Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Cloudflare notice

  1. #1
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    55,437
    Amen (Given)
    5696
    Amen (Received)
    24232

    Cloudflare notice

    If you have seen a Cloudflare notice showing up when you first come on the site, it is because we have turned on our Distributed Denial Of Service attack protection. DDOS's are caused when a group of computers are infected with a virus and form a "botnet" that troublemakers can use to flood a website with so many page requests that it slows down to a crawl or hangs. Most members of these botnets are not even aware they have been compromised. This is a good reason to keep your antivirus and malware protection up to date.

    Cloudflare is a service that prevents these attacks from getting through by vetting the source of the page request before letting it through. Similar to a firewall. If you are a normal user, you will just see a "wait" message for a few seconds when you first access the site . After than your access should be normal. If you were a botnet, you would be blocked. The message may pop up again if you switch tabs again or post.
    Last edited by Sparko; 07-28-2020 at 05:28 AM.

  2. Amen The Melody Maker amen'd this post.
  3. #2
    tWebber Ronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,134
    Amen (Given)
    177
    Amen (Received)
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    If you have seen a Cloudflare notice showing up when you first come on the site, it is because we have turned on our Distributed Denial Of Service attack protection. DDOS's are caused when a group of computers are infected with a virus and form a "botnet" that troublemakers can use to flood a website with so many page requests that it slows down to a crawl or hangs. Most members of these botnets are not even aware they have been compromised. This is a good reason to keep your antivirus and malware protection up to date.

    Cloudflare is a service that prevents these attacks from getting through by vetting the source of the page request before letting it through. Similar to a firewall. If you are a normal user, you will just see a "wait" message for a few seconds when you first access the site . After than your access should be normal. If you were a botnet, you would be blocked. The message may pop up again if you switch tabs again or post.
    When I initially link to TWEB it goes through https. After a screen or two, it changes to http and I get the cloudfare notice. Should I have concerns about that? My home browser is set up to avoid http sites.

  4. #3
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    55,437
    Amen (Given)
    5696
    Amen (Received)
    24232
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronson View Post
    When I initially link to TWEB it goes through https. After a screen or two, it changes to http and I get the cloudfare notice. Should I have concerns about that? My home browser is set up to avoid http sites.
    Tweb is HTTP. The software we are running can't do HTTPS.

  5. #4
    tWebber Ronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,134
    Amen (Given)
    177
    Amen (Received)
    377
    https://www.theologyweb.com/campus/s...udflare-notice

    This above is currently the page I am posting from, using Explorer.

  6. #5
    tWebber NorrinRadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Wayne Township, PA
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,675
    Amen (Given)
    5701
    Amen (Received)
    1003
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    If you have seen a Cloudflare notice showing up when you first come on the site, it is because we have turned on our Distributed Denial Of Service attack protection. DDOS's are caused when a group of computers are infected with a virus and form a "botnet" that troublemakers can use to flood a website with so many page requests that it slows down to a crawl or hangs. Most members of these botnets are not even aware they have been compromised. This is a good reason to keep your antivirus and malware protection up to date.

    Cloudflare is a service that prevents these attacks from getting through by vetting the source of the page request before letting it through. Similar to a firewall. If you are a normal user, you will just see a "wait" message for a few seconds when you first access the site . After than your access should be normal. If you were a botnet, you would be blocked. The message may pop up again if you switch tabs again or post.
    I keep my AV protection up to date. Even so, until Admin lowered the Cloudfare setting to "Medium," I was totally unable to access the site, even after performing the Captcha ritual.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

    Beige Nationalist.

    "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

  7. #6
    tWebber NorrinRadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Wayne Township, PA
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,675
    Amen (Given)
    5701
    Amen (Received)
    1003
    Even with the "medium" setting presumably still in place, I was totally blocked for several hours tonight. Even the Captcha ceremony did not admit me.

    I have run two separate scanners over a period of nearly two hours, and no problems were found on my system. If my being blocked is because Cloudfare believes I'm part of a botnet, it is one my scanners can't detect.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

    Beige Nationalist.

    "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

  8. #7
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SoCal!!!
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,630
    Amen (Given)
    446
    Amen (Received)
    1090
    This article seems half related to the tweb issue

    Source: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/internet-takes-global-hit-cloudflare-221736788.html



    Internet Was Not Under “Attack” During Global Outage, Says Cloudflare DNS; Sites & Services Starting To Stabilize – Update

    UPDATE,3:31 PM: The Internet is actually not under siege and you can still watch Netflix over the weekend, it turns out – though it certainly felt like the digital world had collapsed to PONG levels for a while today.

    There are still some dark spots out there, and some sites proving a little rickety, but one of the main providers of the routers that connect domains to their actual IP addresses says they have identified the problem and are watching out for more problems.


    NFL Promises 'Action' Over Washington Team's Sexual Harassment Allegations; Besieged Owner Dan Snyder Pledges 'New Culture' At Organization
    Charter's Internet Service Hit With Record $172M Consumer Fraud Settlement
    Senate's Net Neutrality Bill Comes As States Move To Oppose FCC's Repeal
    “This afternoon we saw an outage across some parts of our network. It was not as a result of an attack,” said Cloudflare DNS on their blog just a few minutes ago after over an hour of interruption earlier Friday. “It appears a router on our global backbone announced bad routes and caused some portions of the network to not be available. We believe we have addressed the root cause and are monitoring systems for stability now.”

    Good to know.

    As a firestorm blazed over the Internet being essentially down across the world, Cloudflare CEO Matthew Prince also went online in the past few minutes to precisely identify the issues coming out of a router in Atlanta “that resulted in misrouted traffic to PoPs that connect to our backbone.” He added: “Everything is restored now and we’re looking into the root cause.”

    Certainly, as coronavirus cases continue to surge in the United States and citizens are being urged again to stay at home while politicians contemplate possible new quarantine mandates, losing the Internet would untether many right now.

    PREVIOUSLY, 3:15 PM: First it was Twitter VIPs getting hacked earlier this week and today large swaths of the Internet itself went down for a while.

    An outage of the Cloudflare DNS service saw websites and connections all over the globe DOA for almost an hour this afternoon. The issue has been identified and a fix is being implemented,” said the widely used web-infrastructure and website-security company about 10 minutes ago on its status page.

    The intermittent outage ranges from LA to Amsterdam with the heavily subscribed Amazon Web Services and media sites like Politico and others dark or frozen at times.

    “Customers using Cloudflare services in certain regions are impacted as requests might fail and/or errors may be displayed,” Cloudflare declared earlier in the day. “Data Centers impacted include: SJC, DFW, SEA, LAX, ORD, IAD, EWR, ATL, LHR, AMS, FRA, CDG,” they added using city and country airport codes.

    Across the digital landscape, Internet data analysis firm Downdetector saw plugs being figuratively pulled everywhere:

    © Copyright Original Source


  9. #8
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    55,437
    Amen (Given)
    5696
    Amen (Received)
    24232
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    This article seems half related to the tweb issue

    Source: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/internet-takes-global-hit-cloudflare-221736788.html



    Internet Was Not Under “Attack” During Global Outage, Says Cloudflare DNS; Sites & Services Starting To Stabilize – Update

    UPDATE,3:31 PM: The Internet is actually not under siege and you can still watch Netflix over the weekend, it turns out – though it certainly felt like the digital world had collapsed to PONG levels for a while today.

    There are still some dark spots out there, and some sites proving a little rickety, but one of the main providers of the routers that connect domains to their actual IP addresses says they have identified the problem and are watching out for more problems.


    NFL Promises 'Action' Over Washington Team's Sexual Harassment Allegations; Besieged Owner Dan Snyder Pledges 'New Culture' At Organization
    Charter's Internet Service Hit With Record $172M Consumer Fraud Settlement
    Senate's Net Neutrality Bill Comes As States Move To Oppose FCC's Repeal
    “This afternoon we saw an outage across some parts of our network. It was not as a result of an attack,” said Cloudflare DNS on their blog just a few minutes ago after over an hour of interruption earlier Friday. “It appears a router on our global backbone announced bad routes and caused some portions of the network to not be available. We believe we have addressed the root cause and are monitoring systems for stability now.”

    Good to know.

    As a firestorm blazed over the Internet being essentially down across the world, Cloudflare CEO Matthew Prince also went online in the past few minutes to precisely identify the issues coming out of a router in Atlanta “that resulted in misrouted traffic to PoPs that connect to our backbone.” He added: “Everything is restored now and we’re looking into the root cause.”

    Certainly, as coronavirus cases continue to surge in the United States and citizens are being urged again to stay at home while politicians contemplate possible new quarantine mandates, losing the Internet would untether many right now.

    PREVIOUSLY, 3:15 PM: First it was Twitter VIPs getting hacked earlier this week and today large swaths of the Internet itself went down for a while.

    An outage of the Cloudflare DNS service saw websites and connections all over the globe DOA for almost an hour this afternoon. The issue has been identified and a fix is being implemented,” said the widely used web-infrastructure and website-security company about 10 minutes ago on its status page.

    The intermittent outage ranges from LA to Amsterdam with the heavily subscribed Amazon Web Services and media sites like Politico and others dark or frozen at times.

    “Customers using Cloudflare services in certain regions are impacted as requests might fail and/or errors may be displayed,” Cloudflare declared earlier in the day. “Data Centers impacted include: SJC, DFW, SEA, LAX, ORD, IAD, EWR, ATL, LHR, AMS, FRA, CDG,” they added using city and country airport codes.

    Across the digital landscape, Internet data analysis firm Downdetector saw plugs being figuratively pulled everywhere:

    © Copyright Original Source

    We were having the problems before we even turned on the cloudflare service. We had it paused completely when we were having all of the slow down. I turned it on and saw how much traffic our site was getting so I turned on attack mode.

    We are still receiving way too much traffic which indicates an attack, since we don't have that many users. last check was showing over 9,000 page requests hitting us. I blocked some IP addresses that seemed to be causing much of it. Not sure if that was a web crawler or a botnet. I turned off attack mode and switched to "high" mode for now. I also rebooted tweb to clear out some memory problems.

    If the traffic drops after this I will pause cloudflare again.

  10. #9
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SoCal!!!
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,630
    Amen (Given)
    446
    Amen (Received)
    1090
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    We were having the problems before we even turned on the cloudflare service. We had it paused completely when we were having all of the slow down. I turned it on and saw how much traffic our site was getting so I turned on attack mode.

    We are still receiving way too much traffic which indicates an attack, since we don't have that many users. last check was showing over 9,000 page requests hitting us. I blocked some IP addresses that seemed to be causing much of it. Not sure if that was a web crawler or a botnet. I turned off attack mode and switched to "high" mode for now. I also rebooted tweb to clear out some memory problems.

    If the traffic drops after this I will pause cloudflare again.
    The article was initially dated to July 17. It was mostly the mention of Cloudflare that got my notice even though the problem the article described was apparently about broader connectivity issues.
    Last edited by mikewhitney; 07-30-2020 at 09:19 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •