Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why are athletes not canceling Coke products?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
    aka. you concede my point. The analogy was dumb.
    Your point was pointless. It's like asking was it built on the back of Roman Gladiators. Completely beside the point.

OK?
    As I cited above, Coca Cola has a racist past. They even paid over $100M in 2000 to settle a discrimination lawsuit. One of their coca harvesting companies got busted in Brazil for slave labor. And there's more.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      Your point was pointless.
      The analogy being bad is very much to the point :)

You can ignore the fact that this country was built upon the backs of slaves but Coke was not if you want to, but I would respectfully advise that you take better care of your personal integrity.

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      As I cited above, Coca Cola has a racist past. They even paid over $100M in 2000 to settle a discrimination lawsuit. One of their coca harvesting companies got busted in Brazil for slave labor. And there's more.
      It was not - as was mentioned as the standard - literally built on the backs of slaves. This country was. Full stop.

Lots of things have racist histories, as it was all the rage 50+ years ago. The question then becomes has the company addressed theirs, and is there anything they do/produce today which either endorses slavery or turns a blind eye to it.

Obviously (soooooo obviously), people generally feel that Coke's racist history has been dealt with adequately. You can decide that they need to be outraged, but they don't have to listen to ya :)

Comment

Was the company built on the backs of slaves?
        It was founded by a slave owner who no doubt profited from the work of slaves and accumulated the resources to start a new company.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          It was founded by a slave owner who no doubt profited from the work of slaves and accumulated the resources to start a new company.
          Prove it. Prove they helped him raise money that was used to start and grow a successful company.

That's your claim, yet all you've done expect us to assume you're right.

Comment

Prove it. Prove they helped him raise money that was used to start and grow a successful company.

That's your claim, yet all you've done expect us to assume you're right.
            You don't think a slave owner profits from the work of his slaves?
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Bill the Cat has successfully gotten liberals to defend a slave owner.

appreciative-clap.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Bill the Cat has successfully gotten liberals to defend a slave owner.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47159[/ATTACH]
                Over and over and over, liberals are forced to defend really stupid stuff.... like full on anarchy as "peaceful protests".

They have been caused to believe a lie on so many fronts.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The analogy being bad is very much to the point :)
                  That Coke didn't exist until after slavery was outlawed is immaterial to its racist origin.

You can ignore the fact that this country was built upon the backs of slaves

No it wasn't. That is the most asinine comment that is bandied about on the subject. It was built by every race, color, and creed, and continues to be built. And additionally, most of the rich slave owners converted their money to Confederate money, which became worthless after the war. And all of what was rebuilt in the South was done by hired labor, not slave labor. So, no. the US was not built "on the backs of slaves".

But Coke was not
                  Coca Cola itself exists because of a slave owner. Full stop.

if you want to, but I would respectfully advise that you take better care of your personal integrity.
                  And I would advise that you not make sweeping generalizations like that asinine debunked slogan.

It was not - as was mentioned as the standard - literally built on the backs of slaves. This country was. Full stop.
                  Utterly false. While SOME buildings were built by, and SOME fortunes were made because of, slaves, "This Country" was not built on the backs of slaves.

Lots of things have racist histories, as it was all the rage 50+ years ago. The question then becomes has the company addressed theirs, and is there anything they do/produce today which either endorses slavery or turns a blind eye to it.
                  No. The question has always been if anything at all in your history can be construed as racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. you are cancelled... unless you pander HARD to leftists. And even then, you will suffer. (See Chris Rock, David Chapelle, and Kevin Hart). Or unless you throw butt tons of money at their loudest mouths (See LeBron James)

Obviously (soooooo obviously), people generally feel that Coke's racist history has been dealt with adequately. You can decide that they need to be outraged, but they don't have to listen to ya :)
                  Oh, I'm under no impression that you leftists would be consistent.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment