Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why Liberals Aren’t as Tolerant as They Think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Except the left is not defining it more narrowly. "Silence is violence" if you do not support the left's view of race (buy into critical race theory/White Fragility) you are by default racist. You don't believe a biological man can become a woman you are a transphobe.
    It seems like your problem is more that you disagree with how bigotry is being defined rather than it having too broad a definition.

Comment

To be honest CP, I don't think most leftists would put their lives in danger to save a child.
      Perhaps, that would be true of the liberal anti-Christian bigots who post here, but, as Leon so aptly pointed out, they are not, thankfully, typical of liberals in general.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        It's not just tolerance, it's the response to tolerance.

If I decide, even with cause, that you're a racist, do I have a right to punch you in the nose? Or burn down your house?
        Not for someone merely being a racist.

College campuses, for one, where they can't even allow opposing ideas to be spoken.
        Are those opposing ideas bigoted? Because that would not just be a difference of opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
          Not for someone merely being a racist.
          How bout anti-Christian. That's bigotry. We see that here all the time, and this Christian-run board allows it.

Are those opposing ideas bigoted? Because that would not just be a difference of opinion.
          It would be your (or somebody's) opinion that those ideas are bigoted.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

How bout anti-Christian. That's bigotry. We see that here all the time, and this Christian-run board allows it.
            Yeah if we ran theologyweb like liberals we would have banned everyone who disagrees with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Yeah if we ran theologyweb like liberals we would have banned everyone who disagrees with us.
              So, let's look at the definition of "bigot" - a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

So, when the left declares somebody is a bigot, and uses that to refuse to tolerate their speech, that's bigotry.

The left use "bigotry" as their excuse to be intolerant of "bigoted" speech, therefore, proving their own bigotry.

Comment

It seems like your problem is more that you disagree with how bigotry is being defined rather than it having too broad a definition.
                No it is being defined to include almost anything.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Are you asking me if I think punching someone or burning down their home is justified if they are anti-Christian?

It would be your (or somebody's) opinion that those ideas are bigoted.
                  Didn't you say that liberals have now defined bigotry to be anyone with an opposing opinion? How do you think bigotry was determined prior?

Comment

No it is being defined to include almost anything.
                    Isn't intolerance to race, sexuality, or gender identity an orthodox definition of bigotry? How specifically is bigotry being defined to include almost anything? You've mentioned critical race theory and white fragility (neither of which I know much about), can you elaborate how these concepts relate?

Comment

Perhaps, that would be true of the liberal anti-Christian bigots who post here, but, as Leon so aptly pointed out, they are not, thankfully, typical of liberals in general.
                      I think, rather, that Leon is an atypical liberal. In my experience (and not just on the internet but in real life, too), liberals tend to be angry, irrational people whenever the topic wanders into politics or religion.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        I think, rather, that Leon is an atypical liberal. In my experience (and not just on the internet but in real life, too), liberals tend to be angry, irrational people whenever the topic wanders into politics or religion.
                        In my experience most liberals and most conservatives in real life don't spend much time arguing online. There's some selection bias in the people that appear there. They're the kind of people who would be the kind to argue. And that's typically either people with a bee in their bonnet, or people like us who just enjoy a good discussion.

Comment

Wasn't tweb originally created by Christians who got tired of another forum that banned a lot of people?

Comment

Isn't intolerance to race, sexuality, or gender identity an orthodox definition of bigotry? How specifically is bigotry being defined to include almost anything? You've mentioned critical race theory and white fragility (neither of which I know much about), can you elaborate how these concepts relate?
                            White fragility which is gaining strength is the idea that all white people are racist, just by the dint of their skin color. And if you don't admit it, it is because you are fragile, not wanting to admit your racism. You can't win. If you float you are a witch and are executed, if you don't float and drown you are not a witch.

Why all white people are racist, but can't handle being called racist: the theory of white fragility

https://stateofopportunity.michiganr...hite-fragility

And PM, do you think it is phobic to say that a biological man can not be a woman? Yet people are being canceled for saying exactly that. J.K. Rowling is the latest.

https://www.vox.com/culture/21285396...h-harry-potter

Tenets of Critical Race Theory

https://sites.google.com/site/nasmar...al-race-theory
                            Last edited by seer; 07-29-2020, 06:49 AM.
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

And yet when conservatives want to peaceably assemble in Church on Sunday mornings, liberals have the vapors and want to outlaw it because "COVID!"
                              One of the ways that viruses spread is by close contact.

When conservatives PEACEABLY protested in Michigan, again liberals and the Governor acted to shut it down and condemn it.
                              I would not consider a group "tooled up" and entering the state council to be peaceable.

I am left to wonder if you would have used the same language to describe a group of American Muslims or Black Americans who had arrived dressed and equipped in precisely the same manner.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              The things that you're liable
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life
                              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

College campuses, for one, where they can't even allow opposing ideas to be spoken.
                                We all endorse free speech. or do we?

The Allies hanged Streicher for doing nothing more than expressing his opinions.

There may also be occasions when despite our right to say what we think, it is politic, tactful [and dare I suggest polite] not to do so.

Inviting individuals who are known for their inflammatory and [to some] offensive language strikes me as tactics that might be considered similar to those of the agent provacateur.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                The things that you're liable
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life
                                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment