Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why are athletes not canceling Coke products?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are athletes not canceling Coke products?

https://allthatsinteresting.com/john-pemberton

The birth of Coca-Cola begins in the late 19th century with a man named Dr. John Stith Pemberton, a slave owner who worked in medicine and fought as a Confederate soldier in the American Civil War.
    Before John Pemberton served in the Third Georgia Cavalry Battalion, he made his living as a chemist and a pharmacist. Having studied at the Reform Medical College in Macon, Georgia, Pemberton was a licensed practitioner of Thomsonian medicine, which relies on the principles of botany and herbalism to rid the body of harmful toxins.

As still happens today, at least among Western cultures, many looked at this form of medical practice with distrust and suspicion. Yet John Pemberton still went on to successfully practice his trade before eventually earning a degree in pharmacy at a school in Philadelphia, shortly before the start of the Civil War in 1861.
    Pemberton’s time in the Army wasn’t without personal tragedy, and at the Battle of Columbus in April 1865, he sustained a saber wound to the chest which nearly killed him. Pemberton survived, but was left to battle a crippling morphine addiction, which caretakers offered to Pemberton as a painkiller to treat his substantial wounds.

Relying on the knowledge he had gathered over his professional years, John Pemberton set out in search of a cure for addiction. He began to experiment with various herbs and plants, including the coca leaf, which, as many know by now, is the raw material used in the production of cocaine.
    By mixing coca leaves, wine, and kola nuts (in case that cocaine didn’t offer a big enough caffeine kick), Pemberton came up with his first beverage, called Pemberton’s French Wine Coca. The drink, advertised as an anti-depressant, a painkiller, and an all-around aphrodisiac, worked to relieve the ails of Pemberton’s opioid addiction and was sold to the public, where it gained almost immediate success.

With the nationwide threat of Prohibition looming, John Pemberton sought to protect his interests and removed the alcoholic ingredient from the drink’s recipe in 1886, replacing the wine with a sugary syrup.
    Working with his longtime friend Willis E. Venable, the pair rebranded the item Coca-Cola, which they would have intended for medicinal use had they not accidentally added carbonated water to the mixture. Instead of scrapping the idea, they marketed the confection as a refreshing soft drink.

lebron-james-for-coca-cola.jpg
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    https://allthatsinteresting.com/john-pemberton

The birth of Coca-Cola begins in the late 19th century with a man named Dr. John Stith Pemberton, a slave owner who worked in medicine and fought as a Confederate soldier in the American Civil War.
    Before John Pemberton served in the Third Georgia Cavalry Battalion, he made his living as a chemist and a pharmacist. Having studied at the Reform Medical College in Macon, Georgia, Pemberton was a licensed practitioner of Thomsonian medicine, which relies on the principles of botany and herbalism to rid the body of harmful toxins.

As still happens today, at least among Western cultures, many looked at this form of medical practice with distrust and suspicion. Yet John Pemberton still went on to successfully practice his trade before eventually earning a degree in pharmacy at a school in Philadelphia, shortly before the start of the Civil War in 1861.
    Pemberton’s time in the Army wasn’t without personal tragedy, and at the Battle of Columbus in April 1865, he sustained a saber wound to the chest which nearly killed him. Pemberton survived, but was left to battle a crippling morphine addiction, which caretakers offered to Pemberton as a painkiller to treat his substantial wounds.

Relying on the knowledge he had gathered over his professional years, John Pemberton set out in search of a cure for addiction. He began to experiment with various herbs and plants, including the coca leaf, which, as many know by now, is the raw material used in the production of cocaine.
    By mixing coca leaves, wine, and kola nuts (in case that cocaine didn’t offer a big enough caffeine kick), Pemberton came up with his first beverage, called Pemberton’s French Wine Coca. The drink, advertised as an anti-depressant, a painkiller, and an all-around aphrodisiac, worked to relieve the ails of Pemberton’s opioid addiction and was sold to the public, where it gained almost immediate success.

With the nationwide threat of Prohibition looming, John Pemberton sought to protect his interests and removed the alcoholic ingredient from the drink’s recipe in 1886, replacing the wine with a sugary syrup.
    Working with his longtime friend Willis E. Venable, the pair rebranded the item Coca-Cola, which they would have intended for medicinal use had they not accidentally added carbonated water to the mixture. Instead of scrapping the idea, they marketed the confection as a refreshing soft drink.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47156[/ATTACH]
    Because money. And why should Christians, who aren't to be tainted by this world, care?

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
      Because money. And why should Christians, who aren't to be tainted by this world, care?
      So, the hypocrites don't care that it was invented by a slave owner. Thanks for the explanation.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
        Were you always this bitter and nasty, and I just didn't notice, or has something happened recently that has changed your disposition?
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Were you always this bitter and nasty, and I just didn't notice, or has something happened recently that has changed your disposition?
          This is about me, isn't it?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The rather obvious difference to me in regards to Coca-Cola and all of the statues and stuff is that Coca-Cola the brand has basically nothing to do with John Stith Pemberton in the present. Maybe it was founded by him, but he's not really promoted in any particularly special way by them that I know of. This is a far cry from statues that specifically commemorate controversial individuals.

If there was some brand of Cola-Cola called Pemberton I could more readily see the comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
              The rather obvious difference to me in regards to Coca-Cola and all of the statues and stuff is that Coca-Cola the brand has basically nothing to do with John Stith Pemberton in the present. Maybe it was founded by him, but he's not really promoted in any particularly special way by them that I know of. This is a far cry from statues that specifically commemorate controversial individuals.

If there was some brand of Cola-Cola called Pemberton I could more readily see the comparison.
              This looks like sound analysis.

If Coke had a long history of racial injustice, some consumers might make a few demands. If its icons/brands were sybolic of a more racist time, etc.

Comment

So, the hypocrites don't care that it was invented by a slave owner. Thanks for the explanation.
                Would its origin make you boycott it?

Comment

We're told that America as a country is guilty because its success was built by privileged white people on the backs of slaves, but an individual company that was started by a slave owner is okay?

It just shows the ridiculous inconsistency of liberals
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

He was also a drug dealer!

Comment

Do you honestly think cancel culture stops at the obvious?
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                        This looks like sound analysis.

If Coke had a long history of racial injustice, some consumers might make a few demands. If its icons/brands were sybolic of a more racist time, etc.
                        https://www.theatlantic.com/national...drinks/318929/

A Brief History of Racist Soft Drinks
                        Lots of people know about how Coca-Cola used to contain cocaine or how Pepsi was the hip drink in the 1960s. Few realize that Coke marketed assiduously to whites, while Pepsi hired a "negro markets" department.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

We're told that America as a country is guilty because its success was built by privileged white people on the backs of slaves, but an individual company that was started by a slave owner is okay?
                          Was the company built on the backs of slaves?

Comment

It began AFTER the Civil War. But slavery wasn't the only racist thing in existence.
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

aka. you concede my point. The analogy was dumb.

It began AFTER the Civil War. But slavery wasn't the only racist thing in existence.
                              OK?

Comment