Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump interview with AXIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Are you denying Biden made a bizarre comment about being tested for cocaine use?
    Dishonest unethical citation with envangelical political agenda for Trump.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by David Hayward View Post
      If POTUS is claiming that increasing the number of tests done distorts the figures, it seems there's at least a partial truth in that claim whenever the increase in tests happens (as it probably should) in those areas which need it because there are outbreaks; here's an extract from the BBC reporting on UK figures being misleading:

To lies, damned lies and statistics add poor understanding of statistics. POTUS might have a point, even if he doesn't have a clue why.
      The fatalities are the issue not the number of cases nor statistics. Again fatalities are the issue not the number of cacses not statistics.. Over 158,000 deaths, and averaging over a thousand a day for two weeks. More than any other country, and only average in per capita death rate. Increasing fatalities is not distorted by testing rates.
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-06-2020, 09:21 PM.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        I'll take that as a yes.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          It's not a hunch or conjecture, it's based on a number of things Biden says that are clearly racist (though I will concede he's desperately trying not to be). It's a continual pattern with him, in addition of course to his racist history that is beyond dispute.
          People see exactly what they want to see. Biden is the bęte noire and so Biden must be accused at every possible occasion.

I am sure he holds views that are not deemed PC in today's world. I would be surprised if he did not. He's a wealthy white man in his late seventies.

However, can any of us hand on heart swear we have never had a negative thought about other groups of people or laughed at what would be deemed non PC jokes?
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            I'll take that as a yes.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
              It was clearly racially motivated, and that's how anyone, especially the left would have interpreted it had it been Trump. He used junkie and cocaine (or crack) because the guy who asked was black. It explains why he used the "Come on, man" shtick, because he was trying to be culturally "hip," the same way he addressed Charlemagne the God during his interview.
              Meh. "Come on man" is a Bidenism. You'll find it peppering statements made by him no matter the color of the skin of who he is talking to.

OTOH, Biden seems to only use certain words like "ain't" and "y'all" when talking to blacks.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                People see exactly what they want to see. Biden is the bęte noire and so Biden must be accused at every possible occasion.
                Which of course explains Biden's recent proclamation that blacks are pretty much incapable of independent thought. That they are monolithic and lack diversity in what they think

The obvious answer here is Biden has been known for being a human gaffe machine for decades and has said racist things in the past. Now, with his mental competence in noticeable decline the Freudian slips are coming at a faster rate than ever.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Which of course explains Biden's recent proclamation that blacks are pretty much incapable of independent thought. That they are monolithic and lack diversity in what they think

The obvious answer here is Biden has been known for being a human gaffe machine for decades and has said racist things in the past. Now, with his mental competence in noticeable decline the Freudian slips are coming at a faster rate than ever.
                  Well the USA looks set fair for the next four years then. Given that it will have one or other of two mentally impaired septuagenarians running the show.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Your state above is a dishonest and unethical rewording of a statement that is not significant. Compare that to Trump's misogynistic, and clearly racist statements.

Frank

Comment

Meh. "Come on man" is a Bidenism. You'll find it peppering statements made by him no matter the color of the skin of who he is talking to.

OTOH, Biden seems to only use certain words like "ain't" and "y'all" when talking to blacks.
                      Rather as the British PM Tony Blair added a glottal stop when he was getting down with certain types of voter.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        Yeah - increased testing can lead to the conclusion the infection is spreading more when it is not because more cases are uncovered.

It should not be an excuse to limit testing (Trump's approach). You just have to be a bit smarter evaluating the data (scientific approach). We need to get testing sufficiently high with sufficiently fast turnaround to allow it to serve the nation as a means to controlling the pandemic once we have the number of new daily cases to a small enough number we can do contact tracing and quarantine effectively.
                        Seems to me you do know what he was suggesting, and someone would need to read the current thoughts, points and counterpoints. He actually has access to the people who literally are the current thought, and they like talk to him...and stuff. Increase testing, increase numbers, increase anxiety. Trump is telling us we are testing way more than all others, and the downside of it how the media will use those statistics.

And I think what Biden said was clear, I immediately understood what he was communicating. Likely coached on it, he was ready with the analogy. He makes a valid point. But the whole issue started because liberals were doing the same to Trump.

This appears to be a failed projection. Project that Trump has mental issues, Trump takes test, and now the problem reveals itself, Joe is the one with cognitive decline, acts like he will not take tests, and a cloud of fright surrounds him and his handlers right now. Joe alone, with no help, required to be light on his feet and articulate in front of hundreds of millions. That even frightens me, it's elder abuse.

Biden has a real problem though, he has a history that should make every black person look closer. His friendships with old racists is troubling, even if he bows even further to Harris about it.

Comment

Well the USA looks set fair for the next four years then. Given that it will have one or other of two mentally impaired septuagenarians running the show.
                          Better a decent, law abiding, patriotic American septugenarian who believes in and defends democracy than a Putinesque, treaonous, fascist, wannabe dictator, whose corrupt Administration is trying their best to undermine the country and it's democratic allies.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            Better a decent, law abiding, patriotic American septugenarian who believes in and defends democracy than a Putinesque, treaonous, fascist, wannabe dictator, whose corrupt Administration is trying their best to undermine the country and it's democratic allies.
                            I was being ironic and I do agree.

However, I admit that I do find it disappointing that among its 300+ citizens the USA could not do better than come up with yet another white, male, septuagenarian.

My own view is that what America needs now is someone younger with some fire in their belly.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

My own view is that what America needs now is someone younger with some fire in their belly.
                              I could not agree more!

Comment

I was being ironic and I do agree.

However, I admit that I do find it disappointing that among its 300+ citizens the USA could not do better than come up with yet another white, male, septuagenarian.

I agree, with the exception of age factor. My first choice was Elizabeth Warren with Bernie Sanders a close second who, regardless of their age, are both progressives with fire in their belly. I think people have the mistaking idea that a true progressive can't win and so go with the moderate instead. Plus the system in the general election is slanted in favor of Republicans as shown in 2016 where Clinton won the popular vote by 3 million and yet lost the electoral college and so the election. The whole system is slanted toward republicans actually. The Senate is majority republican even though they represent a far smaller constituency than do the Democrats. Actually Al Gore ended up winning his election against GW Bush, but the Supreme Court gave it to Bush because of a corrupt Republican administration in Florida. It's a mess.

Comment