Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Phoenix Police Shoots Man In His Own Apartment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix Police Shoots Man In His Own Apartment

This is beyond horrific.

Source: Pinac News

Ryan Whitaker was sitting at home with his girlfriend playing video games when he was killed by police.

A noise complaint from an annoyed neighbor resulted in cops shooting and killing a man within five seconds of him opening his front door.

Ryan Whitaker opened the door holding a gun in his right hand which is legal in Arizona but it made the cops fear for their lives.

However, the cops never gave him a chance to put the gun down which he appeared to be trying to do when one cop shot him in the back three times.

"Why did you guys shoot him?" Whitaker's girlfriend, Brandee Nees, yelled as she stepped into the doorway.

"He just pulled a gun on us, ma'am," Phoenix police officer Jeff Cooke said.

"Because it's dark and someone just knocked on the door," Nees responded.

When Phoenix police officer John Ferragamo asked Nees if she and Whitaker had been fighting, she told him they were only playing video games.

"Literally we were making salsa and playing Crash Bandicoot so there may have been some screaming from PlayStation but it wasn’t domestic violence or anything," she said.

The cops arrived eight minutes later and knocked on the door with one of them yelling "Phoenix police" before both of them stepped off to the side, making it impossible for anybody to see them through the peephole. When Whitaker opened the door with the gun to his side, the cops shined their flashlights in his face, blinding him before noticing the gun.

"Whoa! Hands! Hands! Hands!" Ferragamo yelled as Whitaker lowered his body with his left hand in the air and his right hand appearing to be putting the gun down.

Cooke then fired three times, shooting him in the back.

Earlier that day, Whitaker had attended his daughter's high school graduation.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by Leonhard; 08-10-2020, 08:33 AM.

I'm glad that the police are displaying transparency and didn't hesitate to release the body cams recordings.

Comment

It always helps to include a linky.

I found what I think is this incident, and while I don't condone what happened, the text in the OP has a WHOLE LOT of speculation and.. um... creative reporting.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Was the guy black or Hispanic or some other minority?

Because if not, who cares?

I say that sarcastically, because the news report is almost a month old. Where is the outrage from the same people who support BLM? For a whole month nobody here has mentioned this.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I think it's because the body cam footage was released, so it's "ok, let's look at this again".

But, no, I don't think this was a "racial" killing, so it's not as important to the media.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I think it's because the body cam footage was released, so it's "ok, let's look at this again".

But, no, I don't think this was a "racial" killing, so it's not as important to the media.
            Exactly my point, nor, obviously, to the rabid crowd here who like to paint every police officer with the same racist brush.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              Exactly my point, nor, obviously, to the rabid crowd here who like to paint every police officer with the same racist brush.
              With all due respect, nobody mentioned race until you brought it up...
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                I haven't really studied this yet, but it appears that the one officer was not experienced, or maybe not well trained, (or both) and did, indeed, shoot prematurely.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  But it's in light of this big focus on systemic racism in police departments being the reason for such shootings.

Comment

But it's in light of this big focus on systemic racism in police departments being the reason for such shootings.
                    I think too much focus is placed on race. There have been other controversial shootings of white people (there was a big debate thread on the shooting of Daniel Shaver a few years ago, and the shooting of Duncan Lemp has been discussed in the news as well). The idea that something is not worth discussing just because race isn't involved is something I won't accept from either side. My main point is: there's a certain irony in bringing race into an unrelated thread to complain that people talk too much about race.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I think too much focus is placed on race.
                      I totally agree with that across the board, but just trying saying "All lives matter" and see what happens.

There have been other controversial shootings of white people (there was a big debate thread on the shooting of Daniel Shaver a few years ago, and the shooting of Duncan Lemp has been discussed in the news as well).
                      And I think that's the point -- blacks and Hispanics are NOT being systematically killed by police in numbers proportionally greater - there's a problem, but it's not race.

The idea that something is not worth discussing just because race isn't involved is something I won't accept from either side. My main point is: there's a certain irony in bringing race into an unrelated thread to complain that people talk too much about race.
                      I think it's just that we have been SO inundated with this "systematic racism" thing which, quite honestly, takes the focus off of the real problem.

Comment

It always helps to include a linky.

I found what I think is this incident, and while I don't condone what happened, the text in the OP has a WHOLE LOT of speculation and.. um... creative reporting.
                        I forgot the link. I am sorry for that. Posted this in my lunch break.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                          I forgot the link. I am sorry for that. Posted this in my lunch break.
                          No prob - I think I found the story. And it's "back in the news" because the body cam footage was released, yes?

Comment

No prob - I think I found the story. And it's "back in the news" because the body cam footage was released, yes?
                            I wasn't aware of it until then, I didn't know it was an old story. I thought it was recent. I do see that he stepped out of his apartment, gun at his back, and fell back into it. The exchange was over in around 5 seconds.

Comment

And that's the problem, isn't it? Nobody mentioned race because the poor man who was shot was white.
                              If he had been some other ethnicity, it would habpve been all over the place, adding fuel to the fire the media and BLM has made.

Comment