Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Imitating biology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Evolution is a hill-climbing algorithm, so it will tend to stop at the top of the nearest hill.
    Evolution is not a single algorithm. It is a massively parallel series of near-copies of the same algorithm with some random input. The human evolutionary algorithm has 7 billion parallel copies running. Bacterial algorithms have trillions of parallel copies. With all those parallel algorithms and some random input, more than one hill will be climbed.

The landscape is changing as well; what was once a hilltop may now be a valley and vice versa. Passenger pigeons had parasites: fleas, tapeworms and the like. That was once a nice large hilltop when there were immense population of the pigeons. That hilltop disappeared.

Evolution works in populations, so it has multiple starting points. Hence it can climb multiple hilltops. Some humans have climbed the "digest milk as an adult" hill while others have not, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by rossum View Post
      Evolution is not a single algorithm. It is a massively parallel series of near-copies of the same algorithm with some random input. The human evolutionary algorithm has 7 billion parallel copies running. Bacterial algorithms have trillions of parallel copies. With all those parallel algorithms and some random input, more than one hill will be climbed.
      I think that's the fundamental gap here. Lee views evolution as random stumbling in the dark. People who actually understand evolution realize it's a massively parallel problem solving approach that, thanks to the randomness, explores solutions that designers would never consider.

It's not clear how to bridge that gap when Lee's worldview clearly demands he not appreciate the power of evolution.
      "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
        I think that's the fundamental gap here. Lee views evolution as random stumbling in the dark. People who actually understand evolution realize it's a massively parallel problem solving approach that, thanks to the randomness, explores solutions that designers would never consider.

It's not clear how to bridge that gap when Lee's worldview clearly demands he not appreciate the power of evolution.
        Like so many who reject the evidence for evolution Lee is among those who focuses on the randomness aspect while determinedly ignoring the selection part.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Common design patterns, would be the reasoning here.
          That only explains commonality, it does not explain why those patterns show ancestry the way you'd expect if evolution is true. So this explanation is weaker than the one from the Theory of Evolution, only the latter can explain the bio-geographical distribution of features without begging the question.

Comment

Evolution is a hill-climbing algorithm, so it will tend to stop at the top of the nearest hill.

Source: Towards Data Science

One of the main problems faced by evolutionary algorithms is the presence of local optima in the fitness landscape. Local optima, can, in fact, mislead our algorithm to not reach our desired global maxima in favour of a less optimal solution.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Now he goes on to describe ways to alleviate this problem, but it's still a problem.

And I don't claim that we seek only to imitate global optimums, I only claim that biological designs are remarkably good, better even than humans have been able to do, in various cases.
            One of the simplest explanations is that the "fitness landscape" continually changes, which follows the evidence we see that most evolution occurs during climate changes.

Blessings,
            Lee
            You do realize that your post already has a signature line, your username and an avatar attached right? Why do you insist on writing these posts as if they're letters? It's silly.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
              That's an evolutionary algorithm. it's not evolution. Try again.
              That's evolutionary algorithms in general, which would include evolution itself. But for a quote about evolution per se, how about this:

Source: Wikipedia

An evolving population typically climbs uphill in the fitness landscape, by a series of small genetic changes, until -- in the infinite time limit -- a local optimum is reached.

Source

Originally posted by shunyadragon
              Hill? Are you referring to an energy hill.
              No, a fitness peak, a hill in the fitness landscape.

Originally posted by rossum
              The human evolutionary algorithm has 7 billion parallel copies running. Bacterial algorithms have trillions of parallel copies. With all those parallel algorithms and some random input, more than one hill will be climbed.

The landscape is changing as well; what was once a hilltop may now be a valley and vice versa. Passenger pigeons had parasites: fleas, tapeworms and the like. That was once a nice large hilltop when there were immense population of the pigeons. That hilltop disappeared.

Evolution works in populations, so it has multiple starting points. Hence it can climb multiple hilltops. Some humans have climbed the "digest milk as an adult" hill while others have not, for example.
              All this, however, does not change the fact that evolution tends to find local optimums. Massively parallel, yes, and multiple hilltops, but still evolution will climb to a local optimum as a rule.

Originally posted by Leonhard
              One of the simplest explanations is that the "fitness landscape" continually changes, which follows the evidence we see that most evolution occurs during climate changes.
              Well, if the fitness landscape continually changes, that shortens the time available for searching considerably.

Blessings,
              Lee

P.S. I realize I have a signature too, I just keep signing my posts partly to remind myself of why I am here, to try and do some good.
              "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Like so many who reject the evidence for evolution Lee is among those who focuses on the randomness aspect while determinedly ignoring the selection part.
                Well, no, evolution couldn't find an optimum without selection.

Blessings,
                Lee
                "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

[QUOTE=lee_merrill;772479]That's evolutionary algorithms in general, which would include evolution itself. But for a quote about evolution per se, how about this:

An evolving population typically climbs uphill in the fitness landscape, by a series of small genetic changes, until -- in the infinite time limit -- a local optimum is reached.

Source

In the history of life there are millions fitness hills local, regional and continental in history with differnt species, subspecies, varieties and related species..

No, a fitness peak, a hill in the fitness landscape.
                  As objectively demonstrated there are millions of interrelated fitness hills.

All this, however, does not change the fact that evolution tends to find local optimums. Massively parallel, yes, and multiple hilltops, but still evolution will climb to a local optimum as a rule.
                  There are millions of opitimums, as the history of life on earth they are not isolated, but involved in a world in interelated regional and continental multiple related hill tops as we see today, and not iaolated local optimums, which are not the what is opjectively observed as regionally interreated regional and continental evolution, especially with migrating populations. Evolution as objectively observed is regional and continental relationships of variations in populations sub-species, related species and their varieties. In fact human evolution has been demonstrated as regional and continental genetic relationships between populations accross Africa and Asia with interbreding between different variations of varieties and sub-species at least several times with regional and continental migrations.

The driving force in evolution is regional, continental and eorld changing and cyclic climate. Nothing to do with local hilltops.

Well, if the fitness landscape continually changes, that shortens the time available for searching considerably.
                  Simply by the known fossil and genetic evidence this is false the answer is no. As is the witness today the continually changing environment encourages the best populations to adapt to change. Those that do not adapt through evolution go extinct.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-11-2020, 10:05 PM.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    There are millions of opitimums, as the history of life on earth they are not isolated...
                    Well, how do you know this? as I have seen, for example, protein space is sparse.

Most sequences in sequence space have no function, leaving relatively small regions that are populated by naturally occurring genes.

Source

Blessings,
                    Lee

Comment

Well, how do you know this? as I have seen, for example, protein space is sparse.

Most sequences in sequence space have no function, leaving relatively small regions that are populated by naturally occurring genes.

Source

Blessings,
                      Lee
                      So what? This does not remotely address the issues. There remain trillions if not quadrillions of optimums over the billions of years of life.
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

You are confusing two different things. The fitness landscape is a part of the environment. Protein space is the set of potentially effective proteins. You are comparing apples and oranges so your point is irrelevant.

Comment

So what? This does not remotely address the issues. There remain trillions if not quadrillions of optimums over the billions of years of life.
                          That may be, but is the fitness landscape sparse?

Originally posted by rossum
                          You are confusing two different things. The fitness landscape is a part of the environment. Protein space is the set of potentially effective proteins. You are comparing apples and oranges so your point is irrelevant.
                          I was using protein space as an example of the sparseness of what evolution has to examine. A fitness space could be put on top of protein space, such that all proteins have a fitness value for a particular purpose.

Blessings,
                          Lee

Comment

That may be, but is the fitness landscape sparse?
                            No, and it has been made clear by [quote=rossom=You are confusing two different things. The fitness landscape is a part of the environment. Protein space is the set of potentially effective proteins. You are comparing apples and oranges so your point is irrelevant. [/quote]

I was using protein space as an example of the sparseness of what evolution has to examine. A fitness space could be put on top of protein space, such that all proteins have a fitness value for a particular purpose.
                            The genetic diversity developes many large populations over a long period of time. There is no sparseness involved. In fact if sparseness was an issue than the population would likely go extinct.

Frank

Comment

The genetic diversity developes many large populations over a long period of time. There is no sparseness involved. In fact if sparseness was an issue than the population would likely go extinct.
                              I need a reference for this claim! A sparse fitness landscape does not mean the population will be unfit, it only means the population will tend to stay on a local optimum. Thus the surprising discovery of exquisite designs in nature.

Blessings,
                              Lee

Comment

A sparse fitness landscape does not mean the population will be unfit, it only means the population will tend to stay on a local optimum. Thus the surprising discovery of exquisite designs in nature.
                                That is what evolution predicts. If there only a few local optima then populations will tend stay on those local optima -- the distance to the next optimum will be too large. You need to find a design prediction that is different from the standard theory's predictions.

The number of optima has little to do with evolution; different optima are part of the environment.

Comment