Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Riot declared, 8 arrested, tear gas used outside Portland police's East Precinct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riot declared, 8 arrested, tear gas used outside Portland police's East Precinct

Riot declared, 8 arrested, tear gas used outside Portland police's East Precinct

For those Twebbers who were duped into believing that the federal officers were the reason for the violence in Portland, try again.

Police said a group of a couple hundred tried to smash the glass doors of the East Precinct and threw objects at officers, including "rocks the size of shot puts."

PORTLAND, Ore — Portland police declared a riot and used tear gas Wednesday night outside the East Precinct after a crowd of people tried to smash the glass doors of the precinct building and threw objects at officers.

Police also arrested eight people. Arrest information can be found at the end of the article.

Demonstrators again gathered Wednesday night to protest police brutality and systemic racism. This is the 10th straight week protests have gone on in Portland following the killing of George Floyd.

Protesters were out in two groups Wednesday night. One gathered in downtown Portland outside the Justice Center and the other in Southeast Portland at Floyd Light City Park at Southeast 111th Avenue and Alder Street.

The group in Southeast Portland, which police said grew to a couple hundred people, marched to Portland police's East Precinct. Around 9:30 p.m., police tweeted that "criminal activity" was occurring at the Precinct but did not specify. They asked that peaceful protesters leave.

In a press release sent out early Thursday morning, police said people in the crowd were shining green lasers and other lights at officers. Another person tried to remove the surveillance camera from the front doors of the East Precinct, police said, while others spray painted the camera and the doors of the precinct.

Journalist Garrison Davis reported that some plywood that was covering the front doors had been removed and that a board was being used as a battering ram. Police said others slammed heavy large objects, including large rocks into the glass doors of the East Precinct.

Things seemed to escalate quickly. Police declared an unlawful assembly at 9:45 p.m. At 9:50 p.m., police say people attacking the glass doors of the East Precinct cracked the doors. At 10 p.m. Portland police declared a riot. Protesters were told that they would be subject to crowd control agents if they did not leave.

Even as warnings were announced to protesters, some tried to break through a glass door at the building, Sergio Olmos reported. Police said other people in the crowd threw fireworks and other items at officers.

As police worked to disperse the crowd, around 10:10 p.m. tear gas was used. In the press release sent out by police early Thursday, police said they used tear gas and other crowd control munitions "because of life safety issues created by members in the group."

So, the riots continue, and even the local police "gassed people" (to use an ignorant term used to disparage the federal officers)....

It's still going on, and you can't blame the feds.

WHEN will the libs wake up and realize this is a bunch of anarchists rioting because that's who they are?

Even the black police say this does NOTHING for Black Lives Matter --- and note, the Police cited "life safety issues" created by "the group".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

You'd thought that how the mayor was received by the peaceful protesters would have clued them into what to expect.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      You'd thought that how the mayor was received by the peaceful protesters would have clued them into what to expect.
      The police are feeling increasingly betrayed, and some of them are calling for a community revolt.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Portland Police Chief: Ongoing riots straining dept. resources

After 70 nights of protests in Portland, the city’s police chief has admitted his department’s resources are strained from attempting to quell excessive violence. On Wednesday, Police Chief Chuck Lowell confirmed the violent activity has turned into a problem for the police department.

Despite the risk and resistance law enforcement is facing during this time, Lowell reaffirmed the police continue to come back every night because they love the city.
        “They still come back every day to give service to the community under what are really tough circumstances. It really affects their wellness and their families. They love this city so much that they keep coming back and they keep serving. I’m very proud of them. I can’t say enough how proud I am of their resilience and their dedication to Portland.” – Chief Chuck Lowell, Portland Police Bureau

Comment

For context, here are some articles on the history of Portland police corruption:

https://www.wweek.com/news/courts/20...t-doesnt-work/

During my two years, I probably investigated dozens of allegations of police misconduct, and I saw things that horrified me. But as an IPR investigator, my task was to determine whether a cop, accused of a charge like racial bias or improper arrest, did anything to violate police policy in a way that could lead to discipline.

Investigators, if we want our cases to hold up in court or arbitration, have to show we're using the standard of rule or law. In the case of PPB, the standard is the bureau's "directives."

"Directives provide members with information to act decisively, consistently, and legally," PPB's rulebook says. "When unusual circumstances are encountered, directives help members identify the best course of action to follow."

But how these directives function often leaves wide latitude for officer behavior. For example, the bureau's use-of-force directive says an officer can't strike someone known to be medically fragile with a baton, but if the officer claims not to have seen the cane a man was holding before he pushed him down, he's going to be let off. Or take the bureau's truthfulness policy: It requires officers to have "knowingly or willfully" lied to be in violation of bureau directives—but let me say, it's tough to prove what exactly was going through a cop's mind if they won't tell you.
          https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...story-1027677/

Oregon’s history shares more in common with the Deep South than is commonly understood. The state was admitted to the union on the eve of the Civil War as a white-separatist state. Its constitution banned slavery — and black people, declaring that “No free Negro, or Mulatto … shall come, reside, or be within this state,” and ordering their “removal, by public officers.” Made moot by the equal-protection clause of the 14th Amendment, this racist language was not amended until 1926. And by then Oregon had emerged as a hotbed of Klan activity, using racial terror to keep all but a few thousand blacks out of the state.

Only during World War II, when black laborers arrived by the thousands to work in Portland’s shipyards, did Oregon’s color barrier begin to break down. Even today, however, Portland is known as the whitest big city in America. Three-quarters of the population is white; only six percent of residents are black. The black community — historically redlined into a single neighborhood near downtown — is now buffeted by gentrification and displacement, as white millennials seeking the “dream of the Nineties” have transformed Mississippi Avenue into a stretch of boutiques, brewpubs, and farm-to-table restaurants.
          The Feds discussion is a red herring when the matter here as in other regions of social unrest is rooted in systemic racism and general police abuses:

In recent years, the police here have also shot and killed many unarmed black people. In 2003, 21-year-old Kendra James was gunned down during a traffic stop; in 2010, 25-year-old Aaron Campbell was killed by a sharpshooter during a welfare check; in 2017, police shot 17-year-old Quanice Hayes with an AR-15 while he was on his knees during an arrest. None of these cases were prosecuted. “There’s no appearance of justice when it comes to the death of a black person at the hands of the police,” says City Council member Jo Ann Hardesty, who formerly served as a president of the local NAACP.

The Portland Police Bureau has been under supervision by the U.S. Department of Justice for much of the past decade for “a pattern or practice of excessive force, in violation of the Fourth Amendment,” against people with mental illness, many of them black. Andre Gladen, a legally blind 36-year-old with schizophrenia, prompted a 911 call by lying on a stranger’s porch last year. Cops who were called to remove him instead killed him after, they say, he grabbed an officer’s knife. The PPB has achieved “substantial compliance” with the DOJ agreement, but Hardesty notes bitterly: “We’re killing more people today with mental-health issues by the Portland Police than we did before the DOJ came to town.”

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
            For context, here are some articles on the history of Portland police corruption:
            Cool, you think that justifies 70 nights of protests, riots, attempts to burn down the federal building, the police association building, police precincts....?

The other defenders of this anarchy seemed to blame it on the "stormtroopers" (the federal officers).

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              The police are feeling increasingly betrayed, and some of them are calling for a community revolt.
              Meanwhile, FWIU, the Minneapolis City Council voted 10-to-5 in favor of delaying defunding of the police for 90 days as they try to amend the city charter to allow defunding since the charter requires them to fund the police.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Meanwhile, FWIU, the Minneapolis City Council voted 10-to-5 in favor of delaying defunding of the police for 90 days as they try to amend the city charter to allow defunding since the charter requires them to fund the police.
                You mean, so they can try to squeak by this election cycle?

Comment

Cool, you think that justifies 70 nights of protests, riots, attempts to burn down the federal building, the police association building, police precincts....?
                  No, but correct me if I'm wrong, I think that your ideology specifically says that sins reap consequences--whether the sin is individual or cultural/generational. The OT speaks about it a lot. For some reason, you refuse to believe that natural law applies here simply because riots in your country have you spooked. I'm spooked, too.

The other defenders of this anarchy seemed to blame it on the "stormtroopers" (the federal officers).
                  And they'd be wrong. It's clearly traceable to a historically nasty police department.

Comment

No, but correct me if I'm wrong, I think that your ideology specifically says that sins reap consequences--whether the sin is individual or cultural/generational.
                    OK so far....

The OT speaks about it a lot. For some reason, you refuse to believe that natural law applies here simply because riots in your country have you spooked. I'm spooked, too.
                    Didn't take you long to derail that train of thought!

A) I'm not 'spooked' by the riots - they are nowhere near me.
                    2) They simply display the wicked heart of man
                    C) It blows the "peaceful protester" narrative out of the water.

And they'd be wrong. It's clearly traceable to a historically nasty police department.
                    Still sounds like your justifying the anarcy, Whag. Why is it so nearly impossible to get a liberal to declare that burning down buildings, throwing rocks at police, looting and rioting --- BAD.

Why is that so hard?

Comment

....The OT speaks about it a lot. For some reason, you refuse to believe that natural law applies here simply because riots in your country have you spooked. I'm spooked, too.
                      I think this deserves a little more attention.

A) You'd be wrong to assume that I "refuse to believe" that the natural law applies...
                      2) The REASON we are taught about that is so that confession and repentance can occur...
                      C) It is NEVER used to justify ongoing rebellion, sin, chaos, mayhem...

And, remember - Jesus kinda took that "eye for an eye" thing in one of his numerous "you have heard it said" statements, and changed it to "but I say".... love your enemy as yourself, do not return evil for evil, etc.

Comment

For those Twebbers who were duped into believing that the federal officers were the reason for the violence in Portland, try again.
                        No kidding....
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

OK so far....

Didn't take you long to derail that train of thought!

A) I'm not 'spooked' by the riots - they are nowhere near me.
                          2) They simply display the wicked heart of man
                          C) It blows the "peaceful protester" narrative out of the water.

Still sounds like your justifying the anarcy, Whag. Why is it so nearly impossible to get a liberal to declare that burning down buildings, throwing rocks at police, looting and rioting --- BAD.

Why is that so hard?
                          It's bad! It's bad it's bad it's bad it's BAD. Sincerely. But I understand the effect of hopelessness. Like I said before, this is more about the cumulative effect of national and international sins. I figured we agreed on that.

Is it bad to wipe out Midianite and Amalekite women and children or is it justified?

Comment

It's bad! It's bad it's bad it's bad it's BAD. Sincerely.
                            But you're about to justify it, no?

But I understand the effect of hopelessness. Like I said before, this is more about the cumulative effect of national and international sins. I figured we agreed on that.
                            So, why not demand better? PEACEFUL protests, legal action, demands for change in the departments. What good does violence accomplish where it requires more of the police action you're supposedly against?

Is it bad to wipe out Midianite and Amalekite women and children or is it justified?
                            Unless you're claiming that God has ordered the rioting, that's a whole different discussion. Feel free to start a thread.

Comment

Wait so they just NOW declared a riot? What the heck do they call the 70 other days of mayhem and destruction? Oh yeah, "peaceful demonstrations" right.

Comment