Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biblical Reciprocity

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Biblical Reciprocity

What comes to mind? What is your first response to that phrase?

Then, thinking about it some more, what are some good examples?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Exodus 11-12 might come close.

Now the LORD said to Moses, “One more plague I will bring on Pharaoh and on Egypt; after that he will let you go from here. When he lets you go, he will surely drive you out from here completely. Speak now in the hearing of the people that each man ask from his neighbor and each woman from her neighbor for articles of silver and articles of gold.” (Exodus 11:1-2, NASB)
    Now the sons of Israel had done according to the word of Moses, for they had requested from the Egyptians articles of silver and articles of gold, and clothing; and the LORD had given the people favor in the sight of the Egyptians, so that they let them have their request. Thus they plundered the Egyptians. (Exodus 12:35-36)
    Note the word "plundered".

3. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm thinking, maybe, about the times Jesus said things like (paraphrasing) 'if you don't forgive your brothers, God won't forgive you'.

The inverse of that, I'm posing, would be a form of reciprocity. I'm probably not using the right word.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And Jesus said to them, "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's." And they were amazed at Him. (Mark 12:17)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Faber View Post
    So, how ya been?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Staying healthy, working full time at home on company computer. Listening to Christian music. Tuning to online church services from my own church and some guy in Texas. The Lord has been blessing tremendously.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I see some limits on it, because we are forbidden from taking revenge on other people.

The James passage mentioned above kind of illustrates how I see it - the biblical examples are used to remind us of how much we receive(d) from God to discourage us from being selfish us. When we think about how hard it is to forgive someone else, we think about how many times we've asked God to forgive *us* for the same sins, and that puts things into perspective. Jesus says "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". It's "as you would have", so we don't actually have any control over what other people do. All we can control is what we do.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Faber View Post
    Staying healthy, working full time at home on company computer. Listening to Christian music. Tuning to online church services from my own church and some guy in Texas. The Lord has been blessing tremendously.
    I am happy for you. Wishing you well.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I see some limits on it, because we are forbidden from taking revenge on other people.

The James passage mentioned above kind of illustrates how I see it - the biblical examples are used to remind us of how much we receive(d) from God to discourage us from being selfish us. When we think about how hard it is to forgive someone else, we think about how many times we've asked God to forgive *us* for the same sins, and that puts things into perspective. Jesus says "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". It's "as you would have", so we don't actually have any control over what other people do. All we can control is what we do.
    I was referring to the Sermon on the Mount -
    Scripture Verse: Matt 6:14-15

14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

© Copyright Original Source

It kind of reminds me of a mini-version of a covenant, where, Jesus is saying "if you do this, God will do this"... and, of course, the inverse.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'm thinking, maybe, about the times Jesus said things like (paraphrasing) 'if you don't forgive your brothers, God won't forgive you'.

The inverse of that, I'm posing, would be a form of reciprocity. I'm probably not using the right word.
    I was once told in a Bible study that if you do unto others as you expect them to do unto you, don't expect the others to do it.

Probably not what you're looking for but it's why I have a dim view of reciprocity.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom