Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Are All White People Racist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    That is the most nonsensical thing I can recall hearing from you. Are these the same majority of white people who elected Obama ... twice? Most people just want to get along and mind their own business, and that goes for all ethnic groups.
    Black Panthers during the 60s-70s were calling (and actually hoping) for a race war. All races have been doing throughout history. Whateverman's trolling really is obnoxious. And if he's a white dude, that makes no sense why he's self-deprecating his own race with lies. If he's black, I guess I can see why he'd say stupid stuff like that if he's BLM advocate, but if he's white, that's just extremely creepy.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
      The fact that white people have been predicting a race war for several centuries?
      You said "white people" were "hoping" for a race war. I said most people just want to get along.

Your link does not support your claim.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        This is the recipe for race wars or at least gulags.
        I just saw that she is a white woman.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
          I do agree with that.

I would also point out that racism is a cultural construct.

We all need to remember that we all started off black.
          Think of the song in South Pacific -- "we have to be carefully taught."

I think if we are brought up by a racist, they can influence us to be racists too.

However, it can work the other way. Once we get out in society and meet other people of a different color and find them good people, we can see the error of the racists point of view; the result could hopefully result in not teaching our children to be racists.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I just saw that she is a white woman.
            she is projecting her racism on everyone else

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              It appears there are certainly elements in the community of people of color who want to push this to a race war.

And there are certain elements in the alt-right community who would gladly say, "hey Bubba, hold my beer and hand me my AR".
              There was an incident near me. A white police officer accidentally turned on his dashcam and was casualling telling another officer how he was looking forward to shooting black people in the coming race war. It made me wonder how many people are thinking it but not saying it.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                There was an incident near me. A white police officer accidentally turned on his dashcam and was casualling telling another officer how he was looking forward to shooting black people in the coming race war. It made me wonder how many people are thinking it but not saying it.
                wow
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

All humans ar epotentially, but necessarily racist as individuals, because of the nature of being fallible human. Nonetheless our Anglo Saxon white culture is historically extremely tribal and racist.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    If you found their behavior suspicious only because they were black, then you're probably a racist. If they were behaving genuinely suspiciously, then you're probably not.

I personally don't have this hangup, but then again, I'm also not a liberal.
                    You're barely human, though, so the latter isn't surprising.

It's not a hangup, but it's something I need to be wary of. Recognizing that the problem exists is a good way to keep it from being a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      This is known as 'argument by weblink', and is not allowed.
                      In context, I just assumed it was a link to some even more "nonsensical" stuff he himself had said.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                        As for the main thesis of the book by Robin DiAngelo I found it very interesting. I think what gets to people is that she takes a more modern sociological systems view of racism, where conservatives tend to focus on specific and very explicit actions on an individual level.

Her whole point has also been that white people tend to get unreasonable upset when critical questions are asked, and it is suggested that we have tendencies, assumptions or biases that we might not be aware of. It's this unreasonableness that she's called 'White Fragility'.

https://www.tolerance.org/magazine/s...robin-diangelo

I have her book on the backburner, right now I'm reading the Oxford series on American History.

Source: Robin DiAngelo - Tolerance Magazine

What are some ways that white people can begin to build their emotional stamina?

Foundationally [we] have to change our idea of what it means to be racist. As long as you define a racist as an individual who intentionally is mean, based on race, you’re going to feel defensive. When I say you’ve been shaped by a racist system—that it is inevitable that you have racist biases and patterns and investments—you’re going to feel offended by that. You will hear it as a comment on your moral character. You’re going to feel offended by that if you don’t change how you’re interpreting what I just said. And I would actually agree with anyone who felt offended when I say, “It is inevitable that you are racist,” if their definition of a racist is someone who means harm.

When we understand racism as a system that we have been raised in and that its impact is inevitable, it’s really not a question of good or bad. It’s just, “I have it. I have been socialized into it.” And so, “What am I going to do about it?” is really the question. And that’s where, I think, maybe some guilt could come in, when you know that and you’re still not going to do anything about it. I don’t struggle with guilt because, to the best of my ability, I am trying to challenge my socialization. So, let me be really clear: As a result of being raised as a white person in this society, I have a racist worldview. I have racist biases. I have developed racist patterns as a result, and I have investments in the system of racism. It’s incredibly comfortable. It’s certainly helped me with the barriers that I do face. And I also have investments in not seeing anything I just said—because of what it would suggest to me about my identity as a good person, if I’m coming from the dominant definition, and what it would actually require of me in action. I don’t feel guilty about that, but I do feel responsible for what I do with that socialization.

Change how you understand what it means to be racist, and then act on that understanding. Because if you change your understanding, but you don’t do anything different, then you’re colluding.

© Copyright Original Source

"Foundationally," this pseudo-intellectual twit has concocted a brand-new unique definition of "racism," and demands we recognize it as THE definition.

No thanks.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                          You're barely human, though...
                          dehumanization of those you disagree with.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Whateverman, are you black? Not trying to offend, just genuinely curious.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              dehumanization of those you disagree with.
                              Like the Nazis did with Jews...
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                                Like the Nazis did with Jews...
                                Do not forget the Nazi race theory towards the Slavs or those of African origin. The Nazi ideology did not target only Jews.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                The things that you're liable
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life
                                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment