Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NY attorney General moves to dissolve the NRA for Fraud.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY attorney General moves to dissolve the NRA for Fraud.

http://www.npr.org/2020/08/06/899712...-investigation

That's interesting. While I'm generally a second amendment supporter, I have no sympathy for a fraudulent organization if the charges are approved. I remember some news from a couple years ago that tells me they may actually be a fire under the smoke. This will drag out for years.

The other interesting thing is this mornings local news mentioned the NY AG was making a big announcement and they speculated it was related to the Trump companies.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

This AG has been a punishment looking for a crime since she got the job. She is rabidly anti-Conservative, and is abusing her position with aplomb.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        This AG has been a punishment looking for a crime since she got the job. She is rabidly anti-Conservative, and is abusing her position with aplomb.
        Which is EGGzackly why the NRA is counter suing.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't know about that. I thought I remembered some discussion from history that indicated problems at the NRA.

Here's an article from the NY POST from August 2019 describing potential misdeeds at the NRA: https://nypost.com/2019/08/09/the-co...ayne-lapierre/.

Another article (warning title has a profanity in it. I didn't see any profanity in the article itself.) from July 2019 in a pro-gun organization mag: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/07/shi...#axzz6UMeMqUnR

Now I think that disbanding the whole organization is too much and certainly the AG is trying to score big political points (she may be trying to run against Governor Saint Cuomo the Great in two years and this is her start to really burnish her progressive credentials.) On the other hand, the NRA certainly looks like they made the effort to paint a target on themselves beyond their second amendment advocacy.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
            I don't know about that. I thought I remembered some discussion from history that indicated problems at the NRA.

Here's an article from the NY POST from August 2019 describing potential misdeeds at the NRA: https://nypost.com/2019/08/09/the-co...ayne-lapierre/.

Another article (warning title has a profanity in it. I didn't see any profanity in the article itself.) from July 2019 in a pro-gun organization mag: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/07/shi...#axzz6UMeMqUnR

Now I think that disbanding the whole organization is too much and certainly the AG is trying to score big political points (she may be trying to run against Governor Saint Cuomo the Great in two years and this is her start to really burnish her progressive credentials.) On the other hand, the NRA certainly looks like they made the effort to paint a target on themselves beyond their second amendment advocacy.
            Regardless, I am right on this. Before she even came into office, she immediately announced she would be investigating Trump and all of his associates.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...-trump-n946706

New York Attorney Gen.-elect Letitia James says she plans to launch sweeping investigations into President Donald Trump, his family and "anyone" in his circle who may have violated the law once she settles into her new job next month.
            "We will use every area of the law to investigate President Trump and his business transactions and that of his family as well," James, a Democrat, told NBC News in her first extensive interview since she was elected last month.

She is a conviction looking for a crime. That is abuse of power.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

This may well work along with the liberals' support for riots, "statue toppling", defunding police...

Gun sales are through the roof AGAIN, breaking sales record after sales record, and now the liberals want to attack the NRA?

Good on them!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                This may well work along with the liberals' support for riots, "statue toppling", defunding police...

Gun sales are through the roof AGAIN, breaking sales record after sales record, and now the liberals want to attack the NRA?

Good on them!
                Regardless of your love for guns, the NRA is being charged with widespread corruption and fraud, of bilking it's members out of $64 million. Is that just a-okay by you, officer?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  Regardless of your love for guns,
                  Another goofus assumption

the NRA is being charged with widespread corruption and fraud, of bilking it's members out of $64 million. Is that just a-okay by you, officer?
                  And, and more goofus nonsense.

Come back when you have something to contribute.

Here, let's pretend you said something intelligent.....

I am in NO WAY defending the NRA when I observe that it might actually backfire against the liberals. It's simply an observation that there may be a case of unintended consequences here.

Comment

New York Attorney Gen.-elect Letitia James says she plans to launch sweeping investigations into President Donald Trump, his family and "anyone" in his circle who may have violated the law once she settles into her new job next month.
                    "We will use every area of the law to investigate President Trump and his business transactions and that of his family as well," James, a Democrat, told NBC News in her first extensive interview since she was elected last month.

She is a conviction looking for a crime.
                    Sounds like you're not all that keen on law and order. An AG has discretion to launch investigations independent of whether you think they're justified or not.

That is abuse of power.
                    That's the Trump presidency. If you don't oppose his abuses of power, you can't oppose this one (with any credibility or moral authority).

Comment

Just another fake political scandal cooked up by liberals. It seems to be the only playbook they have.

Comment

I am not surprised to hear LaPierre is a grifter, as financial improprieties there is not new information, but does that justify outright dismantling the organization?
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          I am not surprised to hear LaPierre is a grifter, as financial improprieties there is not new information, but does that justify outright dismantling the organization?
                          I've read nothing of this story beyond the thread we're posting to - but I had the same question.

If the corruption is widespread, I suppose "dismantling" would be the practical result of all the leadership stepping down or being jailed. If only a few leave - then whether it gets dismantled is probably up to the members more than anything else.

Again on a practical level, I don't really see how an organization of that size gets dismantled unless the people who're paying the dues decide to give it the finger - which I can't see happening in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                            I've read nothing of this story beyond the thread we're posting to - but I had the same question.

If the corruption is widespread, I suppose "dismantling" would be the practical result of all the leadership stepping down or being jailed. If only a few leave - then whether it gets dismantled is probably up to the members more than anything else.

Again on a practical level, I don't really see how an organization of that size gets dismantled unless the people who're paying the dues decide to give it the finger - which I can't see happening in this case.
                            And that is exactly the reason the Atty General is acting to dissolve the organization. The corrution is not just with Lapiere and the other 3 named in the suit, it's widespread, throughout the organization. So removing the 4 corrupt individuals named in the suit doesn't change the corrupt nature of the organization from the ground up and the only way to do that is to dissolve the organization completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Here's an article from one of the local news stations with some local take on the issue: https://www.whec.com/rochester-new-y...19448/?cat=565

Comment