Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: The Myth of Christian Martyrdom

  1. #11
    tWebber Hypatia_Alexandria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Free thinking Continental Europe
    Faith
    Death & Taxes
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,078
    Amen (Given)
    133
    Amen (Received)
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraceth View Post
    I don't know about the discussion but his review of the book is here:
    http://tektonticker.blogspot.com/201...s-myth-of.html


    He wrote a book on the subject, "The Fate of the Apostles." I haven't read it personally, but here's an article he wrote that gives a summary of his conclusions, presumably the book goes into much more detail:
    https://www.oneplace.com/ministries/...ell-17589.html
    Thank you for the links. However, I will prefer the opinions of an accredited academic over those a polemical blogger who wears his bias as a badge of honour.
    "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" Attrib. Seneca 4 BCE - 65 CE

  2. #12
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    55,437
    Amen (Given)
    5696
    Amen (Received)
    24231
    bump

  3. #13
    tWebber Hypatia_Alexandria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Free thinking Continental Europe
    Faith
    Death & Taxes
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,078
    Amen (Given)
    133
    Amen (Received)
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    bump
    Why the "bump"? Did you not read my reply to you?
    "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" Attrib. Seneca 4 BCE - 65 CE

  4. #14
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    55,437
    Amen (Given)
    5696
    Amen (Received)
    24231
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Why the "bump"? Did you not read my reply to you?
    Tweb was messing up and not showing the last page of some threads, including this one. I resized the server and rebooted. I found that the thread was still not showing up, so I made a test post "bump" and now it is working again

  5. #15
    tWebber Hypatia_Alexandria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Free thinking Continental Europe
    Faith
    Death & Taxes
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,078
    Amen (Given)
    133
    Amen (Received)
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Tweb was messing up and not showing the last page of some threads, including this one. I resized the server and rebooted. I found that the thread was still not showing up, so I made a test post "bump" and now it is working again
    That is a reasonable explanation. Thank you.
    "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" Attrib. Seneca 4 BCE - 65 CE

  6. Amen rogue06 amen'd this post.
  7. #16
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    66,780
    Amen (Given)
    14533
    Amen (Received)
    29513
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    That is a reasonable explanation. Thank you.
    And, thanks to you, Sparko has now used up his one allowed reasonable explanation for the rest of the year!
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  8. Amen Hypatia_Alexandria amen'd this post.
  9. #17
    tWebber Hypatia_Alexandria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Free thinking Continental Europe
    Faith
    Death & Taxes
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,078
    Amen (Given)
    133
    Amen (Received)
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And, thanks to you, Sparko has now used up his one allowed reasonable explanation for the rest of the year!
    Does he really only have one permitted "reasonable explanation" per annum? Good grief - he should speak to the Board and demand a raise.
    "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" Attrib. Seneca 4 BCE - 65 CE

  10. #18
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    66,780
    Amen (Given)
    14533
    Amen (Received)
    29513
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Does he really only have one permitted "reasonable explanation"? Good grief - he speak to the Board about a raise.
    My Texas State Representative likes to say she is only allowed 5 swear words per year.

    A few years ago, there had been a number of.. um... odd things... happening in our district, and to top it all off, a local veterinarian posted a picture on Facebook of a feral cat she shot with a bow and arrow.

    My State Rep was quite upset, cause that seemed to have topped the other "bad news" things. She said, "I used up all my swear words at the same time that day".
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  11. #19
    tWebber Hypatia_Alexandria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Free thinking Continental Europe
    Faith
    Death & Taxes
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,078
    Amen (Given)
    133
    Amen (Received)
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    My Texas State Representative likes to say she is only allowed 5 swear words per year.

    A few years ago, there had been a number of.. um... odd things... happening in our district, and to top it all off, a local veterinarian posted a picture on Facebook of a feral cat she shot with a bow and arrow.

    My State Rep was quite upset, cause that seemed to have topped the other "bad news" things. She said, "I used up all my swear words at the same time that day".
    She needs a swear box - then she could treat everyone to cakes every Christmas.
    "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" Attrib. Seneca 4 BCE - 65 CE

  12. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  13. #20
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    66,780
    Amen (Given)
    14533
    Amen (Received)
    29513
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    She needs a swear box - then she could treat everyone to cakes every Christmas.
    I do have a friend, a local judge, who has a swear jar!
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  14. Amen Hypatia_Alexandria amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •