Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

No Knock Warrent vs Castle Doctrine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Knock Warrent vs Castle Doctrine

So if I understand Castle Doctrine, if there is an intrusion into your house, then you have the right to self-defense and even to act on split second decisions (like police officers) in making the choice to use potentially lethal action. The No-Knock warrant allows the police to enter an apartment without prior warning, no knock on the door, no ringing of the bell and in the case of Bryonna Taylor apparently even without saying they're police.

There seems to be a significant tension between these two laws.

It seems the police have to enter an area where the occupant has the legal right to shoot them.

I've seen discussions about this coming up after the tragic death of Bryonna Taylor who was shot when the police barged in on a no-knock warrant to arrest her boyfriend.
    Last edited by Leonhard; 08-10-2020, 04:00 AM.

I don't know when these no knock warrants got the green light, I am not a fan. The Bryonna Taylor shooting was a foreseeable result of such warrants.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I really cannot imagine any justification for no-knock warrants in a country that even pretends to have a regard for civil liberties.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
        I really cannot imagine any justification for no-knock warrants in a country that even pretends to have a regard for civil liberties.
        When did all this become legal? I missed that court case.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Most of it seems to be based on a fear that drug dealers will get rid of the evidence before opening the door to face the police.

Comment

No court case is needed. Some legislative action, maybe.

Comment

I am not a fan of no knock warrants at all.

The ONLY time I could see the need is in the case of the apprehension of a known armed felon, but even those often don't turn out well.
              A friend of mine (police officer) was killed in such a raid, and his killer (a known drug/gang member) was no billed in a grand jury because he testified that he thought it was a rival gang attacking the house they were in.

Sadly, there are way too many cases where small children are present in these drug labs and crack houses.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                A friend of mine (police officer) was killed in such a raid, and his killer (a known drug/gang member) was no billed in a grand jury because he testified that he thought it was a rival gang attacking the house they were in.
                Some would say he was right.
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  Some would say he was right.
                  Well, yeah, which is why I said "I am not a fan of no knock warrants at all'".
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I thought they had to announce "police" upon entering?

But then anyone can break into your house and yell, "police" so you won't shoot first and then shoot you instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      I thought they had to announce "police" upon entering?
                      [ETA: The following is in reference to the situation where my friend was killed in a no knock raid]

And all the bad guys, in unison, claimed, at the time, nobody yelled "police".
                      Later, the story changed to "well, yeah, but we had no way of knowing it really WAS the police".

But then anyone can break into your house and yell, "police" so you won't shoot first and then shoot you instead.
                      And the case in which my friend was killed - that was part of the argument --- "ANYBODY can yell POLICE".

This has the makings of "he clearly identified himself as a police officer" being disallowed as a defense for police action.

Comment

Wilson v. Arkansas

For now, we leave to the lower courts the task of determining the circumstances under which an unannounced entry is reasonable under the Fourth Amendment. We simply hold that although a search or seizure of a dwelling might be constitutionally defective if police officers enter without prior announcement, law enforcement interests may also establish the reasonableness of an unannounced entry.

The two law enforcement interests given that they left for lower courts to rule on were the safety of the police, and the possibility that evidence would be destroyed.
                        Last edited by Stoic; 08-10-2020, 03:40 PM.

Comment

I've heard many tragic stories about no knock warrants resulting in innocents getting hurt or killed. And police going to the wrong place and traumatizing the innocent people living there!
                          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                            Wilson v. Arkansas

For now, we leave to the lower courts the task of determining the circumstances under which an unannounced entry is reasonable under the Fourth Amendment. We simply hold that although a search or seizure of a dwelling might be constitutionally defective if police officers enter without prior announcement, law enforcement interests may also establish the reasonableness of an unannounced entry.

The two law enforcement interests given that they left for lower courts to rule on were the safety of the police, and the possibility that evidence would be destroyed.
                            Wow, kudos. I didn't know there was a relevant court case on this...

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              [ETA: The following is in reference to the situation where my friend was killed in a no knock raid]

And all the bad guys, in unison, claimed, at the time, nobody yelled "police".
                              Later, the story changed to "well, yeah, but we had no way of knowing it really WAS the police".

And the case in which my friend was killed - that was part of the argument --- "ANYBODY can yell POLICE".

This has the makings of "he clearly identified himself as a police officer" being disallowed as a defense for police action.
                              Generally, if someone breaks into my house I would need to wait to actually SEE who it is before I could shoot them. So if someone came in yelling "Police" and I saw they were wearing a uniform, I would assume they were police and not shoot them. Hopefully they wouldn't just shoot me first and give me a chance to lay down my gun. That's the real scary part for me.

Comment