Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Regrets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump Regrets

One might think this regret would alter his behavior - especially during an election year.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...ool-sports-ceo

Trump admits he 'often' regrets tweets, retweets get him 'into trouble', in interview with Barstool Sports founder
    The president acknowledged that he 'loves' using Twitter 'too much sometimes'

By Joseph A. Wulfsohn | Fox News

President Trump made a rare admission that his Twitter activity at times gets him "into trouble."

During an interview that was released Friday by Barstool Sports founder Dave Portnoy, the two discussed the powerful platform Trump has on Twitter.

The president told Portnoy there are times when he "loves" using Twitter "too much sometimes," touting the "voice" he has that bypasses what he calls "fake news."

"Do you sometimes -- because I follow you on Twitter and I know I do this... do you ever tweet out and be like -- you wake up and, 'Aw man, I wish I didn't send that one out'?" Portnoy asked.

"Often, too often," Trump responded. "It used to be in the old days before this, you'd write a letter and you'd say this letter is very big. You put it on your desk and then you go back tomorrow and you say, 'Oh, I'm glad I didn't send it,' right? But we don't do that with Twitter, right? We put it out instantaneously, we feel great, and then you start getting phone calls -- 'Did you really say this?' I say, 'What's wrong with that?' and you find out a lot of things."

Trump then acknowledged that "it's the retweets" that get him "into trouble" versus the tweets he writes himself.

Portnoy pressed the president on his retweets.

"You've been caught retweeting people, being like, 'Oh, you just retweeted this crazy person,' so you don't even look. You just press retweet and you just fire from the hip," the Barstool Sports founder said.

"You see something that looks good and you don't investigate it and you don't know what's on the helmet exactly, right, which is a miniature and you don't blow it up, it sometimes -- I have found that almost always it's the retweets that get you in trouble," Trump said.

"I've seen that a little bit with you," Portnoy added.

President Trump often has his critics howling over tweets that attack political opponents. In recent weeks, Twitter has been cracking down on the president's tweets, claiming they violate various policies.

Joseph A. Wulfsohn is a media reporter for Fox News. Follow him on Twitter @JosephWulfsohn.

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    One might think this regret would alter his behavior - especially during an election year.
    Well hope springs eternal.

Many thought winning the Presidency would change the man, how wrong they were.

I'll wager Trump regretted admitting he regretted it within minutes of saying he regretted it.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Trump admits he 'often' regrets tweets, retweets get him 'into trouble', in interview with Barstool Sports founder

President Trump made a rare admission that his Twitter activity at times gets him "into trouble."

During an interview that was released Friday by Barstool Sports founder Dave Portnoy, the two discussed the powerful platform Trump has on Twitter.

The president told Portnoy there are times when he "loves" using Twitter "too much sometimes," touting the "voice" he has that bypasses what he calls "fake news."

"Do you sometimes -- because I follow you on Twitter and I know I do this... do you ever tweet out and be like -- you wake up and, 'Aw man, I wish I didn't send that one out'?" Portnoy asked.

"Often, too often," Trump responded. "It used to be in the old days before this, you'd write a letter and you'd say this letter is very big. You put it on your desk and then you go back tomorrow and you say, 'Oh, I'm glad I didn't send it,' right? But we don't do that with Twitter, right? We put it out instantaneously, we feel great, and then you start getting phone calls -- 'Did you really say this?' I say, 'What's wrong with that?' and you find out a lot of things."

Trump then acknowledged that "it's the retweets" that get him "into trouble" versus the tweets he writes himself.

"You've been caught retweeting people, being like, 'Oh, you just retweeted this crazy person,' so you don't even look. You just press retweet and you just fire from the hip," the Barstool Sports founder said.

"You see something that looks good and you don't investigate it and you don't know what's on the helmet exactly, right, which is a miniature and you don't blow it up, it sometimes -- I have found that almost always it's the retweets that get you in trouble," Trump said.

President Trump often has his critics howling over tweets that attack political opponents. In recent weeks, Twitter has been cracking down on the president's tweets, claiming they violate various policies.

Joseph A. Wulfsohn is a media reporter for Fox News. Follow him on Twitter @JosephWulfsohn.
      Trump knows exactly what he is doing, the problem for people to understand is that he is a pathological liar, that he lies about everything, including regretting.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Trump knows exactly what he is doing, the problem for people to understand is that he is a pathological liar, that he lies about everything, including regretting.
        I didn't realize you had him under analysis.

Comment

I didn't realize you had him under analysis.
          Of course I have, Trump is not difficult to analyze if your eyes and ears are open to the facts of what they see and hear. Are you not aware of his pathology, his penchant for spreading lies and propaganda on a daily basis? Have you not noticed his appointing "active" loyalists at the head of government institutions rather than going through the congressional nominating process as intended by the Constitution? Have you not noticed his firing of Inspector Generals whose job it is to report to Congress the abuses and corruption that may take place within the institutions of government, the firing and vengence he takes on whistleblowers and anyone else who dares do their constitutional responsibilities. Did you not notice that he just made up his own law in order to send Michael Cohen back to prison because he was in the process of exercising his right to free speech, an illegal act which the Judge overturned. That's how fascism emerges, step by step. But now he only has 3 months left to solidify his dictatorial powers and it's going to be one or the othe thereafter, either democracy or dictatorship. It's up to the people now to make that choice, although, as I said before, his back is against the wall and he will do anything at this point, including corrupting the electoral process.

Comment

POTUS literally has the power to speak to America via presidential address every night if he wants. Instead he uses Twitter to fire off vindictive and infantile soundbites. His method of "bypass" squeaked him into office but slowly eroded any confidence and goodwill he had with the swing voters who gave him a chance.
            Last edited by whag; 07-25-2020, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Of course I have, Trump is not difficult to analyze if your eyes and ears are open to the facts of what they see and hear. Are you not aware of his pathology, his penchant for spreading lies and propaganda on a daily basis?
              Assuming I even interviewed him, I wouldn't feel qualified to judge him as a "pathological" liar. I'd say he plays more loosely with the truth than most presidents, but I consider them all liars.

Have you not noticed his appointing "active" loyalists at the head of government institutions rather than going through the congressional nominating process as intended by the Constitution? Have you not noticed his firing of Inspector Generals whose job it is to report to Congress the abuses and corruption that may take place within the institutions of government, the firing and vengence he takes on whistleblowers and anyone else who dares do their constitutional responsibilities. Did you not notice that he just made up his own law in order to send Michael Cohen back to prison because he was in the process of exercising his right to free speech, an illegal act which the Judge overturned. That's how fascism emerges, step by step. But now he only has 3 months left to solidify his dictatorial powers and it's going to be one or the othe thereafter, either democracy or dictatorship. It's up to the people now to make that choice, although, as I said before, his back is against the wall and he will do anything at this point, including corrupting the electoral process.
              Well, you went on a loaded rant there that has nothing to do with pathologically lying.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                POTUS literally has the power to speak to America via presidential address every night if he wants. Instead he uses Twitter to fire off vindictive and infantile soundbites. His method of "bypass" squeaked him into office but slowly eroded any confidence and goodwill he had with the swing voters who gave him a chance.
                He claims that using any other medium is filtered through "fake news." Judging by how left-leaning most news agencies are these days I can't hardly blame him for feeling that way.

But GW survived the left-leaning news agencies. There is a way to deal with their bias without resorting to social media. Trump just isn't sharp enough to weave through it so he "tweets" instead - and looks like an idiot.

Comment

He claims that using any other medium is filtered through "fake news." Judging by how left-leaning most news agencies are these days I can't hardly blame him for feeling that way.
                  That doesn't make sense, since nothing prevents his tweets from also being "filtered through 'fake news.'" Had he innovated regular LIVE televised or streamed presidential addresses, he could have demonstrated an articulate presidential persona. Surely his advisors must have repeatedly told him this, but he's a stable genius and hence knew better.

Comment

I'll bet he's using the tern as in a person might "regret" getting caught doing something they knew they didn't want get caught doing.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                      That doesn't make sense, since nothing prevents his tweets from also being "filtered through 'fake news.'"
                      That's after the fact, though. People can read the tweets verbatim if they wish.

Believe me, I am not defending anyone's use of Twitter. I think it's a disaster (and especially for someone as dingbatty as Trump) to fire off knee jerk comments whenever an impulse strikes them. Public comments should always be carefully considered.

Had he innovated regular LIVE televised or streamed presidential addresses, he could have demonstrated an articulate presidential persona. Surely his advisors must have repeatedly told him this, but he's a stable genius and hence knew better.
                      I suspect his "best words" would let him down.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                        I'll bet he's using the tern as in a person might "regret" getting caught doing something they knew they didn't want get caught doing.
                        If you read his comments, it boils down to blaming others. He said it's the retweets that get him in trouble because he didn't investigate the originators. It's a way of shifting blame.

Comment

Assuming I even interviewed him, I wouldn't feel qualified to judge him as a "pathological" liar. I'd say he plays more loosely with the truth than most presidents, but I consider them all liars.

Well, you went on a loaded rant there that has nothing to do with pathologically lying.
                          The question was about my analysis of Trump. That he is an obvious pathological liar, or at the very least, a person who cares nothing about speaking truth, is not in question. The rest of my rant was to show where that unprincipled character leads, and has led us, which is to the verge of a dictatorship. You think he's going to stop his dismantling of the institutions of government and solidifying his unconstitutional dictatorial powers if he gets another 4 years to finish the job? I can assure you he will not stop.

Comment

As I've said before, I'm considerably less worried about what he says than I am with what he does. So he can Tweet whatever he wants as long as he continues to implement sensible policies.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

If you read his comments, it boils down to blaming others. He said it's the retweets that get him in trouble because he didn't investigate the originators. It's a way of shifting blame.
                              On the plus side:

How many presidents do we have tons of personal thoughts from? Twitter posts are clearly a hallmark for the Trump presidency, and they're almost all publicly available. Do we have the equivalent of journal entries (etc) from Obama, the Bushes, Clinton or Reagan? Probably not.

Comment