Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Chicago police return fire as looters hit Mag Mile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago police return fire as looters hit Mag Mile

Chicago police return fire as looters hit Mag Mile, smashing windows and confronting officers

More chaos and mayhem....

Hundreds of people swept through the Magnificent Mile and other parts of downtown Chicago early Monday, smashing windows, looting stores, confronting police and at one point exchanging gunfire with officers, authorities said.

The officers had stopped several people on Lake Street near Michigan Avenue when shots were fired from a passing car around 4:30 a.m., nearly five hours into the widespread vandalism, according to police spokesman Tom Ahern. No officers were shot but a squad car was hit, he said. It was not known if anyone in the gunman’s car was shot.

Ahern said other officers were injured through the night. Earlier, an officer was seen slumped against a building by Grand and Wabash avenues as other other cops tended to him. It was unclear what had happened to him. Ahern had no details on the injuries.

The looting began shortly after midnight as people darted through broken store windows and doors along Michigan Avenue carrying shopping bags full of merchandise. Cars dropped off more people as the crowd grew. At least one U-Haul van was seen pulling up.

Police made “a lot of arrests” and recovered at least one gun, officials said. One woman with shopping bags in her hands fell on the sidewalk as an officer was chasing her. Another woman appeared to have been pepper-sprayed. A rock was thrown at a squad car.

The looting seemed to be centered in Streeterville and North Michigan Avenue, but some looting was reported on State Street in the Loop and on the Near North Side. By 4 a.m. police appeared to be getting things under control.

But some vandalism continued into the daylight hours, and the CTA suspended train and bus service into downtown during the morning rush, while the Illinois state police blocked off ramps from expressways. Bridges across the Chicago River were raised, except for the one on LaSalle Street for emergency vehicles.

People were seen running out of a PNC Bank, its windows smashed, at Huron and State streets. Down the block, other stores, including a Sally Beauty Supply, had been cleaned out by vandals. Other parts of downtown, including around Grand and Wabash avenues, were littered with trash.

Crowds repeatedly tried to bash in the windows of the Omega watch store at Delaware Place and Michigan Avenue.

“The watch store,” one officer said. “They’re gonna get it eventually.”

A group of people went in and out through a broken window of the Louis Vuitton store along Walton Place across the street from the Drake Hotel. A squad car drove by and the group ran away.

But as the car rode off, at least one person tried to go into the shop. The police returned.

“Go home!” One cop shouted.

“You go home!” Someone shouted, apparently back at the officer.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Is this going to happen every time a possible bad guy is shot? If so, we are in real trouble as a society...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Is this going to happen every time a possible bad guy is shot? If so, we are in real trouble as a society...
      No need to "defund the police" - simply overwhelm them with flash mobs.

Reportedly, there were caravans of cars bringing in looters to the various store locations. Then Chicago's Mayor appeared on TV begging for citizens to rat each other out.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Then Chicago's Mayor appeared on TV begging for citizens to rat each other out.
        You mean Beetle Juice

98344876_10215965834166947_5186593242405142528_o.jpg
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The police are damned if they do and damned if they don't. If they don't do anything then they are "allowing rioting" and if they do fight back or even shoot, then they are being "fascists" and "brown shirts"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            The police are damned if they do and damned if they don't. If they don't do anything then they are "allowing rioting" and if they do fight back or even shoot, then they are being "fascists" and "brown shirts"
            And it's all in the name of 'protecting the peaceful protesters' --- many cannot see there is nothing peaceful about many of the protests they are defending.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              For decades you'd have various self-appointed community activists complain about police harassment resulting in the police pulling back on enforcement. This would inevitably lead to the exact same bunch complaining that the police don't care about black neighborhood because they aren't enforcing the laws. So the police start enforcing the laws again which inevitably leads to them complaining about harassment.

Over and over the cycle is repeated.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And it's all in the name of 'protecting the peaceful protesters' --- many cannot see there is nothing peaceful about many of the protests they are defending.
                I've not seen anyone calling what was happening in Chicago this morning 'a peaceful protest'. Have you? I've seen every source I've looked at so far call it rioting or vandalism. I've seen the perpetrators called vandals and looters.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  For decades you'd have various self-appointed community activists complain about police harassment resulting in the police pulling back on enforcement. This would inevitably lead to the exact same bunch complaining that the police don't care about black neighborhood because they aren't enforcing the laws. So the police start enforcing the laws again which inevitably leads to them complaining about harassment.

Over and over the cycle is repeated.
                  There are very real misleading statements and perceptions coming from both sides. There are actions that are illegal that are being treated as 'misunderstood', criminals being hurt by legitimate law enforcement actions that are labeled as 'abuse', AND there is legitimate abuse being dismissed, real oppression being ignored or whitewashed over. And as long one or both sides refuse to be honest about what is real, the insanity will continue.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    I've not seen anyone calling what was happening in Chicago this morning 'a peaceful protest'. Have you?
                    That's the point - there's nothing peaceful about this, or what's been happening elsewhere in the country.

I've seen every source I've looked at so far call it rioting or vandalism. I've seen the perpetrators called vandals and looters.
                    Finally.

Comment

That's the point - there's nothing peaceful about this, or what's been happening elsewhere in the country.
                      So you deny that there have been several peaceful protests? Including the ones my friends attended?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                        So you deny that there have been several peaceful protests? Including the ones my friends attended?
                        Of course not, Leon --- we've been through this. The peaceful protests are clearly differentiated from the non-peaceful ones by the actual presence of peace, and non-proximity to riots.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                          Of course not, Leon --- we've been through this. The peaceful protests are clearly differentiated from the non-peaceful ones by the actual presence of peace, and non-proximity to riots.
                          I'll bring this up from another thread
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]47577[/ATTACH]

I think that one of the problems has been that a good number of the peaceful protesters see nothing wrong with aiding and abetting the violent riders. It's the new radical chic thing to do in order to be cool.

Need an example? Look at all the protesters who participate in using a sea of umbrellas to block the view of the police so that they can't see what the bad apples are up to. Look at how they quickly open up a gap so that someone can use a slingshot to propel things like rocks and canned goods at bone-breaking if not lethal velocities, and then just as quickly close the gap so that the perpetrator can run off and blend in with the crowd.

Those doing this are willfully aiding those who want to do violence to accomplish it.

The only viable defense is to claim that these umbrella brigades aren't part of the peaceful protesters either. But that causes another problem. Given the size of these groups if they aren't peaceful protesters then you can't keep pretending that those out there committing violent acts are a tiny fraction. No, now you'd have to admit that they are a sizable part of the mob.
                          Again, doesn't anyone find it odd that you almost never see this sort of thing when conservatives protest, but when liberals protest it isn't a matter of "if" but "when" will it evolve into looting and rioting.

The rioters feel comfortable blending in with those at liberal protests -- something they obviously don't feel with conservatives. That's because they know that they won't receive assistance from a conservative crowd whereas they can count on it from a liberal one (the umbrella brigades are just one example).

I mean, look at all of the Tea Party protests from a few years back. No burning cars and buildings. No looted stores. In fact, it was common to hear about how when they left they actually left it cleaner than it was before they arrived. In not one case was there anybody asking for money to help repair the damage after the "peaceful" protest like they did after what the left insisted was peaceful in Minneapolis yet the local government wants half a billion dollars to help rebuild afterwards.
                          Attached Files

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'll bring this up from another thread
                            Again, doesn't anyone find it odd that you almost never see this sort of thing when conservatives protest, but when liberals protest it isn't a matter of "if" but "when" will it evolve into looting and rioting.

The rioters feel comfortable blending in with those at liberal protests -- something they obviously don't feel with conservatives. That's because they know that they won't receive assistance from a conservative crowd whereas they can count on it from a liberal one (the umbrella brigades are just one example).

I mean, look at all of the Tea Party protests from a few years back. No burning cars and buildings. No looted stores. In fact, it was common to hear about how when they left they actually left it cleaner than it was before they arrived. In not one case was there anybody asking for money to help repair the damage after the "peaceful" protest like they did after what the left insisted was peaceful in Minneapolis yet the local government wants half a billion dollars to help rebuild afterwards.
                            Yep every time I hear someone saying these are peaceful protests, my mind immediately goes to the Tea Party protests and all of theEdited by a Moderator they got from the left, all of the name calling and derision, and the fact that those actually were truly peaceful protests (which may be why the left despised them so much as they are seemingly incapable of peaceful protests)
                            Last edited by Cow Poke; 08-11-2020, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Black Lives Matter Chicago organizer says looting is 'reparations'

A Black Lives Matter Chicago organizer said Monday that the mobs who vandalized and looted downtown businesses the night before did nothing wrong, calling it “reparations” for Black suffering.

“That is reparations,” Ariel Atkins, an organizer, told NBC Chicago. “Anything they wanted to take, they can take it because these businesses have insurance.”

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ys-looting-is/

--------

WATCH: Woman Shouts ‘I Can’t Breathe’ As She Loots Luxury Clothing Store In Chicago

A woman apparently taking a video of herself looting a high-end store in Chicago at one point yelled, “I can’t breathe” — the phrase George Floyd uttered before his death that has become a slogan for the Black Lives Matter movement.

In the video, posted on social media, the woman is seen walking through a luxury department store saying she is searching for a tool to remove security tags.

https://twitter.com/ColumbiaBugle/st...44439010480128 [language warning]

“I don’t know where the **** keys at!” she yells as she searches drawers attempting to remove what she calls “Canada gooses,” a type of security tag.

“Let me see, does that say Valentino, does that say Dolce and Gabbana?” she says, then begins running through the store before yelling, “I can’t breathe!”
                              https://www.dailywire.com/news/woman...ore-in-chicago

Comment