Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I Think I Got Our Postmaster Fired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Junk mail is so much of their revenue. They wouldn't be able to charge nearly as much for ad coverages if they could be opted out of.
    Whatever happened to the idea of selling ad space on postage stamps?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Whatever happened to the idea of selling ad space on postage stamps?
      Trying to figure out what the postage stamps are supposed to advertise would be like:

Gw0Px.gif

Comment

Junk mail is so much of their revenue. They wouldn't be able to charge nearly as much for ad coverages if they could be opted out of.
        Yeah, we just need a trash barrel next to our community mailbox rack.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          One of my two main routes was mainly three apartment complexes. One of the mail rooms only had one trash can and it was usually overflowing, especially on newspaper ad day. The thing about apartment routes is it's mostly younger people (at least this one was because it was in a trendy area) who never developed the habit of checking their mail regularly, if ever. That created headaches when the boxes would fill.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

One of my two main routes was mainly three apartment complexes. One of the mail rooms only had one trash can and it was usually overflowing, especially on newspaper ad day. The thing about apartment routes is it's mostly younger people (at least this one was because it was in a trendy area) who never developed the habit of checking their mail regularly, if ever. That created headaches when the boxes would fill.
            We almost always use the "suspend mail" service when we go out of town for more than a week. One time, when we got back in town, they had CRAMMED all the mail into the box so tight you couldn't remove any of it without ripping up stuff.

But, yeah, can't be fun to try to put mail in a full-already box.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

We almost always use the "suspend mail" service when we go out of town for more than a week. One time, when we got back in town, they had CRAMMED all the mail into the box so tight you couldn't remove any of it without ripping up stuff.

But, yeah, can't be fun to try to put mail in a full-already box.
              One of my apartment residents once did that and then called my manager two weeks later to ask why I had stopped delivering his mail.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Can we just write "return to sender" on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I used to do that. I think you or someone else here gave me that idea. Unsolicited credit card applications, anything that had a postage paid return envelope, I used to fill with scrap paper, sometimes with unsolicited letters from other mail, and throw them in the mailbox. I cut all our names and addresses off first. Great fun.

Don't get too much of that anymore, mostly leaflets and flyers.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    If it's not first class mail (almost no junk mail is), or doesn't say "address service requested", it won't be returned to sender, it'll just be thrown away.

Comment

If it's not first class mail (almost no junk mail is), or doesn't say "address service requested", it won't be returned to sender, it'll just be thrown away.
                      fine by me!

Comment

I've heard that some post offices have had mail sorting machines taken away this week by the new Postmaster _who I also found out has millions of dollars invested in competitors). I didn't want to believe it, but the President's comments today and yesterday sound an awful lot like admitting he's trying to sabotage the Post Office. (I copied the link on my phone but it didn't take for some reason). A sad situation all around.

Link: https://www.rollcall.com/2020/08/13/...f3_Be5-qaRVja0
                        Last edited by KingsGambit; 08-13-2020, 11:09 AM.

Comment