Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump explicitly floats idea of delaying the election ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Another lobster speaks.
    I've repeatedly corrected people on here, you included, on the fact I'm not a Trump Supporter. At this point, you're either being willfully ignorant or you've fully embraced the Fundamentalist Mindset and think that anyone who doesn't follow in lockstep with you supports The CheetoDome. ETA: Or you think I'm lying but have neither the evidence nor the spine to call me out on it.

Keep in mind that once you have been completely numbed to anything and everything he says, no matter how absurd, or dangerous, he is free to choose which of those things to make good on while folks like you defend his destruction of the framework that is required for our country to remain free from tyranny.

The idea that a suggestion that would undermine the very fabric of our society are tolerated by Trump supporters shows just haw far down the hole we are, and how dangerously close we are to losing our country and its freedoms. This kind of talk can't be excused, it is far too dangerous. And only fools ignorant of history would believe such a comment from the President of the US can be treated as without consequence.
    Just because I'm not shrieking like a harpy in heat like you are 24/7 doesn't mean I've been numbed. At best? It was a DOA notion proffered by an idiot, and needs to be written off as such. At worst? It was a trollish misdirection meant to provoke people like you into a deluded self-righteous frenzy, and thus the old Internet adage, "Do Not Feed the Troll," should be practiced.

Also, it's not THE END OF SOCIETY if you don't have a rigidly fixed election date. Our elections here in Canada have to be called roughly every 4-5 years with voting taking place in Late October (as of 2009), however there's nothing saying a Minority Government can't get slapped with a Motion of Non-Confidence or the current Prime Minister calling an Election early (typically when their Approval Rating is High). We've had elections in pretty much every month of the year.
    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
      I've repeatedly corrected people on here, you included, on the fact I'm not a Trump Supporter....
      Yeah you are! Unless you hate Trump with a passion, you're a supporter.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        You have to hate Trump with a passion and post long-winded screeds on why Trump is a threat to this country over and over and over again.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
          I briefly considered actually addressing the content of the insane diatribe, but you two handled it far better.
          You have to give them credit for inventing bogeymen: "What if Trump refuses to leave office?" "What if Trump sends troops into every state?" "What if Trump suspends habeas corpus?" "What if a meteor crashes into Climate Change and expands the Ozone Hole and the world runs out of oil during a worldwide depression caused by Trump?"

I like the last one because it consolidates several bogeymen crises-es into one.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
            You have to hate Trump with a passion and post long-winded screeds on why Trump is a threat to this country over and over and over again.
            But... but... what if I have other far more productive and mentally healthy things to do than screech from the mountaintops about someone I despise who very likely doesn't even know or care I exist?
            Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Wow, I posted three posts in this thread about the same subject. Note to self, if the post seems like it didn't go through the first time, just assume it did.

Comment

I wonder if Putin has instructed Trump on how to make America grate.
                You may have heard about the viral video featuring a group of fringe doctors spouting dangerous falsehoods about hydroxychloroquine as a covid-19 wonder cure.

In fact, it’s very possible you saw the video since it was shared on social media tens of millions of times — partly thanks to President Trump who retweeted it more than once, and who described the group’s Stella Immanuel, also known for promoting wacky notions about demon sperm and alien DNA, as “very impressive” and even “spectacular.”

Given this and a few other hideous developments, it’s time to acknowledge the painfully obvious: America has waved the white flag and surrendered.

With nearly 150,000 dead from covid-19, we’ve not only lost the public-health war, we’ve lost the war for truth. Misinformation and lies have captured the castle.

And the bad guys’ most powerful weapon? Social media — in particular, Facebook.

Some new research, out just this morning from Pew, tells us in painstaking numerical form exactly what’s going on, and it’s not pretty: Americans who rely on social media as their pathway to news are more ignorant and more misinformed than those who come to news through print, a news app on their phones or network TV.

And that group is growing.

The report’s language may be formal and restrained, but the meaning is utterly clear — and while not surprising, it’s downright scary in its implications.

“Even as Americans who primarily turn to social media for political news are less aware and knowledgeable about a wide range of events and issues in the news, they are more likely than other Americans to have heard about a number of false or unproven claims.”

Specifically, they’ve been far more exposed to the conspiracy theory that powerful people intentionally planned the pandemic. Yet this group, says Pew, is also less concerned about the impact of made-up news like this than the rest of the U.S. population.

They’re absorbing fake news, but they don’t see it as a problem. In a society that depends on an informed citizenry to make reasonably intelligent decisions about self-governance, this is the worst kind of trouble.

And the president — who knows exactly what he is doing — is making it far, far worse. His war on the nation’s traditional press is a part of the same scheme: information warfare, meant to mess with reality and sow as much confusion as possible.
                https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...c21_story.html
                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

He wouldn't have said that if he didn't think he was in danger of losing. And that's a bad thing for your party with the Senate in play. In 1996, Bob Dole knew he was going to lose but fought hard to the end, and keeping an air of competitiveness helped his party's congressional candidates.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                    But... but... what if I have other far more productive and mentally healthy things to do than screech from the mountaintops about someone I despise who very likely doesn't even know or care I exist?
                    Sorry but...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      Another lobster speaks.

That's a new one. What's it supposed to signify?
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

That's a new one. What's it supposed to signify?
                        Jim has this thing about dropping a lobster into water and slowly turning up the heat (I'm familiar with this with reference to a frog) and the lobster will boil to death without noticing he's been cooked.
                        The frog myth has been proven false.

He thinks we're the lobsters.

The problem with the lobster myth is that you don't boil lobsters that way. You put them alive immediately into boiling water (or steam them) because they have a bacteria called Vibrio that grows very quickly when they die. It's very hard to get rid of, so you keep the lobster alive, and plunge into boiling water.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                          Wow, I posted three posts in this thread about the same subject. Note to self, if the post seems like it didn't go through the first time, just assume it did.
                          Yup, that's about it.
                          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Jim has this thing about dropping a lobster into water and slowly turning up the heat (I'm familiar with this with reference to a frog) and the lobster will boil to death without noticing he's been cooked.

The problem with the lobster myth is that you don't boil lobsters that way. You put them alive immediately into boiling water (or steam them) because they have a bacteria called Vibrio that grows very quickly when they die. It's very hard to get rid of, so you keep the lobster alive, and plunge into boiling water.
                            I really like eating lobster, but that whole part about literally boiling them alive always kinda creeps me out.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              I really like eating lobster, but that whole part about literally boiling them alive always kinda creeps me out.
                              Yeah, NEVER ask what goes on in the kitchen!

Comment

Lobster sounds better than frog. But hey, there are plenty of analogies to use in terms of building progressive tolerance to something dangerous or normally intolerable.

The real problem here is the reality. These are basic foundation level issues that the hateLibs on this site are willing to compromise because of their obsessive hatred of all liberals.

And yes, it is ironic that the ones that rant the most about what they call obsessive hatred of Trump are in reality the ones willing to compromise our nation and our faith's most fundamental principles and teachings in order to gain some small reward in their fight against liberal ideologies - even if the loss of the principle compromised is 10x the cost to our society than whatever element of liberal thinking experiences some marginal pushback.
                                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-30-2020, 04:14 PM.
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment