Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump explicitly floats idea of delaying the election ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personally I don't see the deal. He can't do it after all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      Personally I don't see the deal. He can't do it after all.
      No, fortunately, he cant.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        We are recognizing it for what it is. You, however, are seeing FAR more than is there.

No. It's really not.

No, Jim, we're simply not totally flipping out.
        As I said, those minimizing what trump is trying to do are the ones in the wrong here. Freedom is only retained if those that love it remain vigilant and have no tolerance for those that would take it.

And as I pointed out, I have good company. I linked to a piece by george will, a truly brilliant man no stranger to history or politics, and not prone to hysteria. The bottom line is your attempts to pretend there is something wrong with me relative to the concern I have on this is simply your own display of your own ignorance of what Trump is doing in the context of history.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          As I said, those minimizing what trump is trying to do are the ones in the wrong here.
          In your opinion.

Freedom is only retained if those that love it remain vigilant and have no tolerance for those that would take it.
          You are not free, Jim. Trump has you in a cage.

And as I pointed out, I have good company.
          Just about every anti-Christian bigot on this board?

I linked to a piece by george will, a truly brilliant man no stranger to history or politics, and not prone to hysteria.
          Will is entitled to his opinions, as well.

The bottom line is your attempts to pretend
          This is a dishonest accusation - I am not "attempting to pretend" anything, and I wish you would drop that kind of incivility.

there is something wrong with me relative to the concern I have on this is simply your own display of your own ignorance of what Trump is doing in the context of history.
          It is my opinion that you are allowing this extreme hatred of Trump to distort everything you read and hear about him, and take it to absolute extremes. I don't "attempt to pretend" that --- that is my sincere opinion.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            In your opinion.

You are not free, Jim. Trump has you in a cage.

Just about every anti-Christian bigot on this board?

Will is entitled to his opinions, as well.

This is a dishonest accusation - I am not "attempting to pretend" anything, and I wish you would drop that kind of incivility.

It is my opinion that you are allowing this extreme hatred of Trump to distort everything you read and hear about him, and take it to absolute extremes. I don't "attempt to pretend" that --- that is my sincere opinion.
            What you are doing here is mild gaslighting CP. And the reason I point to george will is to help you recognize that fact. His opinions are my own, though I am not deriving my opinions from him. He is not some lightweight you can dismiss because you think his thinking is unclear or muddled by whatever excuse you use to dismiss my words. The simple reality is my issues with Trump are not based on an irrational 'hatred', but rather genuine and legitimate concern over his destructive behavior, especially when it undermines our relationship with our allies, or abuses our constitution, or abuses people and populations of people.

The problem here is not my reaction to those things, but rather your own indifference to them.
            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 08-02-2020, 08:33 AM.

Comment

What you are doing here is mild gaslighting CP.
              No, Jim, we've been through that before. Gaslighting is when you try to convince an otherwise sane and rational person that they're going crazy.
              That's not what's happening here at all.

And the reason I point to george will is to help you recognize that fact.
              George Will has nothing to do with my sincere believe that you are overly reacting to Trump.

His opinions are my own, though I am not deriving my opinions from him. He is not some lightweight you can dismiss because you think his thinking is unclear or muddled by whatever excuse you use to dismiss my words. The simple reality is my issues with Trump are not based on an irrational 'hatred', but rather genuine and legitimate concern over his destructive behavior, especially when it undermines our relationship with our allies, or abuses our constitution, or abuses people and populations of people.
              Please don't try to tell me whose opinions I should trust, Jim.

The problem here is not my reaction to those things, but rather your own indifference to them.
              I am concerned about Trump, but I do not live in fear, nor do I fixate on him like you and JimL and the other anti-Christian posters do.
              I am praying for him as directed by God's Word.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

There are many both here and writing opinion pieces in various news outlets that recognize what is happening, what Trump is doing. I am neither alone nor extreme in my concern or assessment of the situation.

George Will is one of them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...outputType=amp

(1) The WaPo ranks low as an objective source on anything regard Trump, IMHO.

(2) AFAIK George Will is a 'never Trumper' - he quit the Republican party in 2016 when Trump was nominated. IOW, he's not at all objective.

