Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Four in Five Black Americans Want Same or More Cop Presence in Neighborhood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Sure, let's go for it. With roughly 80% of blacks opposed to the idea this should be an eye-opener for the radical left. Then of course, they aren't putting these things up for a vote but rather are making the decision for those they think are not smart enough to make the "right" choice.
    That does agree with an article I saw a couple weeks ago in my local newspaper indicating strong support for police presents in the local black neighborhoods. I'm really getting the sense that BLM is an elitist (and I won't surprise me that it's mostly whites) attempting to impose their values on the black community.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      And her name is mossrose.

Comment

Sure, let's go for it. With roughly 80% of blacks opposed to the idea this should be an eye-opener for the radical left. Then of course, they aren't putting these things up for a vote but rather are making the decision for those they think are not smart enough to make the "right" choice.
        Blacks aren't opposed to the idea, you just don't understand what the idea behind the slogan is.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Blacks aren't opposed to the idea, you just don't understand what the idea behind the slogan is.
          When blacks find out what the agenda of the BLM is, they are not supportive. They are supportive of the concept that BLM is falsely claiming to represent.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
            That does agree with an article I saw a couple weeks ago in my local newspaper indicating strong support for police presents in the local black neighborhoods. I'm really getting the sense that BLM is an elitist (and I won't surprise me that it's mostly whites) attempting to impose their values on the black community.
            Perhaps I should have been clearer. I was noting that 80% of blacks are opposed to a police presence being lessened or even removed from their neighborhoods.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Perhaps I should have been clearer. I was noting that 80% of blacks are opposed to a police presence being lessened or even removed from their neighborhoods.
              And I'm agreeing with you.

I'm trying to say it's looking to me like BLM is an elitist attempt to change society as they see fit and not what the people actually affected would want.
              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

And her name is mossrose.
                That's why I get paid the big bucks around here.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                  And I'm agreeing with you.

I'm trying to say it's looking to me like BLM is an elitist attempt to change society as they see fit and not what the people actually affected would want.
                  BLM is simply a Marxist agenda wrapped up in black skin.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    BLM is simply a Marxist agenda wrapped up in black skin.
                    Who they are or what their ideology is, is irrelevant to whether or not they are correct on a particular issue such as police abuse of power. Your attempt to confuse the issue of police abuse, and injustice, with BLM ideology is irrelevant. BLM doesn't represent all the people who agree with them on this issue, that's just how you like think of and present it. Makes you feel better about supporting police abuse, stormtroopers and injustice, I guess.

Comment

Who they are or what their ideology is, is irrelevant to whether or not they are correct on a particular issue such as police abuse of power. Your attempt to confuse the issue of police abuse, and injustice, with BLM ideology is irrelevant. BLM doesn't represent all the people who agree with them on this issue, that's just how you like think of and present it. Makes you feel better about supporting police abuse, stormtroopers and injustice, I guess.
                      The point is that BLM isn't really interested in black lives, they merely seek to exploit the situation for their own purposes. To advance they're radical Marxist agenda and nothing more.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The point is that BLM isn't really interested in black lives, they merely seek to exploit the situation for their own purposes. To advance they're radical Marxist agenda and nothing more.
                        Then don't worry about BLM, it's a free country they can believe whatever they want. This isn't about the BLM organization or Marxism, it's about police abuse, injustice and reform.

Comment

Who they are or what their ideology is, is irrelevant to whether or not they are correct on a particular issue such as police abuse of power.
                          What a profoundly ignorant statement.

Your attempt to confuse the issue of police abuse, and injustice, with BLM ideology is irrelevant. BLM doesn't represent all the people who agree with them on this issue, that's just how you like think of and present it. Makes you feel better about supporting police abuse, stormtroopers and injustice, I guess.
                          Stop Saying Stupid Stuff.gif

Comment

Then don't worry about BLM, it's a free country they can believe whatever they want. This isn't about the BLM organization or Marxism, it's about police abuse, injustice and reform.
                            They are part of this whole riot situation that you support in your little anti-police tirades.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Four in Five Black Americans Want Same or More Cop Presence in Neighborhood

Charles Fain Lehman - August 5, 2020 11:28 AM

Over 80 percent of black Americans want the police to spend as much or more time in their neighborhoods as they currently do, new polling from Gallup conducted last month finds.

Asked if they would prefer police spend more, less, or the same amount of time in their neighborhoods, 61 percent of black respondents told Gallup the same, while a further 20 percent said more. Just 19 percent said less. Black respondents were more likely to want more police presence than white, Asian, and all adults overall.

The overwhelming support for current levels of policing even holds among black respondents who say they see the police often or very often. Two in three of those say they would like to see the police the same amount or more; 84 percent of black respondents who see the police "sometimes" responded that way, along with 92 percent of those who see the police rarely or never.

These findings are just the latest survey evidence to run contrary to the intuitions underlying the progressive push to defund police departments. They also confirm the view that some black communities are likely under-policed, suggesting the need for more, rather than fewer, police.

The poll does find that black Americans are less likely to be confident that they would be treated "with courtesy and respect" by police. Although the plurality of black respondents said they were "somewhat confident," they were more likely than white, Hispanic, and Asian respondents to say they were "not too" or "not at all" confident, and less likely to say they were "very" confident.

Notably, the poll finds that how police officers treat people has a strong effect on their support for the police. While simply having an interaction with the police has no effect on black respondents' preference for level of police presence, 45 percent of those who reported not being treated with respect in those interactions wanted a smaller police presence, compared to just 13 percent who felt respected.

The widespread support for larger police presence overall follows more general polling trends apparent since the start of protests surrounding the death of Minneapolis resident George Floyd. Large majorities of Americans report trusting their local police departments.

Almost as many consistently oppose the move to "defund" the police, perhaps explaining why many national Democrats, including presidential nominee Joe Biden, have been loath to publicly support the movement. Even in Minneapolis, many black residents oppose efforts to defund—a stark departure from the views of the majority-white city council.
                              A separate poll from last year confirms this one. Vox and Civis Analytics conducted a poll that found, by a more than two to one margin, black Americans support the police and 60% of them want more police hired.

It should also be noted that a Gallup poll from a few years ago actually found that black adults who felt that the police treated black people unfairly were more likely to want an increased police presence than those who said they felt they were treated fairly

Comment

A separate poll from last year confirms this one. Vox and Civis Analytics conducted a poll that found, by a more than two to one margin, black Americans support the police and 60% of them want more police hired.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47535[/ATTACH]

It should also be noted that a Gallup poll from a few years ago actually found that black adults who felt that the police treated black people unfairly were more likely to want an increased police presence than those who said they felt they were treated fairly
                                I don't question this poll. It makes sense to me that blacks overall value the enforcement of the law.

It's important to consider the entire picture rather than selectively tout that which only accords with your views while dismissing similarly revealing polls that confirm a deep-seated problem that you and your ideological peers adamantly deny, like this pre-George Floyd poll from the Pew Research center:

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2019...tm_medium=copy

Some key uncomfortable takeaways:

Opinions about the current state of race relations – and President Donald Trump’s handling of the issue – are also negative. About six-in-ten Americans (58%) say race relations in the U.S. are bad, and of those, few see them improving. Some 56% think the president has made race relations worse; just 15% say he has improved race relations and another 13% say he has tried but failed to make progress on this issue. In addition, roughly two-thirds say it’s become more common for people to express racist views since Trump became president.
                                Blacks are particularly gloomy about the country’s racial progress. More than eight-in-ten black adults say the legacy of slavery affects the position of black people in America today, including 59% who say it affects it a great deal. About eight-in-ten blacks (78%) say the country hasn’t gone far enough when it comes to giving black people equal rights with whites, and fully half say it’s unlikely that the country will eventually achieve racial equality.
                                Americans see disadvantages for blacks and Hispanics in the U.S. A majority of all adults (56%) say being black hurts people’s ability to get ahead at least a little, and 51% say the same about being Hispanic. In contrast, 59% say being white helps people’s ability to get ahead. Views about the impact of being Asian or Native American are more mixed.
                                This quote in particular says much about the creepy things members like seer here have no compunction about saying since Trump took office:

Most Americans (65%) – including majorities across racial and ethnic groups – say it has become more common for people to express racist or racially insensitive views since Trump was elected president. A smaller but substantial share (45%) say this has become more acceptable.
                                So I guess one poll is legit and the other is a commie plot to put Trump-supporting Christians in concentration camps.
                                Last edited by whag; 08-08-2020, 11:02 AM.

Comment