Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Are All White People Racist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
    White people started this and created the market, quite obviously.

Most of them claimed they were Christian, just like you do.
    Well Blacks are still doing it to Blacks in Africa, and they did it before the White man created the market. You are an ignorant man...

Slavery has historically been widespread in Africa, and still continues today in some African countries.

Systems of servitude and slavery were common in parts of Africa in ancient times, as they were in much of the rest of the ancient world. When the Arab slave trade (which started in the 7th century) and Atlantic slave trade (which started in the 16th century) began, many of the pre-existing local African slave systems began supplying captives for slave markets outside Africa.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Africa
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      So we really don't know.
      No I don't think we know precisely the skin tone of hominids from two hundred millenia ago. There are some studies, but they mainly suggest that human skin tone varies a lot in general.

Comment

As for the main thesis of the book by Robin DiAngelo I found it very interesting. I think what gets to people is that she takes a more modern sociological systems view of racism, where conservatives tend to focus on specific and very explicit actions on an individual level.

Her whole point has also been that white people tend to get unreasonable upset when critical questions are asked, and it is suggested that we have tendencies, assumptions or biases that we might not be aware of. It's this unreasonableness that she's called 'White Fragility'.

https://www.tolerance.org/magazine/s...robin-diangelo

I have her book on the backburner, right now I'm reading the Oxford series on American History.

Source: Robin DiAngelo - Tolerance Magazine

What are some ways that white people can begin to build their emotional stamina?

Foundationally [we] have to change our idea of what it means to be racist. As long as you define a racist as an individual who intentionally is mean, based on race, you’re going to feel defensive. When I say you’ve been shaped by a racist system—that it is inevitable that you have racist biases and patterns and investments—you’re going to feel offended by that. You will hear it as a comment on your moral character. You’re going to feel offended by that if you don’t change how you’re interpreting what I just said. And I would actually agree with anyone who felt offended when I say, “It is inevitable that you are racist,” if their definition of a racist is someone who means harm.

When we understand racism as a system that we have been raised in and that its impact is inevitable, it’s really not a question of good or bad. It’s just, “I have it. I have been socialized into it.” And so, “What am I going to do about it?” is really the question. And that’s where, I think, maybe some guilt could come in, when you know that and you’re still not going to do anything about it. I don’t struggle with guilt because, to the best of my ability, I am trying to challenge my socialization. So, let me be really clear: As a result of being raised as a white person in this society, I have a racist worldview. I have racist biases. I have developed racist patterns as a result, and I have investments in the system of racism. It’s incredibly comfortable. It’s certainly helped me with the barriers that I do face. And I also have investments in not seeing anything I just said—because of what it would suggest to me about my identity as a good person, if I’m coming from the dominant definition, and what it would actually require of me in action. I don’t feel guilty about that, but I do feel responsible for what I do with that socialization.

Change how you understand what it means to be racist, and then act on that understanding. Because if you change your understanding, but you don’t do anything different, then you’re colluding.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

DiAngelo's claim is exactly the sort of thing I had in mind when I drew that parallel between intersectionality and Calvinism a few months ago. Nobody else saw merit to it at the time but her prominence illuminates what I was talking about.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            DiAngelo's claim is exactly the sort of thing I had in mind when I drew that parallel between intersectionality and Calvinism a few months ago. Nobody else saw merit to it at the time but her prominence illuminates what I was talking about.
            Can you please reiterate or link to it here? I'm curious...

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              As for the main thesis of the book by Robin DiAngelo I found it very interesting. I think what gets to people is that she takes a more modern sociological systems view of racism, where conservatives tend to focus on specific and very explicit actions on an individual level.

Her whole point has also been that white people tend to get unreasonable upset when critical questions are asked, and it is suggested that we have tendencies, assumptions or biases that we might not be aware of. It's this unreasonableness that she's called 'White Fragility'.

https://www.tolerance.org/magazine/s...robin-diangelo

I have her book on the backburner, right now I'm reading the Oxford series on American History.

Source: Robin DiAngelo - Tolerance Magazine

What are some ways that white people can begin to build their emotional stamina?

Foundationally [we] have to change our idea of what it means to be racist. As long as you define a racist as an individual who intentionally is mean, based on race, you’re going to feel defensive. When I say you’ve been shaped by a racist system—that it is inevitable that you have racist biases and patterns and investments—you’re going to feel offended by that. You will hear it as a comment on your moral character. You’re going to feel offended by that if you don’t change how you’re interpreting what I just said. And I would actually agree with anyone who felt offended when I say, “It is inevitable that you are racist,” if their definition of a racist is someone who means harm.

When we understand racism as a system that we have been raised in and that its impact is inevitable, it’s really not a question of good or bad. It’s just, “I have it. I have been socialized into it.” And so, “What am I going to do about it?” is really the question. And that’s where, I think, maybe some guilt could come in, when you know that and you’re still not going to do anything about it. I don’t struggle with guilt because, to the best of my ability, I am trying to challenge my socialization. So, let me be really clear: As a result of being raised as a white person in this society, I have a racist worldview. I have racist biases. I have developed racist patterns as a result, and I have investments in the system of racism. It’s incredibly comfortable. It’s certainly helped me with the barriers that I do face. And I also have investments in not seeing anything I just said—because of what it would suggest to me about my identity as a good person, if I’m coming from the dominant definition, and what it would actually require of me in action. I don’t feel guilty about that, but I do feel responsible for what I do with that socialization.

Change how you understand what it means to be racist, and then act on that understanding. Because if you change your understanding, but you don’t do anything different, then you’re colluding.

© Copyright Original Source

Basically it is just a method to shut up any protests against the main theory of White Privilege and racism

1. White people are all racist because of white privilege
              2. No we aren't! That's stupid. I reject that whole theory.
              3. Ah! White Fragility! That confirms your racism and that I am right!

Comment

I suggested to somebody some time ago that, based on the studies of mitochondrial DNA, that the mitochondiral "Eve" was probably black, despite all the Sunday School pictures that show Adam and Eve as white European, about in their early twenties. The person didn't like that.
                When I Survey....

Comment

Can you please reiterate or link to it here? I'm curious...
                  http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post571676
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Basically it is just a method to shut up any protests against the main theory of White Privilege and racism

1. White people are all racist because of white privilege
                    2. No we aren't! That's stupid. I reject that whole theory.
                    3. Ah! White Fragility! That confirms your racism and that I am right!
                    Right you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

You were the first person in this thread to warn people about a race war. Are you a member of the Marxist left?
                      No, I'm just rational and when you accuse a whole race of something that is not only racist it will not end well.

Comment

Right you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.
                        Yep.

You are a spy!
                        No, I'm not!
                        That's exactly what a spy would say, Mr. Trump!

Comment

No, I'm just rational
                          ... and the one who brought the subject of a race war, which other "rational" white people have been predicting for centuries.

and when you accuse a whole race of something that is not only racist it will not end well.
                          Please don't go starting a race war on my behalf.

Comment

The question itself is racist.

Imagine asking any question starting out "Are all blacks..." or "Are all Hispanics..." or "Are all Asians..."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I've shied away from a few black people because I thought they were acting suspiciously on the street.
                              If you found their behavior suspicious only because they were black, then you're probably a racist. If they were genuinely behaving suspiciously, then you're probably not.

I personally don't have hang-ups like that, but then again, I'm also not a liberal.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I've shied away from a few black people because I thought they were acting suspiciously on the street.
                                If you found their behavior suspicious only because they were black, then you're probably a racist. If they were behaving genuinely suspiciously, then you're probably not.

I personally don't have this hangup, but then again, I'm also not a liberal.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment