Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump follows and endorses crazy Doctor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
    I just don't see how death is a better option than a cure.
    Considering that HCQ provides more risk than benefit, the "cure" option means not taking HCQ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
      Considering that HCQ provides more risk than benefit, the "cure" option means not taking HCQ.
      But most people do not prefer the cure of death -- which ends all other diseases. The goal of science is to help you. But you can deny science and just take the natural consequence of an early death. And you can let those around you die because you want to scare them away from HCQ. It would be nice to know you are also so persistent for some good goals.

I think it was the other thread where we listed the C19study.com. I was waiting to hear what was wrong with the list of studies there. The studies included positive results and negative ones from studies done. Was there a specific study you like to highlight?
      Last edited by mikewhitney; 08-03-2020, 02:40 AM.

Comment

AFAIK, HCQ has been rejected specifically because the risks outweigh the rewards. If maximizing its efficacy entails administering it before tests come back - that'd seem to be the exact opposite of what should be being done.
        The FDA gave "emergency authorization" only for hospital settings, then revoked the authorization because of the poor risk/benefit ratio. They basically authorized its use *only* in the settings in which most advocates said it was least likely to work and most likely to have harmful side-effects, then stopped it when that proved true.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Who cares "when" you can take it. The point is that according to the scientific and medical communities, the risks outweigh the benefits.
          That is overly broad.

It would be more precise to say something like, "With some notable exceptions, 'orthodoxy' among medical academecians and to a lesser extent clinicians holds that the risks of HCQ outweigh its benefits."

On this site, the focus has been on the notably colorful Dr. Immanuel. Little attention has been paid to Drs. Harvey Risch, Stephen Smith, and Ramin Oskoui, the former being an academic, the latter practicing clinicians (in my understanding).
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

But most people do not prefer the cure of death -- which ends all other diseases. The goal of science is to help you. But you can deny science and just take the natural consequence of an early death. And you can let those around you die because you want to scare them away from HCQ. It would be nice to know you are also so persistent for some good goals.

I think it was the other thread where we listed the C19study.com. I was waiting to hear what was wrong with the list of studies there. The studies included positive results and negative ones from studies done. Was there a specific study you like to highlight?
            The problem is you are denying science and accepting Trump's and the Witch Doctor's beliefs. The research shows some but limited success for HCQ, which does not support your claims.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
              On this site, the focus has been on the notably colorful Dr. Immanuel. Little attention has been paid to Drs. Harvey Risch, Stephen Smith, and Ramin Oskoui, the former being an academic, the latter practicing clinicians (in my understanding).
              Risch is being interviewed on CNN now as I type. This is the first time I've seen or heard from him...
              Last edited by Whateverman; 08-03-2020, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Risch is being interviewed on CNN now as I type. This is the first time I've seen or heard from him...

Risch is a competent scientis, and yes there have been some positive results of using HCQ in combination with azithromycin.The article goes over different research, and the limited positive results. It empasises that the previous reasearch is without control and good randomized studies. One with a good research design showed decidedly negative results,

Name droping without the details is not an adegaute response,

Source: https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/87844

In the Newsweek editorial and in the later journal submission, both of which were published following three highly publicized randomized trials that reported no benefit from HCQ, Risch did not address or even acknowledge them.

In a statement posted on Yale's website, Sten Vermund, MD, PhD, dean of the Yale School of Public Health, distanced himself from Risch's papers.

"My role as Dean is not to suppress the work of the faculty, but rather, to support the academic freedom of our faculty, whether it is in the mainstream of thinking or is contrarian," Vermund wrote.

"Yale-affiliated physicians used HCQ early in the response to COVID-19, but it is only used rarely at present due to evidence that it is ineffective and potentially risky."

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-03-2020, 08:14 AM.
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

... when the average test takes up to two weeks to get the results back from...
                  I'm sorry, what?
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                    The FDA gave "emergency authorization" only for hospital settings, then revoked the authorization because of the poor risk/benefit ratio. They basically authorized its use *only* in the settings in which most advocates said it was least likely to work and most likely to have harmful side-effects, then stopped it when that proved true.
                    No. HCQ can still be used in scientific trials. Problem is, the randomized trials that have tested its efficacy for post-exposure prophylaxis have given negative results.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2016638

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                      No. HCQ can still be used in scientific trials. Problem is, the randomized trials that have tested its efficacy for post-exposure prophylaxis have given negative results.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2016638
                      The study has many shortcomings, beyond the ones the study itself mentions.

