Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 153

Thread: Nadler: Antifa violence is a myth

  1. #91
    tWebber Hypatia_Alexandria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Free thinking Continental Europe
    Faith
    Death & Taxes
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,007
    Amen (Given)
    118
    Amen (Received)
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Correct - It is not my place to officially ask, but I still think it would be a good idea.



    Incorrect. As I noted....
    Note, this was IN CONGRESS, and with the unanimous consent of the whole United States (such as it was then), after struggles had already taken place...




    Your less than artful dodge is duly noted....
    Those perceived grievances are what led to your declaration. Therefore those need to be considered in context. Otherwise you are attempting to put that proverbial wagon before the horse.
    "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" Attrib. Seneca 4 BCE - 65 CE

  2. #92
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    66,614
    Amen (Given)
    14486
    Amen (Received)
    29451
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Those perceived grievances are what led to your declaration. Therefore those need to be considered in context. Otherwise you are attempting to put that proverbial horse before the wagon.
    And, the dodge continues --- what are the contemporary grievances? What is it these anarchists which to be redressed?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  3. #93
    tWebber Hypatia_Alexandria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Free thinking Continental Europe
    Faith
    Death & Taxes
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,007
    Amen (Given)
    118
    Amen (Received)
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And, the dodge continues --- what are the contemporary grievances? What is it these anarchists which to be redressed?
    From what I have read there are long-standing grievances about the treatment of ethnic minorities by various government agencies. You also need to define your term "anarchists" because clearly not all those protesting are anarchists, anymore than all those who held grievances against their British government in the 1760s and 1770s went out rioting, beating up and intimidating fellow citizens, and vandalising.

    Edit. If you want a serious historical exchange terms need to be defined.
    "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" Attrib. Seneca 4 BCE - 65 CE

  4. #94
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    66,614
    Amen (Given)
    14486
    Amen (Received)
    29451
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    From what I have read there are long-standing grievances about the treatment of ethnic minorities by various government agencies.
    So, you should be able to articulate their grievances. I did with regards to the American Revolution.

    You also need to define your term "anarchists" because clearly not all those protesting are anarchists, anymore than all those who held grievances against their British government in the 1760s and 1770s went out rioting, beating up and intimidating fellow citizens, and vandalising.
    No, I don't need to define my term "anarchist", because it's well established what an anarchist is, and somebody who is trying to burn down buildings and destroy federal courthouses would easily fit into that definition.

    I am WELL AWARE that there are "peaceful protests", but no legitimate peaceful protest is going to "peacefully protest" in a riot zone.

    Edit. If you want a serious historical exchange terms need to be defined.
    No, you just need to provide the list of grievances, and more than just "From what I have read".
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  5. Amen RumTumTugger, Ronson amen'd this post.
  6. #95
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    55,275
    Amen (Given)
    5669
    Amen (Received)
    24155
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    The assertion by Nadler was that Antifa violence in Portland was a myth, not that Antifa was never involved in any kind of violence.
    JimL, CP was talking about the protests in PORTLAND. His orignal quote was:

    "Demonstrators in Portland, including some who identify as antifa,"

    And Nadler said that Antifa violence IN PORTLAND was a myth.

    Then you had to stick your nose in and say:

    "No, that wasn't the claim, CP, thats just the usual spin that you employ in your arguments in order to support your narrative."

    And now after we pointed it out to you, you say the above, which basically agrees with what we said in the first place?

    Go back to sleep.

  7. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  8. #96
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    66,614
    Amen (Given)
    14486
    Amen (Received)
    29451
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    JimL, CP was talking about the protests in PORTLAND. His orignal quote was:

    "Demonstrators in Portland, including some who identify as antifa,"

    And Nadler said that Antifa violence IN PORTLAND was a myth.

    Then you had to stick your nose in and say:

    "No, that wasn't the claim, CP, thats just the usual spin that you employ in your arguments in order to support your narrative."

    And now after we pointed it out to you, you say the above, which basically agrees with what we said in the first place?

    Go back to sleep.
    I think he's mad at me, so he frequently lashes out without thinking.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  9. #97
    tWebber Hypatia_Alexandria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Free thinking Continental Europe
    Faith
    Death & Taxes
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,007
    Amen (Given)
    118
    Amen (Received)
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    No, I don't need to define my term "anarchist", because it's well established what an anarchist is, and somebody who is trying to burn down buildings and destroy federal courthouses would easily fit into that definition.
    It therefore follows that the mobs that attacked British government buildings and the crowds of men and women who rioted, damaged property, and intimidated and injured customs officials as well as anyone they perceived was violating their boycotts on British goods were likewise "anarchists" [by your definition].
    "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" Attrib. Seneca 4 BCE - 65 CE

  10. #98
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    55,275
    Amen (Given)
    5669
    Amen (Received)
    24155
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    It therefore follows that the mobs that attacked British government buildings and the crowds of men and women who rioted, damaged property, and intimidated and injured customs officials as well as anyone they perceived was violating their boycotts on British goods were likewise "anarchists" [by your definition].
    They were rebels. They were at war and were treated as traitors by the British. Ultimately the British lost. Are you saying the US government should treat the protesters as enemy combatants and traitors? Should we dispatch the US Army to shoot them dead?

  11. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  12. #99
    tWebber Hypatia_Alexandria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Free thinking Continental Europe
    Faith
    Death & Taxes
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,007
    Amen (Given)
    118
    Amen (Received)
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    They were rebels.
    Rebelling against their lawful government.

    The only difference between the actions of American colonists that led to the declaration of independence and the British response, and today's protesters is that most Americans today see that eighteenth century rebellion as a justifiable means to an end and the result [i.e. the creation of the US] as a benefit.

    Those same Americans today view the current protests with [at least judging by comments on these boards] the expression of opinions that would have been recognised and endorsed by the British in the 1770s.
    "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" Attrib. Seneca 4 BCE - 65 CE

  13. #100
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    66,614
    Amen (Given)
    14486
    Amen (Received)
    29451
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    It therefore follows that the mobs that attacked British government buildings and the crowds of men and women who rioted, damaged property, and intimidated and injured customs officials as well as anyone they perceived was violating their boycotts on British goods were likewise "anarchists" [by your definition].
    That's beautimous, but how bout the grievances?

    The American Revolutions did a fantastic job spelling out their grievances.

    Please provide such a document for the contemporary anti-American anarchists.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •