Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

I - an atheist - have an objective standard for Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    It's an analogy Hypatia.
    The statement "If you have never met the governor then you just believe he exists" is not an analogy Sparko.

An analogy is a comparison in which an idea or a thing is compared to another thing that is quite different from it. For example comparing the human brain to a computer.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      The statement "If you have never met the governor then you just believe he exists" is not an analogy Sparko.

An analogy is a comparison in which an idea or a thing is compared to another thing that is quite different from it. For example comparing the human brain to a computer.
      Yes, I was referring to using the analogy of a governor handing out a pardon to Jesus offering salvation. That was an analogy. JimL (and apparently you) decide to ignore the point of the analogy and focus on the "governor" when that was just part of the analogy. You can pick apart any analogy if you want to.

The point of my analogy was that the criminal was being executed for his crimes (murder) and if he didn't accept the pardon, he wasn't being executed for rejecting the pardon, but for his crimes, just like before he even heard of a possible pardon. Same as sinners being judged for their actions not because they "didn't believe in the gospel of salvation"

Comment

It doesn't matter why you reject the pardon, JimL, only that when you do, your execution will be because of your original crimes, just as if you never had a pardon offered to you. You can reject it because you didn't believe in the Governor, because you don't want to be pardoned, or because it is Tuesday and you want to stay for the Tacos. Once you reject the offer, you will be back where you started, being on death row for your ACTIONS.

When you die, JimL, you can't argue that you "were mistaken" or "didn't know" because you do know, I and dozens of others have told you. If you don't accept Jesus, then you will be judged on your own actions. You tossed away your pardon willingly. So you must stand trial for your actions.
        Your problem is that you can't admit that you don't know but that you believe. You telling me what you believe, or what you think you know does not equate to me knowing. Most people livung or dead, don't , or never did, know of the existence of your believed in god. Btw, you didn't answer the question. Hypothetically, If at the pearly gates I realize I was mistaken and come to know that Jesus is god and atone, do I get pardoned then?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Your problem is that you can't admit that you don't know but that you believe. You telling me what you believe, or what you think you know does not equate to me knowing. Most people livung or dead, don't , or never did, know of the existence of your believed in god. Btw, you didn't answer the question. Hypothetically, If at the pearly gates I realize I was mistaken and come to know that Jesus is god and atone, do I get pardoned then?
          Jim, if you had read the bible like I suggested, you would know the answer to your question.

Hebrews 9:27

Comment

Yes, I was referring to using the analogy of a governor handing out a pardon to Jesus offering salvation. That was an analogy.
            A rather feeble one - implying a human governor's ability to issue a pardon is somehow comparable to the powers of a presumed, omniscient, omnipotent, and omnibenevolent, Supreme Being.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

A rather feeble one - implying a human governor's ability to issue a pardon is somehow comparable to the powers of a presumed, omniscient, omnipotent, and omnibenevolent, Supreme Being.
              Well I am dealing with someone with a feeble mind, so...

Comment

I would like to be present when you face God and explain to him how you are better than him.
                I would like a Porsche.

If we're done with uselessly wishing for things we'll likely never get, could we please get back to the thread topic?

Or are you signalling your inability to address it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  And we know God exists.
                  You don't speak for me; I don't know it.

You don't speak for the majority of theists; they don't necessarily agree with what you'd cite as evidence for the existence of god(s).

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  Unless you want to deny what happened about 2000 years ago.
                  What happened about 2000 years ago, and how do you know it?

Comment

If Christianity is right, you will find out what "objective morality" is when you stand before God.
                    Why aren't Christians able to coherently describe what it is, so I don't have to wait to find out?

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                      I would like a Porsche.

If we're done with uselessly wishing for things we'll likely never get, could we please get back to the thread topic?

Or are you signalling your inability to address it?
                      Seems more like you are signalling your inability to deal with the fact that I have addressed your nonsense many times in this thread

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/se...st&showposts=1

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                        Why aren't Christians able to coherently describe what it is, so I don't have to wait to find out?
                        I did. more than once. In this thread. Maybe you should actually read people's replies instead of just bloviating on your own farts.

Comment

Well I am dealing with someone with a feeble mind, so...
                          Is the ad hominem your default position?
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Is the ad hominem your default position?
                            No. Sarcasm is.

Comment

No. Sarcasm is.
                              No Sparko making pejorative remarks about your interlocutor is not sarcasm. Although it does make it clear you have no coherent or cogent comments to make.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

When you die, JimL, you can't argue that you "were mistaken" or "didn't know" because you do know, I and dozens of others have told you. If you don't accept Jesus, then you will be judged on your own actions. You tossed away your pardon willingly. So you must stand trial for your actions.
                                What about those who DID accept Jesus but in all good faith got his so-called objective morality wrong? The Christians of Salem killing 'witches' for example, or the Christian slave owners of the Deep South - which resulted in the formation of the Southern Baptist Convention? Will they "stand trial" for their actions?

Comment