(3) Since I have good reason to believe that you are hopelessly biased, prejudiced and irrational when it comes to Trump; plus ready to become personally abusive and hostile when your views are challenged, I take your negative opinion as possible evidence for the opposite of what you shriek about.

It's possible that Trump is using some negative psychology: He thinks the Dems would like a delay, so this pushes them to publicly denounce the mere suggestion of a possible delay. Also the timing of it draws attention away from other concurrent news. Also it possibly allows a push for other public events (like opening schools etc) since we 'must have' an election. Also makes mail in voting etc an issue in the public mind, and thus possibly makes cheating using that less likely.

There's a bunch of possible explanations for Trump's question.
                ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                  (2) AFAIK George Will is a 'never Trumper' - he quit the Republican party in 2016 when Trump was nominated. IOW, he's not at all objective.
                  Will was a "traditional" conservative when it was expedient to be so, but he was never a Republican party loyalist. On This Week With David Brinkley, shortly before the general election in '96, Will lambasted Robert Dole (I can't remember the precise complaint now, which seemed minor to me, but his timing was horrible). His criticism was harsh enough to translate into an endorsement of Bill Clinton.

And is partly why I never bother with the plethora of political "talking heads" anymore. What's the point? You either nod in agreement or get aggravated with them. They almost never offer a viewpoint that I haven't already considered.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                    (1) The WaPo ranks low as an objective source on anything regard Trump, IMHO.

(3) Since I have good reason to believe that you are hopelessly biased, prejudiced and irrational when it comes to Trump; plus ready to become personally abusive and hostile when your views are challenged, I take your negative opinion as possible evidence for the opposite of what you shriek about.

It's possible that Trump is using some negative psychology: He thinks the Dems would like a delay, so this pushes them to publicly denounce the mere suggestion of a possible delay. Also the timing of it draws attention away from other concurrent news. Also it possibly allows a push for other public events (like opening schools etc) since we 'must have' an election. Also makes mail in voting etc an issue in the public mind, and thus possibly makes cheating using that less likely.

There's a bunch of possible explanations for Trump's question.
                    Trump has demonstrated enough ignorance of the constitution and of history that it's plausible that he thought he could get away with delaying the election. But it's more likely that the suggestion was simply part of his plan to delegitimize the election in the minds of his supporters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                      I mean, he revealed highly classified intelligence to the Russian ambassador after inviting him into the white house, within a few months of taking office.

If that wasn't enough to alarm the people who support him, literally nothing ever could.
                      You have to admire the sweet deal Trump has suckered from his fan base: he is able to get all the credits, none of the blame, all of the time. AND to top it all, fan base always wins, regardless...

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                        You have to admire the sweet deal Trump has suckered from his fan base: he is able to get all the credits, none of the blame, all of the time. AND to top it all, fan base always wins, regardless...
                        The one time I remember seeing significant pushback among the base was when he proposed gun control after one of the major shootings. T_D was about to have a heart attack.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                          The problem with Trump isn't actually Trump.

It's with Republicans who are happy to have American values and institutions undermined. They're eager to throw their own supposed values under the bus, as long as it facilitates the aforementioned undermining. They wallow in lies and misinformation, and oppose anything/everything which comes from outside the in-group.

They're fundamentally unAmerican.

ps. there can be reasonable Republicans / conservatives - but they've gone very very quiet (for the most part)...
                          Last edited by Whateverman; 08-02-2020, 11:35 AM.

Comment

It's with Republicans who are happy to have American values and institutions undermined.
                            From the side that has given us such things as

Last edited by rogue06; 08-02-2020, 11:44 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's with Republicans who are happy to have American values and institutions undermined. They're eager to throw their own supposed values under the bus, as long as it facilitates the aforementioned undermining. They wallow in lies and misinformation, and oppose anything/everything which comes from outside the in-group.

They're fundamentally unAmerican.

ps. there can be reasonable Republicans / conservatives - but they've gone very very quiet (for the most part)...
                              The top brass of the GOP always knew that power trumps principles but were always able to finesse their so-called principles as wedge issues to secure the fan base's loyalty. So when Trump came into the political arena, the fan base was more than ready to gobble up Trump's rhetoric.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                From the side that has given us such things as

[center][ATTACH=CONFIG]47318[/ATTACH]
                                Prove this person isn't a conservative Republican Christian.

Comment