Here is a some of the rebuttal to the study's conclusion
                      Source: https://c19study.com/boulware.html

The authors conclude "[treatment] did not prevent illness compatible with COVID-19..", but as above this does not appear to match the data. In the context of their chosen statistics, they could say: "the data suggests a benefit for treatment, but when including the additional delay added mid-study, not analyzing the expected trend for earlier intervention being more effective, and with only 107 cases, we have not yet reached >95% statistical significance."
                      Authors say that they halted the study due to conditional power analysis, but if additional people have the same or even slightly worse results, >95% statistical significance in their metric will be reached, even when including their added 5+ days case. Further, the data is consistent with the possibility that 0 and 1 day delayed treatment is even more effective.
                      A note about power: it may seem that with 821 participants the study should have relatively high power. The problem is that only 107 had COVID-19, so the sample size is too small. Since relatively few get COVID-19, the number that need to be treated to prevent a case increases, and looks relatively high compared to other studies. But this is a treatment for preventing death in a global pandemic with a current death toll of
                      693,6978, and the treatment being studied is very inexpensive with very good and highly studied safety in controlled conditions.

Comment

The study has many shortcomings, beyond the ones the study itself mentions.

Here is a some of the rebuttal to the study's conclusion
                        Source: https://c19study.com/boulware.html

The authors conclude "[treatment] did not prevent illness compatible with COVID-19..", but as above this does not appear to match the data. In the context of their chosen statistics, they could say: "the data suggests a benefit for treatment, but when including the additional delay added mid-study, not analyzing the expected trend for earlier intervention being more effective, and with only 107 cases, we have not yet reached >95% statistical significance."
                        Authors say that they halted the study due to conditional power analysis, but if additional people have the same or even slightly worse results, >95% statistical significance in their metric will be reached, even when including their added 5+ days case. Further, the data is consistent with the possibility that 0 and 1 day delayed treatment is even more effective.
                        A note about power: it may seem that with 821 participants the study should have relatively high power. The problem is that only 107 had COVID-19, so the sample size is too small. Since relatively few get COVID-19, the number that need to be treated to prevent a case increases, and looks relatively high compared to other studies. But this is a treatment for preventing death in a global pandemic with a current death toll of
                        693,6978, and the treatment being studied is very inexpensive with very good and highly studied safety in controlled conditions.

As before, and it has not changed, this research is considered flawed by almost everybody except Trump, the Wacky Witch Doctor. and you.

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          As before, and it has not changed, this research is considered flawed by almost everybody except Trump, the Wacky Witch Doctor. and you.
                          You fail to convince anyone of anything when you speak under the influence of Trump-Derangement Syndrome and you make the issue about personalities instead of research.

You seem only able to do such mockery rather than actually responding to the studies themselves. Please show us what you understand about the studies, rather than just mocking people.

Comment

You fail to convince anyone of anything when you speak under the influence of Trump-Derangement Syndrome and you make the issue about personalities instead of research.

You seem only able to do such mockery rather than actually responding to the studies themselves. Please show us what you understand about the studies, rather than just mocking people.
                            I do have to convince anyone virtuallu by far most of scientific community, NIH, and CDC have the medical research on their side. and of course the facts of the fatalities and fatality rate world wide for CIVID-19.

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              I do have to convince anyone virtuallu by far most of scientific community, NIH, and CDC have the medical research on their side. and of course the facts of the fatalities and fatality rate world wide for CIVID-19.
                              The deaths are happening largely because people are not aware of the benefits of HCQ. Your reasoning is cyclic and it relies on a blind trust of the CDC and NIH rather than on science itself. You have been unable to examine and discuss the science thus far.

Comment

The deaths are happening largely because people are not aware of the benefits of HCQ. Your reasoning is cyclic and it relies on a blind trust of the CDC and NIH rather than on science itself. You have been unable to examine and discuss the science thus far.
                                This is not true. HCQ is actually known worldwide, and actually used worldwide with limited success. I acknowledge limited success by HCQ in coordination with other drugs and treatments.The most recent peer reviewed research based on complete research procedures, double Blind studies, and controled conditions found HCQ ineffective. There never has any study determined that it is preventive.

Frank

Comment