Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Police Agencies Pulling Out of Democratic Convention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Agencies Pulling Out of Democratic Convention

MILWAUKEE (AP) — More than 100 police agencies are withdrawing from agreements to send personnel to bolster security at next month's Democratic National Convention in Milwaukee, in part because they're concerned about a recent directive ordering police in the city to stop using tear gas to control crowds.

A citizen oversight commission last week directed Milwaukee’s police chief to publicly account for why the department used tear gas during protests in late May and early June after the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis and to change Milwaukee's police policies to ban the use of tear gas and pepper spray. The Milwaukee Fire and Police Commission said in its order that Police Chief Alfonso Morales could be fired if he fails to comply.

That order came amid intense scrutiny of police tactics at protests in Portland, Oregon, and elsewhere.

Since the Milwaukee order was issued, more than 100 law enforcement agencies in Wisconsin and across the country decided against coming to Milwaukee, Morales told WTMJ-TV on Tuesday. They were concerned with directives placed on the police department, including not allowing tear gas or pepper spray, he said.

Morales did not say which agencies would not be coming or how many officers were still expected. The original plan was to have 1,000 officers on hand from outside agencies to assist with security. Morales said utilizing the National Guard or enlisting federal assistance was under consideration.

The convention, scheduled for Aug. 17-Aug. 20 at the Wisconsin Center in downtown Milwaukee, has been scaled down to a mostly virtual event, with only about 300 people expected to attend in-person. Most of the speeches will be delivered online from other locations, though former Vice President Joe Biden has said he will be in Milwaukee to accept the nomination. Despite the event's smaller scale, police are preparing for potentially large protests in and around the venue.

A spokeswoman for the convention did not immediately return a message seeking comment Tuesday. The Milwaukee police oversight commission also did not return a message seeking comment.

Fond du Lac Police Chief William Lamb told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that the agreements were collapsing, saying he expects other agencies in the state to also withdraw. Lamb chairs the Wisconsin Police Executive Group, which is made up of police chiefs from cities with populations of more than 20,000 people.

Lamb sent a letter to Milwaukee police on July 6 outlining his organization’s concerns about limiting the use of tear gas and pepper spray. West Allis police first sent a letter to Morales with concerns in mid-June after Milwaukee’s Common Council temporarily halted the purchase of those chemicals.

“Our concern is that in the event protests turn non-peaceful, such a policy would remove tools from officers that may otherwise be legal and justifiable to utilize in specific situations,” West Allis Deputy Chief Robert Fletcher told the Journal Sentinel in an email.

Waukesha’s police chief said he was consulting with the city attorney’s office on how to withdraw from the agreement, which had promised about two dozen Waukesha officers.

Not all police departments withdrew because of the tear gas order. The Madison Police Department notified Milwaukee early this month that “an accelerating COVID-19 pandemic coupled with ongoing protests in Madison" had strained its resources, making it impossible to commit resources to the convention, the Wisconsin State Journal reported.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Good. I hope they have lots of riots and burning buildings and everything that goes along with it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I see a lot of polling about how ethnic groups, income levels, men versus women, and religious affiliations vote. I wonder if there is anything out there on how the various professions vote? I'd guess that Biden is losing the law enforcement vote.

Not sure how material such a split would be but it would be interesting.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

They hate the police anyway.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
          I see a lot of polling about how ethnic groups, income levels, men versus women, and religious affiliations vote. I wonder if there is anything out there on how the various professions vote? I'd guess that Biden is losing the law enforcement vote.

Unofficially (I get a few police magazines, including some from police unions) I can tell you that support for Trump among police officers has sky-rocketed in the face of the "defund the police" support that the Democrats are giving.

Police Union Backs Trump for Re-Election in 2020

The union is throwing its weight toward Trump. (pun intended)

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            They hate the police anyway.
            Remember Hillary's convention, where they had to beg their delegates not to spit on police?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Unofficially (I get a few police magazines, including some from police unions) I can tell you that support for Trump among police officers has sky-rocketed in the face of the "defund the police" support that the Democrats are giving.

Police Union Backs Trump for Re-Election in 2020

The union is throwing its weight toward Trump. (pun intended)

More, from this cite....

WASHINGTON (CN) – The International Union of Police Associations endorsed President Donald Trump’s 2020 re-election campaign Monday, saying he has done more for law enforcement in the past two and a half years than former President Barack Obama had done in eight.

In a statement Monday, IUPA President Sam Cabral said Trump made communities safer by signing executive orders to equip police with life-saving military equipment, championing the Mental Health and Wellness Act – which improved police access to mental health services – and providing funds to hire more law enforcement officers.

Trump “has even undone some of the harmful acts of his predecessor,” he said.

Carbral also noted Trump’s directing of Attorney General William Barr to develop a strategy to more aggressively prosecute criminals who attack police officers, along with resuming capital punishment for federal prisoners on death row after a two-year pause.

The police union chief said America’s national crime rate had decreased since Trump’s election, even though there are daily reports of violence and crime in “Democratic strongholds of Baltimore as well as Chicago.”

“Every top Democrat currently running for this office has vilified the police and made criminals out to be victims. They seem to take any union’s support for granted. Many of them still refer to the tragedy in Ferguson as a murder, despite the conclusions of every investigative inquiry to the contrary,” Carbral said in a statement. “While his candor ruffles the feathers of the left, I find it honest and refreshing. He stands with America’s law enforcement officer and we will continue to stand with him.”

And the police officers represented by the International Union of Police Associations have moms and dads, husbands and wives, brothers and sisters, voting age children, friends.....

Comment

MILWAUKEE (AP) — More than 100 police agencies are withdrawing from agreements to send personnel to bolster security at next month's Democratic National Convention in Milwaukee, in part because they're concerned about a recent directive ordering police in the city to stop using tear gas to control crowds.
                "But ... but ... we're important! We aren't your average rabble that we categorize and manipulate pay lip-service to in order to get their votes. We are the DNC! Those tear gas rules are only for little people."[sarcasm]

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Interesting question.

There are certainly officers who sympathize with the general platform of the protesters; we've seen plenty of videos of police hugging or otherwise standing with them. Nevertheless, officers tend to lean conservative politically...

I'd guess that you're right to some degree. I too am curious about how much this is happening...

Comment

How did the democrats get so messed up?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Satan.

Comment

A vampire may look rather normal until he sees a cross. Trump is their cross...
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

A citizen oversight commission last week directed Milwaukee’s police chief to publicly account for why the department used tear gas during protests in late May and early June after the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis and to change Milwaukee's police policies to ban the use of tear gas and pepper spray. The Milwaukee Fire and Police Commission said in its order that Police Chief Alfonso Morales could be fired if he fails to comply.

That order came amid intense scrutiny of police tactics at protests in Portland, Oregon, and elsewhere.

Since the Milwaukee order was issued, more than 100 law enforcement agencies in Wisconsin and across the country decided against coming to Milwaukee, Morales told WTMJ-TV on Tuesday. They were concerned with directives placed on the police department, including not allowing tear gas or pepper spray, he said.

Morales did not say which agencies would not be coming or how many officers were still expected. The original plan was to have 1,000 officers on hand from outside agencies to assist with security. Morales said utilizing the National Guard or enlisting federal assistance was under consideration.

The convention, scheduled for Aug. 17-Aug. 20 at the Wisconsin Center in downtown Milwaukee, has been scaled down to a mostly virtual event, with only about 300 people expected to attend in-person. Most of the speeches will be delivered online from other locations, though former Vice President Joe Biden has said he will be in Milwaukee to accept the nomination. Despite the event's smaller scale, police are preparing for potentially large protests in and around the venue.

A spokeswoman for the convention did not immediately return a message seeking comment Tuesday. The Milwaukee police oversight commission also did not return a message seeking comment.

Fond du Lac Police Chief William Lamb told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that the agreements were collapsing, saying he expects other agencies in the state to also withdraw. Lamb chairs the Wisconsin Police Executive Group, which is made up of police chiefs from cities with populations of more than 20,000 people.

Lamb sent a letter to Milwaukee police on July 6 outlining his organization’s concerns about limiting the use of tear gas and pepper spray. West Allis police first sent a letter to Morales with concerns in mid-June after Milwaukee’s Common Council temporarily halted the purchase of those chemicals.

“Our concern is that in the event protests turn non-peaceful, such a policy would remove tools from officers that may otherwise be legal and justifiable to utilize in specific situations,” West Allis Deputy Chief Robert Fletcher told the Journal Sentinel in an email.

Waukesha’s police chief said he was consulting with the city attorney’s office on how to withdraw from the agreement, which had promised about two dozen Waukesha officers.

Not all police departments withdrew because of the tear gas order. The Madison Police Department notified Milwaukee early this month that “an accelerating COVID-19 pandemic coupled with ongoing protests in Madison" had strained its resources, making it impossible to commit resources to the convention, the Wisconsin State Journal reported.

Maybe they can get some of the same folks who murdered in cold blood those who dared cross their illegal barricades they set up in Seattle and Atlanta to help with security.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

bump

Comment

By letting their loonie fringe take the wheel.
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment