insulting him or his POV - and I'm still working on it.
                            With all due respect, does Joe think the same of you? He's rational and you're the irrational?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Possibly for the same reason that, IIRC, nearly 40% of those on the left still believe that the Collusion Delusion happened. IOW, they want to believe it and troublesome things like facts, evidence and truth are impediments to be ignored.
                              That’s probably because Trump’s ties with Russia are deep and that sometimes corruption just can’t be prosecuted. The Clintons are a good example. Tons of shadiness on Whitewater and other scandals, but Starr couldn’t prosecute them despite the obvious wrongdoing.

You’ll find that the right is more prone to conspiracy. Very few liberals believe that that natural science is driven by hoax and black magic. The preponderance of people who believe in global conspiracies are conservatives.

Comment