Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Media Bias Graphic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media Bias Graphic

https://www.allsides.com/media-bias/media-bias-ratings

I recently switched my homepage news aggregate from Yahoo! (which has eliminated all comments from readers) to Allsides.

I just wanted to share this graphic. I disagree with a couple of its conclusions, and am curious what others think. I'm not very familiar with some of those listed.

bias chart.jpg

Looks about right to me.

I don't see The Hill or Atlantic on there. Did I miss them?
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      Looks about right to me.

The Hill is considered center, and The Atlantic is considered leaning left.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
        Looks about right to me.

The Hill is in the center. The Atlantic is in the center-left column.

I would place both CNN and The New York Times in the far left column.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Yup, there they are. Cursed be my bifocals!
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

I agree with you there especially NYT the far left has taken them over. where was this person who made this chart the last couple of weeks

oh ands I'd say that Bloomberg at least leans left. not center.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
              I agree with you there especially NYT the far left has taken them over. where was this person who made this chart the last couple of weeks

oh ands I'd say that Bloomberg at least leans left. not center.
              They have a funky way of determining left and right in the media, based on a questionnaire on that same page.

It asks what the reader thinks are more important and less important subjects. I don't believe that is a true litmus test - especially when it came to foreign military engagements. It believes "right" is about being forceful with a strong military, and the "left" as being about diplomacy and working with allies (which I think is false). Anyway, both sides can consider foreign military ventures "more" important, just with different angles.

Also, I believe the further left and right the media gets, the less honest it is. If a verified story is presented to them and it doesn't fit their narrative, they ignore it. It's dishonest.

Comment

Did Yahoo remove all comments on their "news" now? I usually skimmed through the article just to get to the comments.

Comment

https://www.allsides.com/media-bias/media-bias-ratings

I recently switched my homepage news aggregate from Yahoo! (which has eliminated all comments from readers) to Allsides.

I just wanted to share this graphic. I disagree with a couple of its conclusions, and am curious what others think. I'm not very familiar with some of those listed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47129[/ATTACH]
                  It looks like any other attempt to objectively quantify a news source's political slant. I agree with some, disagree with others, but so what? They claim it's a "scientific analysis", but it's not. If it was scientific, then anybody using their methodology should be able to reproduce the same results, but this is impossible because it's entirely based on the opinions of whoever happens to be grading the various sources.

I'm really not sure what the point of these "bias scales" is other than to give the weak-minded the confidence to reject a source based on what somebody else tells them to think about it.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    It looks like any other attempt to objectively quantify a news source's political slant. I agree with some, disagree with others, but so what? They claim it's a "scientific analysis", but it's not. If it was scientific, then anybody using their methodology should be able to reproduce the same results, but this is impossible because it's entirely based on the opinions of whoever happens to be grading the various sources.

I'm really not sure what the point of these "bias scales" is other than to give the weak-minded the confidence to reject a source based on what somebody else tells them to think about it.
                    What they do on their news page is have three vertical columns running down the page, with Left, Center, Right news sources based on the graph. They're trying to be unbiased, and I can't fault them for it. But I have zero interest in the extreme left positions, and almost zero interest in the extreme right. So I find myself reading down the center (which leans left, IMO).

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                      Did Yahoo remove all comments on their "news" now? I usually skimmed through the article just to get to the comments.
                      Yeah, they did. What I would do is read a Yahoo article and find details lacking or it is just plain sloppily written. Then go down to the comments and someone would include a link to a much better version of the same story.

So unless I want to read sloppy and lacking articles, I'd rather just go someplace else. I only had it as a homepage because of my email.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, MM. You don't have to stay weak minded if you don't want to.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                          You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, MM. You don't have to stay weak minded if you don't want to.
                          I have never quoted a rating source like this in order to dismiss a story, but I'm pretty sure you have.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment