Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

More evidence BLM narrative is false

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post

Prior to Floyd-triggered unrest, calls for police reform were subtle but met with conservative invective. There's no pleasing the right who'd obviously rather not talk about police abuse at all. Unrest has forced you to address the problem by saying "throw more money at it." Too late for that now.

Funny how these "troubled police departments" are all in cities run strictly by Democrats for several decades, and yet somehow "conservatives" are stymieing reform.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Funny how these "troubled police departments" are all in cities run strictly by Democrats for several decades, and yet somehow "conservatives" are stymieing reform.
      I wonder how many of the "troubled police departments" has a UNION representing them, preventing fundamental change, discipline, firing of bad cops, etc...
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Sean has always been pretty adamant about that - not breaking up posts, snipping, etc.... I usually find it annoying, HOWEVER, then I see these long broken up exchanges where you kinda get lost in the "he said / she said" because there's almost a response at every point.
        It's like trying to have a conversation with someone who interrupts you after every sentence.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          It's like trying to have a conversation with someone who interrupts you after every sentence.
          Yeah, I'd get into that with Carpe, and after a while, you can't even remember what you said that they were responding to, and have to go look.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's a straight-up (slang for female dog) move to scatter posts like that. And it's typically done when the person can't make a comeback argument, so they scatter the post to make it impossible for anyone to follow anyone's initial point or subsequent points. It's like what folks do when they can make a point during an argument, they raise their voice and just talk over you with nonsensical shouting.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
              That's your problem, not mine. Point-by-point response is traditionally how discourse plays out, especially in a forum. What you did was a lazy hand wave.

Prior to Floyd-triggered unrest, calls for police reform were subtle but met with conservative invective. There's no pleasing the right who'd obviously rather not talk about police abuse at all. Unrest has forced you to address the problem by saying "throw more money at it." Too late for that now.

You cited an article showing black citizens are more sensible than liberal media portrays and want continued police presence. Fine. Yet you're worried a leaderless organization of liberal white women (if we're to believe you) will override black votes against police abolition. You can't have it both ways by saying blacks are savvy concerned citizens but are too dumb to see Biden's ruse.

What you SHOULD be acknowledging is that black population is largely wise to Biden's and Trump's manipulation of them and, like all Americans, are stuck between choosing fecal sandwich and vomit casserole.
              Again, bro, I don't see the point here or how it's relevant to the OP. There are in fact as we speak mayors and city council democrats either mulling over cutting police budgets, outrightly abolishing the police, or have actually enacted some sort of policies towards this end, just as BLM is calling for, but this is obviously on a state and city level than a federal one, so the fact you keep bringing up Trump, Biden and black voters is a moot point to the OP.
              Last edited by seanD; 08-06-2020, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                Gee, who would have guessed? And don't try and say BLM advocates aren't pushing for this because they are. What's even more disturbing is you have mayors and city council folks actually pursing these ideas (and I believe in some cities they've actually cut police budgets).

Defund police is a complete and total sham. People of color don't want to defund the police. Logically it makes NO sense, and it isn't collectively what the people want. It's primarily an MSM, white liberal, and most likely upper class black narrative. So if it's not what the people want based on polling data, God only knows why they're pushing it. I can't explain it, maybe some of you can.

80% of black folks either want the same amount of police presence in their communities or want more. Percentage is almost the same for Hispanics.

source
                I vote for less time in my neighborhood. When there is no crime to speak of, cops set up speed traps at nearly every intersection.

Comment

They keep talking about hiring social workers to handle non-violent situations, but as any police officer will tell you, a non-violent situation can unexpectedly turn violent in the blink of an eye.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Then the logical solution is police REFORM, which requires MORE funding, not less.
                    Why does reform require more money, not less?

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                      One example. Body and dash cams are not cheap.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Dude, I listed examples of reform in the post you omitted.

Hiring more police so cops aren't stressed and overworked, which requires MORE funding, not less. Special ongoing training sessions and community outreach, which requires MORE funding, not less. Perhaps a more stringent vetting process before cops are hired and closer monitoring during their careers, which requires MORE funding, not less.
                        The heck do you do that for, man?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Which of course totally explains why red states have always been the standard bearers of police reform.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                            I vote for less time in my neighborhood. When there is no crime to speak of, cops set up speed traps at nearly every intersection.
                            Yeah, I hate that. Here in LA, they also hide near intersections on foot, looking for J-walkers. I kid you not, I actually got a ticket for crossing the street on a green while the small walk light was counting down. The guy gave me a ticket for that. No one can convince me they don't have quotas because I've seen it firsthand. The cop that gave me the ticket didn't look enthused about either like he knew it was BS.

Comment

They keep talking about hiring social workers to handle non-violent situations, but as any police officer will tell you, a non-violent situation can unexpectedly turn violent in the blink of an eye.
                              Notoriously, 'domestic' situations. We were NEVER allowed to respond to a 'domestic' without backup.

Comment

Additional training is the rationale.

Comment