Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Rutgers Declares Grammar Racist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't Hypatia European? So, she'd know the formal English taught in schools?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      **cough**Hypatia**cough**
      Yeah, I suspect she's German and learned "royal English".

We always laugh when somebody learns Spanish so they can work with our Mexican friends, but it's SPAIN's Spanish, not Mexican Spanish, and it sounds funny.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

We always laugh when somebody learns Spanish so they can work with our Mexican friends, but it's SPAIN's Spanish, not Mexican Spanish, and it sounds funny.
        Québécois is the same, to a French person.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          Québécois is the same, to a French person.
          I guess it even goes back to "classic Greek" vs common Greek.

Eh?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I wonder if any translator ever accidentally translated the New Testament as if it were classical Greek instead of Koine Greek?
            Last edited by Christianbookworm; 07-28-2020, 09:51 AM.

Comment

My family in Germany learned English in school and don't talk anything like Hypatia. She just wants to sound high falutin' as an attempt to sound smarterer than she really is.

Comment

So it's not an ESL thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  Isn't spoken and written English different? Like you would not talk like you were writing a professional level paper!
                  I think it depends on your level of education. Those with more education tend to speak how they are taught to write, and those with less education tend to write like they speak.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Rutgers Declares Grammar Racist

English Department pledges to incorporate 'critical grammar' into program

Chrissy Clark - July 24, 2020 4:00 PM

The English department at a public university declared that proper English grammar is racist.

Rutgers University's English department will change its standards of English instruction in an effort to "stand with and respond" to the Black Lives Matter movement. In an email written by department chairwoman Rebecca Walkowitz, the Graduate Writing Program will emphasize "social justice" and "critical grammar."

Walkowitz said the department would respond to recent events with "workshops on social justice and writing," "increasing focus on graduate student life," and "incorporating ‘critical grammar' into our pedagogy." The "critical grammar" approach challenges the standard academic form of the English language in favor of a more inclusive writing experience. The curriculum puts an emphasis on the variability of the English language instead of accuracy.

"This approach challenges the familiar dogma that writing instruction should limit emphasis on grammar/sentence-level issues so as to not put students from multilingual, non-standard ‘academic' English backgrounds at a disadvantage," Walkowitz said. "Instead, it encourages students to develop a critical awareness of the variety of choices available to them [with] regard to micro-level issues in order to empower them and equip them to push against biases based on ‘written' accents."

Additionally, the department said it will provide more reading to upper-level writing classes on the subjects of racism, sexism, homophobia, and related forms of "systemic discrimination."

Leonydus Johnson, a speech pathologist and libertarian activist, said the school's change makes the racist assumption that minorities cannot comprehend traditional English. Johnson called the change "insulting, patronizing, and in itself, extremely racist."

"The idea that expecting a student to write in grammatically correct sentences is indicative of racial bias is asinine," Johnson told the Washington Free Beacon. "It's like these people believe that being non-white is an inherent handicap or learning disability…. That's racism. It has become very clear to me that those who claim to be ‘anti-racist' are often the most racist people in this country."

Rutgers's new anti-racist language standard comes alongside a litany of changes at other universities. Princeton University's board of trustees voted to remove Woodrow Wilson's name from its public policy school and one of its residential colleges to denounce the former president's "racist thinking and policies." The James Madison residential college at Michigan State University is considering making a similar change. Activists at the University of Pittsburgh have called for the firing of any employee deemed racist or discriminatory by students, and the school said it will give the demands "serious consideration."

The Rutgers English department created a Committee on Bias Awareness and Prevention in 2012. In light of Black Lives Matter protests, the school has moved past bias awareness and prevention and into a focus on "decolonization." Walkowitz's email talks of "decolonizing the writing center." The department offers a specific internship titled "Decolonizing the Writing Center" to "make the writing centers more linguistically diverse."

The university and Walkowitz did not respond to requests for comment.

Us Grammar Nazis is in lots of troubles!
                    It is a rather asinine idea. It reminds me of the Afro-centrism that was all the rage years ago in the US. Everybody in history was black according to that "theory" [I use the word advisedly] and African civilisations led the way. Off the top of my head I cannot think of any really ancient African civilisations apart from Egypt.

Such theories are similar to what is known as soft primitivism. Examples of which include the idea that before the white man arrived all the Native American nations were tree-hugging proto-hippies, and prior to the wicked Romans and Julius Caesar all the Celtic Gauls were living in contended harmony.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    The things that you're liable
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life
                    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

My family in Germany learned English in school and don't talk anything like Hypatia. She just wants to sound high falutin' as an attempt to sound smarterer than she really is.
                      Oh.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                        It is a rather asinine idea. It reminds me of the Afro-centrism that was all the rage years ago in the US. Everybody in history was black according to that "theory" [I use the word advisedly] and African civilisations led the way. Off the top of my head I cannot think of any really ancient African civilisations apart from Egypt.

Such theories are similar to what is known as soft primitivism. Examples of which include the idea that before the white man arrived all the Native American nations were tree-hugging proto-hippies, and prior to the wicked Romans and Julius Caesar all the Celtic Gauls were living in contended harmony.
                        Here, it's called "the dumbing down of society". An uneducated populace is much easier to control than an educated one.

Comment

My family in Germany learned English in school and don't talk anything like Hypatia.
                          How do you know how I "talk"?

She just wants to sound high falutin' as an attempt to sound smarterer than she really is.
                          Lol! Why such surprise that people can write in a language? Leonhard and Chrawnus both write in perfectly good English. Do you make the same jibes about them?

I assume both those contributors are natives of their respective countries [Denmark and Finland] and not simply English speakers resident in those countries. I'd also suggest you try reading or watching a foreign correspondent journalist that is based in a foreign country.

Furthermore anyone who has studied language to a higher level will know that writing is different from speaking.
                          Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 07-28-2020, 12:25 PM.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Here, it's called "the dumbing down of society". An uneducated populace is much easier to control than an educated one.
                            I fear that dumbing down society is not unique to the USA.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                              I fear that dumbing down society is not unique to the USA.
                              It's sad, truly.

Quick side story. When I was in High School, there was a renewed focus on English as a language. We had a round of tests to determine a student's proficiency in English*, and those who failed or performed poorly were required to take a class in remedial English. As one my suspect, I excelled, so I had to take "some other class" while many students took remedial English. For reasons I could not, at the time, understand, I was directed to take Typing 1.

Mind you, at that time, "typing" was for girls. (Sexist, yes, but true) On my first day of class, I looked around and perceived that I was the ONLY male in a class full of females, several of whom were quite attractive.

Our teacher was "old school" meanie, actually intending for us all to learn "touch typing", and love it.

A) I got to experience the wonderful sense of being the only guy in a room full of girls
                              2) I was forced to learn "typing", which I thought was an absolute total waste of time, but as the "computer age" hit, I discovered that I was QUITE proficient in a field where most of my colleagues employed the "barnyard method" of typing. (hunt and peck)

Being forced into typing was one of the best things that ever happened to me!

*IMOHBAO, the reason we were doing so badly in English is that we had abandoned phonics.

Comment

When I was in High School, there was a renewed focus on English as a language.
                                I had an English teacher in high school who taught with an almost militant fervor. She used curriculum that we called "Programmed Grammar" (I forget the longer title) that was literally page after page after page of grammar drills, and then at the end of every chapter, you had to take a test and pass with at least an 80% or you had to do the entire chapter over again. Naturally, we students hated "PG" with a passion, but I suppose I can't complain because it did teach me to right gud.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment