Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NYC Hospital Deaths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    You mean kinda like cloth face masks?
    Source: https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/duke-researchers-put-masks-face-coverings-to-the-test/19225401/

Duke researchers put masks, face coverings to the test

By Julian Grace, WRAL anchor/reporter

DURHAM, N.C. — How can consumers know how much protection their face covering really offers? A new Duke University study attempts to answer that very question.

The study conducted at Duke will help not only in the Triangle but all across the country.

Fitted N95 masks performed very well, according to the study, by keeping droplets inside the mask. But some coverings didn’t do so well.

“Stay healthy people,” said Department of Chemistry Associate Research Professor Dr. Martin Fischer. He said that each time while wearing a mask and uttering the phrase as researchers recorded droplets left on each mask.

"We want to make sure you wear a mask that actually works,” Fischer said.

"The mask that stood out by far is the N95, the true fitted N95 mask," Fischer said.

Fischer also said surgical masks "did a really good job."

Despite testing, the surgical mask didn’t do as well as the N95 because there are some gaps in the mask where droplets can escape. Researchers found that the two-layer cloth mask doesn’t give droplets much room to escape. However, it does not provide a tight seal like the N95.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      Source: https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/duke-researchers-put-masks-face-coverings-to-the-test/19225401/

Duke researchers put masks, face coverings to the test

By Julian Grace, WRAL anchor/reporter

DURHAM, N.C. — How can consumers know how much protection their face covering really offers? A new Duke University study attempts to answer that very question.

The study conducted at Duke will help not only in the Triangle but all across the country.

Fitted N95 masks performed very well, according to the study, by keeping droplets inside the mask. But some coverings didn’t do so well.

“Stay healthy people,” said Department of Chemistry Associate Research Professor Dr. Martin Fischer. He said that each time while wearing a mask and uttering the phrase as researchers recorded droplets left on each mask.

"We want to make sure you wear a mask that actually works,” Fischer said.

"The mask that stood out by far is the N95, the true fitted N95 mask," Fischer said.

Fischer also said surgical masks "did a really good job."

Despite testing, the surgical mask didn’t do as well as the N95 because there are some gaps in the mask where droplets can escape. Researchers found that the two-layer cloth mask doesn’t give droplets much room to escape. However, it does not provide a tight seal like the N95.

© Copyright Original Source

Right. The fitted N95 is the best mask, followed by the surgical mask, followed by cloth masks, followed by neck gaiters.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]47418[/ATTACH]
        Please note the source.
        That's a fake letter.
        https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ke/5486229002/

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          You may need to wait until the fact checkers check the fact checkers before coming to the same conclusion as USA Today.

However, in the current political atmosphere, it seems possible that someone would inject a faked letter in order for it to be debunked by the mainstream media. (If the document is fake, I don't think someone would feel compelled to make a fake document just to show that masks are not needed. There is enough evidence to back such a claim without forging a letter.)

Anyhow. The video was about the deaths at NYC. It is a bummer that the topic shifted over to masks.
          Last edited by mikewhitney; 08-12-2020, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
            You may need to wait until the fact checkers check the fact checkers before coming to the same conclusion as USA Today.

However, in the current political atmosphere, it seems possible that someone would inject a faked letter in order for it to be debunked by the mainstream media. (If the document is fake, I don't think someone would feel compelled to make a fake document just to show that masks are not needed. There is enough evidence to back such a claim without forging a letter.)

Anyhow. The video was about the deaths at NYC. It is a bummer that the topic shifted over to masks.
            The entire paragraph sounds different from the previous parts. the whole "mildew-ridden in 30 minutes" phrasing doesn't sound like the CDC, but someone trying to create drama. Mildew doesn't form that fast for example. I also searched the CDC website for any mention of various phrases in that paragraph and could find nothing and when I did a general web search on them all I found were articles claiming it was fake.

It is fake.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              The entire paragraph sounds different from the previous parts. the whole "mildew-ridden in 30 minutes" phrasing doesn't sound like the CDC, but someone trying to create drama. Mildew doesn't form that fast for example. I also searched the CDC website for any mention of various phrases in that paragraph and could find nothing and when I did a general web search on them all I found were articles claiming it was fake.

It is fake.
              Thanks. That is the reason I gave the long explanation. I was pointing out that the person who injected the fake letter into circulation was someone who promotes the use of masks. Someone who is against the unnecessary use of masks would not need to fake a letter. There is enough evidence to show that masks are not needed for most people.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                Thanks. That is the reason I gave the long explanation. I was pointing out that the person who injected the fake letter into circulation was someone who promotes the use of masks. Someone who is against the unnecessary use of masks would not need to fake a letter. There is enough evidence to show that masks are not needed for most people.
                You did not respond to my previous post on the Duke research on the use of masks. It described the effectiveness of masks, and it is recommended for most peopl, ased on this research and work posted concerning the studies concerning masks.

Masks have bben shown to reduce the spread of COVID-19. HCQ has not been shown remoely that it can be used as a preventive measure.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment