Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Massive Explosion Rocks Beirut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    Can't find it now, but there was a reporter claiming a car bomb. Most of the reports are saying that there were dangerous explosives stored in a warehouse that finally blew.

Many years ago I witnessed an explosion that was in plain view of my house - and as it turned out, very very close to our unique Marine Mounted Color Guard stables (thanks to a very fast-thinking Marine, all the horses were saved). The explosions came from cylinders of various compressed gases that were improperly stored. They were launched into the air from a fire that came from chemicals that shouldn't have been there either. People got into a lot of trouble for the incident which got maybe 60 seconds of fame on the national news.
    The Lebanese government has said that a large amount of high explosives was confiscated from a ship and stored in a warehouse. The WaPo is saying that there was something like 2900 TONS of ammonium nitrate there but it had been there since 2014.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      If it was a bomb it might have been a bomb planted near ammonium nitrate storage. However it could also just be a fire. Let's see what the investigations turn up.

When I was a teenager a whole fireworks factory factory exploded five miles from where we lived. It gave off that white shockwave plume people describe in the video, it is just hard to see because these are videos from 2004 and phone cameras weren't as good back then.

There is talk of two explosions. The first was what started the fire, the second is the massive one resulting in that shock wave and mushroom cloud.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If it was a bomb it might have been a bomb planted near ammonium nitrate storage. However it could also just be a fire. Let's see what the investigations turn up.

When I was a teenager a whole fireworks factory factory exploded five miles from where we lived. It gave off that white shockwave plume people describe in the video, it is just hard to see because these are videos from 2004 and phone cameras weren't as good back then.

Wow!
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          There is talk of two explosions. The first was what started the fire, the second is the massive one resulting in that shock wave and mushroom cloud.
          That's in the link I posted as well.

Comment

The Lebanese government has said that a large amount of high explosives was confiscated from a ship and stored in a warehouse. The WaPo is saying that there was something like 2900 TONS of ammonium nitrate there but it had been there since 2014.
            https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...ut-moab-2020-8

The equivalent of several hundred tons of TNT, maybe 1/20th the power of the hiroshima bomb or perhaps more. No radiation though, no million degree heat. But a huge blast.

One quote in the article says it may have been equivalent to 1 to 2 kilotons.
            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 08-05-2020, 05:37 PM.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...ut-moab-2020-8

The equivalent of several hundred tons of TNT, maybe 1/20th the power of the hiroshima bomb or perhaps more. No radiation though, no million degree heat. But a huge blast.

One quote in the article says it may have been equivalent to 1 to 2 kilotons.
              I heard at noon today that it was 2000 tons.

Absolutely a horrendous tragedy.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                That shock wave was unreal - don't have much hope for those firefighters...
                I heard one report that said it was heard and felt 180 miles away in Cyprus.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

The videos of the shockwaves are chilling.

Comment

I will be interested to hear the story of how that much ammonium nitrate had been allowed to sit there for 6 years in apparently unsafe storage conditions.
                    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Comment

My goodness!
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by leonhard View Post
                          wow
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Moderated By: CP

OMB derail has been moved to its own thread - please feel free to continue the OMB derail there, not here.

Also - be cognizant of the policy NOT to argue moderation in this thread.

Thanks

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                            Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                              I will be interested to hear the story of how that much ammonium nitrate had been allowed to sit there for 6 years in apparently unsafe storage conditions.
                              So would the Gov't...they've put several officals under house arrest for duration of the investigation. I'm bothered by all I'm reading about how this issue was brought up before.

Comment

Picture of the warehouse before the explosion (trying to get it confirmed - was just shared to me on Facebook).

Comment