Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are athletes not canceling Coke products?

God bless the USA. Ack!! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Why are athletes not canceling Coke products?

https://allthatsinteresting.com/john-pemberton

The birth of Coca-Cola begins in the late 19th century with a man named Dr. John Stith Pemberton, a slave owner who worked in medicine and fought as a Confederate soldier in the American Civil War.
    Before John Pemberton served in the Third Georgia Cavalry Battalion, he made his living as a chemist and a pharmacist. Having studied at the Reform Medical College in Macon, Georgia, Pemberton was a licensed practitioner of Thomsonian medicine, which relies on the principles of botany and herbalism to rid the body of harmful toxins.

As still happens today, at least among Western cultures, many looked at this form of medical practice with distrust and suspicion. Yet John Pemberton still went on to successfully practice his trade before eventually earning a degree in pharmacy at a school in Philadelphia, shortly before the start of the Civil War in 1861.
    Pembertonís time in the Army wasnít without personal tragedy, and at the Battle of Columbus in April 1865, he sustained a saber wound to the chest which nearly killed him. Pemberton survived, but was left to battle a crippling morphine addiction, which caretakers offered to Pemberton as a painkiller to treat his substantial wounds.

Relying on the knowledge he had gathered over his professional years, John Pemberton set out in search of a cure for addiction. He began to experiment with various herbs and plants, including the coca leaf, which, as many know by now, is the raw material used in the production of cocaine.
    By mixing coca leaves, wine, and kola nuts (in case that cocaine didnít offer a big enough caffeine kick), Pemberton came up with his first beverage, called Pembertonís French Wine Coca. The drink, advertised as an anti-depressant, a painkiller, and an all-around aphrodisiac, worked to relieve the ails of Pembertonís opioid addiction and was sold to the public, where it gained almost immediate success.

With the nationwide threat of Prohibition looming, John Pemberton sought to protect his interests and removed the alcoholic ingredient from the drinkís recipe in 1886, replacing the wine with a sugary syrup.
    Working with his longtime friend Willis E. Venable, the pair rebranded the item Coca-Cola, which they would have intended for medicinal use had they not accidentally added carbonated water to the mixture. Instead of scrapping the idea, they marketed the confection as a refreshing soft drink.

lebron-james-for-coca-cola.jpg

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    https://allthatsinteresting.com/john-pemberton

The birth of Coca-Cola begins in the late 19th century with a man named Dr. John Stith Pemberton, a slave owner who worked in medicine and fought as a Confederate soldier in the American Civil War.
    Before John Pemberton served in the Third Georgia Cavalry Battalion, he made his living as a chemist and a pharmacist. Having studied at the Reform Medical College in Macon, Georgia, Pemberton was a licensed practitioner of Thomsonian medicine, which relies on the principles of botany and herbalism to rid the body of harmful toxins.

As still happens today, at least among Western cultures, many looked at this form of medical practice with distrust and suspicion. Yet John Pemberton still went on to successfully practice his trade before eventually earning a degree in pharmacy at a school in Philadelphia, shortly before the start of the Civil War in 1861.
    Pembertonís time in the Army wasnít without personal tragedy, and at the Battle of Columbus in April 1865, he sustained a saber wound to the chest which nearly killed him. Pemberton survived, but was left to battle a crippling morphine addiction, which caretakers offered to Pemberton as a painkiller to treat his substantial wounds.

Relying on the knowledge he had gathered over his professional years, John Pemberton set out in search of a cure for addiction. He began to experiment with various herbs and plants, including the coca leaf, which, as many know by now, is the raw material used in the production of cocaine.
    By mixing coca leaves, wine, and kola nuts (in case that cocaine didnít offer a big enough caffeine kick), Pemberton came up with his first beverage, called Pembertonís French Wine Coca. The drink, advertised as an anti-depressant, a painkiller, and an all-around aphrodisiac, worked to relieve the ails of Pembertonís opioid addiction and was sold to the public, where it gained almost immediate success.

With the nationwide threat of Prohibition looming, John Pemberton sought to protect his interests and removed the alcoholic ingredient from the drinkís recipe in 1886, replacing the wine with a sugary syrup.
    Working with his longtime friend Willis E. Venable, the pair rebranded the item Coca-Cola, which they would have intended for medicinal use had they not accidentally added carbonated water to the mixture. Instead of scrapping the idea, they marketed the confection as a refreshing soft drink.

lebron-james-for-coca-cola.jpg
    Because money. And why should Christians, who aren't to be tainted by this world, care?

3. Amen Whateverman amen'd this post.
    God bless the USA. Ack!! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by whag View Post
    Because money. And why should Christians, who aren't to be tainted by this world, care?
    So, the hypocrites don't care that it was invented by a slave owner. Thanks for the explanation.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

5. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by whag View Post
    Were you always this bitter and nasty, and I just didn't notice, or has something happened recently that has changed your disposition?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

7. Amen mossrose, Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Were you always this bitter and nasty, and I just didn't notice, or has something happened recently that has changed your disposition?
    This is about me, isn't it?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since youíve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?Ē

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The rather obvious difference to me in regards to Coca-Cola and all of the statues and stuff is that Coca-Cola the brand has basically nothing to do with John Stith Pemberton in the present. Maybe it was founded by him, but he's not really promoted in any particularly special way by them that I know of. This is a far cry from statues that specifically commemorate controversial individuals.

If there was some brand of Cola-Cola called Pemberton I could more readily see the comparison.

Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraceth View Post
    The rather obvious difference to me in regards to Coca-Cola and all of the statues and stuff is that Coca-Cola the brand has basically nothing to do with John Stith Pemberton in the present. Maybe it was founded by him, but he's not really promoted in any particularly special way by them that I know of. This is a far cry from statues that specifically commemorate controversial individuals.

If there was some brand of Cola-Cola called Pemberton I could more readily see the comparison.
    This looks like sound analysis.

If Coke had a long history of racial injustice, some consumers might make a few demands. If its icons/brands were sybolic of a more racist time, etc.
    I can solve the problem of evil without interfering with anyone's free will. So can your God, but he refuses. This is why I'm His moral superior.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    So, the hypocrites don't care that it was invented by a slave owner. Thanks for the explanation.
    Would its origin make you boycott it?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraceth View Post

We're told that America as a country is guilty because its success was built by privileged white people on the backs of slaves, but an individual company that was started by a slave owner is okay?

It just shows the ridiculous inconsistency of liberals
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    He was also a drug dealer!