Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Congressman Louie Gohmert gets tested positive for COVID-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Yes, and I agree with you that he only wore it on the pitchers mound as an "example", and as soon as he thought he was away from the cameras, the mask came off (as the saying goes, you can judge a man's character by what he does when he thinks nobody is watching).

Come on, man, don't get gun shy on me just because we're essentially saying the same thing.
    we aren't even close MM. The photo you referenced is not a violatiom of any advice fouci has given.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      If you're talking about the Nationals game he is also not exactly practicing social distancing there either while the mask kept his chin warm.

But when he goes out to the pitcher's mound, when the closest person isn't merely 6' away but more like 60', then he wears a mask.
      He wasn't drinking water on the pitcher's mound.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
        Nor was he around anyone within spitting distance. That's like these clowns you see driving around town with no one in their car, fully masked up.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          Nor was he around anyone within spitting distance. That's like these clowns you see driving around town with no one in their car, fully masked up.
          Yes, he could have dispensed with the mask while on the mound. Though given how he threw the ball, the mask was probably a good idea.

But seriously, he knew that all the cameras would be on him while he was on the mound, and I'm sure he didn't want to be the subject of controversy by being maskless. If he had considered that they would be taking pictures of him in the stands, he probably would have moved away from his wife and friend in order to drink his water, even though that would have also been unnecessary.

Comment

Yes, he could have dispensed with the mask while on the mound. Though given how he threw the ball, the mask was probably a good idea.

But seriously, he knew that all the cameras would be on him while he was on the mound, and I'm sure he didn't want to be the subject of controversy by being maskless. If he had considered that they would be taking pictures of him in the stands, he probably would have moved away from his wife and friend in order to drink his water, even though that would have also been unnecessary.
            This is one where clearly the forces loyal to trump want to find fault, and will find fault, regardless of what he does. Because Fauci is the voice of reason and intelligence, and the contrast between that and what Donald Trump says and does is so clear, so devastating to the Trump fantasy and ego, that Fauci must be smeared and eliminated or otherwise rendered ineffective.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

He must have guzzled a couple gallons then considering the number of pictures taken at different points in time throughout the game. And in nearly all of them a cup was nowhere near his mouth which was busy chatting away to folks who are sitting right next to him (not even a seat away much less 6').

ETA: And keep in mind he had been talking about postponing sporting events for the rest of the year or if permitting them then banning fans from attending.

That's a whole lot of rules for thee but not me there you have to hand wave away.
              Last edited by rogue06; 08-05-2020, 02:25 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                He must have guzzled a couple gallons then considering the number of pictures taken at different points in time throughout the game. And in nearly all of them a cup was nowhere near his mouth which was busy chatting away to folks who are sitting right next to him (not even a seat away much less 6').
                Family members, people he lives with. And he was isolated from anyone else. Keeping in mind a picture covers 1/30 of a second or less. I would be very easy to capture a boatload of such pictures given he had no need to wear a mask in the area he was sitting and around the people he was sitting with and given that to drink a bottle of water would require lowering the mask many times.

ETA: And keep in mind he had been talking about postponing sporting events for the rest of the year or if permitting them then banning fans from attending.

That's a whole lot of rules for thee but not me there you have to hand wave away.
                Science is about learning rogue. You know that. Your complaints are exaggerations at best. And as we are seeing, sports participants (the players) are in fact having a very difficult time staying well.

In this particular event, he was well isolated from anyone he could spread covid to or get covid from that is not a member of his immediate household or close circle that he is exposed to all the time anyway.

There is nothing to complain about here, except for those that are looking for ways to punish Fauci for bursting Trump's bubble.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  Family members, people he lives with.
                  The one could well be his wife, but the other guy? I seriously doubt that they live together.

And keep in mind that people are being prohibited from visiting family members. At best in several areas many can only stand outside and say hello through a window. Moreover, in some areas people can't even have funerals for loved ones without the powers that be sending the police to stop it (I'm look at you New York and New Jersey).

But Fauci is exempt from all that.

And he was isolated from anyone else. Keeping in mind a picture covers 1/30 of a second or less.
                  Keep in mind that there were several photos from different angles taken at different times during the game. Or are you trying to say that throughout the game they were social distancing but every so often they would get close and drop the masks -- and people were able to capture all of these fleeting moments on film?

No ox, the simple answer is that this was how Fauci and crew spent the game.

I would be very easy to capture a boatload of such pictures given he had no need to wear a mask in the area he was sitting and around the people he was sitting with and given that to drink a bottle of water would require lowering the mask many times.
                  In several of the photos there is no bottle or cup anywhere near his face and in almost all of them he is gabbing away.

And let's not overlook that Fauci had said that maybe sporting events couldn't take place this year at all and if they did then fans, like him and his crew, should be prohibited from attending.

As I said, there's a whole lot of rules for thee but not for me going on there that needs to be explained away. Or you could just admit that he's a hypocrite who won't even follow his own directives.
                  Last edited by rogue06; 08-07-2020, 06:09 AM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

https://fxn.ws/31pwLwp

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine tested negative for COVID-19 on Thursday hours after testing positive before he was set to greet President Trump at the Cleveland airport, according to a statement by the governor's office.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      https://fxn.ws/31pwLwp

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine tested negative for COVID-19 on Thursday hours after testing positive before he was set to greet President Trump at the Cleveland airport, according to a statement by the governor's office.
                      One of the problems (or benefits) of those rapid antigen tests is the number of false positives, which can keep you from being able to hang out with Trump.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                        One of the problems (or benefits) of those rapid antigen tests is the number of false positives, which can keep you from being able to hang out with Trump.
                        The problem is that they don't delete the positive test when this happens.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                          The problem is that they don't delete the positive test when this happens.
                          False negatives greatly outweigh false positives, so that's really only a problem for those of us who think we should do more to fight the spread of the virus.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            The one could well be his wife, but the other guy? I seriously doubt that they live together.

And keep in mind that people are being prohibited from visiting family members. At best in several areas many can only stand outside and say hello through a window. Moreover, in some areas people can't even have funerals for loved ones without the powers that be sending the police to stop it (I'm look at you New York and New Jersey).

But Fauci is exempt from all that.

Keep in mind that there were several photos from different angles taken at different times during the game. Or are you trying to say that throughout the game they were social distancing but every so often they would get close and drop the masks -- and people were able to capture all of these fleeting moments on film?

No ox, the simple answer is that this was how Fauci and crew spent the game.

In several of the photos there is no bottle or cup anywhere near his face and in almost all of them he is gabbing away.

And let's not overlook that Fauci had said that maybe sporting events couldn't take place this year at all and if they did then fans, like him and his crew, should be prohibited from attending.

As I said, there's a whole lot of rules for thee but not for me going on there that needs to be explained away. Or you could just admit that he's a hypocrite who won't even follow his own directives.
                            Source: Anthony Fauci defends not wearing mask while watching Nationals game

White House coronavirus task force member Dr. Anthony Fauci on Friday defended himself from charges of hypocrisy after he was seen not wearing a mask or social distancing while watching baseball.

Fauci wore his mask on his chin in multiple images from Nationals Park stadium on Thursday after he threw out the opening pitch of the Yankees-Nationals game. The infectious diseases expert, celebrated by President Trump’s critics for his willingness to fault the US pandemic response, was seen sandwiched shoulder-to-shoulder between two other people in the virtually empty stadium.

But Fauci rejected social media criticism as “mischievous” in a Fox News interview.

“I had my mask around my chin. I had taken it down. I was totally dehydrated and I was drinking water, trying to rehydrate myself,” Fauci insisted. “And by the way, I was negative COVID literally the day before. So I guess people want to make a big event. I wear a mask all the time when I’m outside. To pull it down to take some sips of water and put it back up again, I guess if people want to make something about that, they can. But to me, I think that’s just mischievous.”

In one image, Fauci was seen with his mask on his chin grinning at a friend to his right. In another image, Fauci looked straight ahead watching the game, with empty hands pointed toward the field.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

So much for it was for a split second while he was taking a sip of water

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Source
                              [/cite]
                              So much for it was for a split second while he was taking a sip of water
                              Nothing in the article supports your accusation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                                False negatives greatly outweigh false positives, so that's really only a problem for those of us who think we should do more to fight the spread of the virus.
                                Actually, my oldest does COVID testing, and she said the exact opposite. False positives far outweigh false negatives in her lab. They intentionally run 2 swabs per patient just to account for expected false positives because of the nature of the control substance used. She explained it to us this weekend, but it went pretty far over my head. I don't do lab terminology very much.
                                That's what
                                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment