Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Chicago police return fire as looters hit Mag Mile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Black Lives Matter Chicago organizer says looting is 'reparations'

A Black Lives Matter Chicago organizer said Monday that the mobs who vandalized and looted downtown businesses the night before did nothing wrong, calling it “reparations” for Black suffering.

“That is reparations,” Ariel Atkins, an organizer, told NBC Chicago. “Anything they wanted to take, they can take it because these businesses have insurance.”

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ys-looting-is/

--------

WATCH: Woman Shouts ‘I Can’t Breathe’ As She Loots Luxury Clothing Store In Chicago

A woman apparently taking a video of herself looting a high-end store in Chicago at one point yelled, “I can’t breathe” — the phrase George Floyd uttered before his death that has become a slogan for the Black Lives Matter movement.

In the video, posted on social media, the woman is seen walking through a luxury department store saying she is searching for a tool to remove security tags.

https://twitter.com/ColumbiaBugle/st...44439010480128 [language warning]

“I don’t know where the **** keys at!” she yells as she searches drawers attempting to remove what she calls “Canada gooses,” a type of security tag.

“Let me see, does that say Valentino, does that say Dolce and Gabbana?” she says, then begins running through the store before yelling, “I can’t breathe!”
    https://www.dailywire.com/news/woman...ore-in-chicago
    And our BLM enthusiasts here will still deny there's that agenda?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      And our BLM enthusiasts here will still deny there's that agenda?
      Looting = undocumented reparations.

Comment

Of course not, Leon --- we've been through this. The peaceful protests are clearly differentiated from the non-peaceful ones by the actual presence of peace, and non-proximity to riots.
        It's not as clear as you are implying - as has been evidenced by the number of posts mocking the idea of peaceful protests.

There are, in fact, forces on both the right and the left that want the protests to go violent. They work for that goal, then infiltrate legitimate protests in attempts to drive them that way. If we were to take the tack that is popular on this site of just flagging any protest that goes violent late in the evening as 'a violent protest', we allow these other forces to undermine the legitimacy of the majority of the protests. This is what drives a lot of what you and other like to claim is hypocrisy in terms of classifying the protest based on its majority presence.

The majority of these protests derived from the George Floyd killing are in fact legitimate and peaceful in their orientation. And what they are protesting is a huge and long running injustice that needs to be corrected. So we can't allow White supremacists or the more violent elements of Antifa or whatever to undermine the legitimacy of what is happening here.

But the violence and mayhem needs to be dealt with. And when it's clearly just violence and mayhem as it was in chicago, it must be dealt with and called out by all. But, as I pointed out, that is what happened here.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          It's not as clear as you are implying - as has been evidenced by the number of posts mocking the idea of peaceful protests.

There are, in fact, forces on both the right and the left that want the protests to go violent. They work for that goal, then infiltrate legitimate protests in attempts to drive them that way. If we were to take the tack that is popular on this site of just flagging any protest that goes violent late in the evening as 'a violent protest', we allow these other forces to undermine the legitimacy of the majority of the protests. This is what drives a lot of what you and other like to claim is hypocrisy in terms of classifying the protest based on its majority presence.

The majority of these protests derived from the George Floyd killing are in fact legitimate and peaceful in their orientation. And what they are protesting is a huge and long running injustice that needs to be corrected. So we can't allow White supremacists or the more violent elements of Antifa or whatever to undermine the legitimacy of what is happening here.

But the violence and mayhem needs to be dealt with. And when it's clearly just violence and mayhem as it was in chicago, it must be dealt with and called out by all. But, as I pointed out, that is what happened here.
          Anybody with half a brain can look at a crowd and see the difference between a "peaceful protest" and a potential riot. All you're doing is excusing, minimizing, justifying.....

I stand behind what I said.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Anybody with half a brain can look at a crowd and see the difference between a "peaceful protest" and a potential riot. All you're doing is excusing, minimizing, justifying.....

I think he’s doing more than that. It’s important to consider the sociology of these gatherings, just as it’s important to consider the sociology of Hebrew social unrest. We don’t look back at them and say “those rabble rousers.” We understand that they, like us, are slaves of a corrupt system. Only their system can’t compare with the corruption of ours where we spend 2 trillion to beef up our military forces while ignoring health care.

My niece was born with a defective liver. As of 2016, her medical bill was 2 million dollars. She just now got a liver transplant.

Comment

We have had a number of peaceful protests in our area.

A) they apply for a permit
              2) they notify police
              C) they don't show up with umbrellas, gas masks, rocks, fireworks
              D) they don't block traffic or interfere with the lives of people
              5) they actually interact peacefully with our law enforcement people

I've said it numerous times before, but apparently, Ox misses it ---- I am 100% FOR peaceful protests.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                I think he’s doing more than that. It’s important to consider the sociology of these gatherings, just as it’s important to consider the sociology of Hebrew social unrest. We don’t look back at them and say “those rabble rousers.” We understand that they, like us, are slaves of a corrupt system. Only their system can’t compare with the corruption of ours where we spend 2 trillion to beef up our military forces while ignoring health care.

My niece was born with a defective liver. As of 2016, her medical bill was 2 million dollars. She just now got a liver transplant.
                First of all, the best to your niece.

I think what you guys do is unconsciously (I hope, or do I mean subconsiously) consider the protesters to be ignorant or stupid. If they TRULY wanted to get a message across, it would be done in such a way as to win the hearts and minds of people. As I just posted, we have had a number of peaceful protests in our area, and ZERO of them have turned into riots.

They will not solve anything by rioting - and will actually lose support, as is going on in Portland and Seattle and Chicago as we speak. They don't need coddled - they need somebody to stand up and say, "look, if your objective is......"

Comment

Anybody with half a brain can look at a crowd and see the difference between a "peaceful protest" and a potential riot. ----
                  err - apparently not.

And I stand behind what I said.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

First of all, the best to your niece.

I think what you guys do is unconsciously (I hope, or do I mean subconsiously) consider the protesters to be ignorant or stupid. If they TRULY wanted to get a message across, it would be done in such a way as to win the hearts and minds of people. As I just posted, we have had a number of peaceful protests in our area, and ZERO of them have turned into riots.
                    That's just nuts. My son went to a protest, and it was peaceful over the course of the entire day. Now, would some hooligans that trashed a building at 10pm turn that full day of peaceful protest into a 'riot'. No. But that's the part you don't get.

They will not solve anything by rioting - and will actually lose support,
                    And those disrupting the protests know that. And they also know there are lots of people like you out there that will blame everyone that attended that day for what they did. It's a successful tactic - as you and others here have shown.

as is going on in Portland and Seattle and Chicago as we speak. They don't need coddled - they need somebody to stand up and say, "look, if your objective is......"
                    The ones doing the rioting do indeed need to be arrested and jailed.

Comment

err - apparently not.

And I stand behind what I said.
                      Well, you're entitled to be wrong. You seem to excel at it lately.

Comment

That's just nuts. My son went to a protest, and it was peaceful over the course of the entire day. Now, would some hooligans that trashed a building at 10pm turn that full day of peaceful protest into a 'riot'. No. But that's the part you don't get.
                        Well, there again, anybody with half a brain knows that these "peaceful protests" tend to get violent as the sun goes down.

And those disrupting the protests know that. And they also know there are lots of people like you out there that will blame everyone that attended that day for what they did. It's a successful tactic - as you and others here have shown.
                        And the peaceful protesters DON'T know that? Are they STUPID?

The ones doing the rioting do indeed need to be arrested and jailed.
                        So, again, anybody with half a brain knows that a "peaceful protest" tends to fall apart as the sun goes down, and anybody who stays beyond that is only asking for trouble.

Be a good dad, Jim - explain that to your son. Sun goes down, son goes home.

Comment

Well, there again, anybody with half a brain knows that these "peaceful protests" tend to get violent as the sun goes down.

And the peaceful protesters DON'T know that? Are they STUPID?

So, again, anybody with half a brain knows that a "peaceful protest" tends to fall apart as the sun goes down, and anybody who stays beyond that is only asking for trouble.

Be a good dad, Jim - explain that to your son. Sun goes down, son goes home.
                          Dont be stupid. It was, 'when the planned activities are over, you need to leave'. No need to wait around for the sun to go down.

Comment

Dont be stupid.
                            Cause I'd be stealing your job?

It was, 'when the planned activities are over, you need to leave'. No need to wait around for the sun to go down.
                            So, what's the problem?

Comment

Apply the "good cop" standard to "Peaceful Protesters".

Demand that "peaceful protesters" actively stop the bad ones, not tolerate them. That if "peaceful protesters" tolerate/protect/ignore the violent ones, they are no better than the violent ones. To use the phrase I heard alot when people talked about bad cops. "What do you call 10 good people sitting at a table with 1 nazi?, 11 Nazis".

In other words. If you aren't "Anti-violent protester" you ARE a "violent protester".

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                                Apply the "good cop" standard to "Peaceful Protesters".

Demand that "peaceful protesters" actively stop the bad ones, not tolerate them. That if "peaceful protesters" tolerate/protect/ignore the violent ones, they are no better than the violent ones. To use the phrase I heard alot when people talked about bad cops. "What do you call 10 good people sitting at a table with 1 nazi?, 11 Nazis".

In other words. If you aren't "Anti-violent protester" you ARE a "violent protester".
                                ABSOLUTELY! Or, AT LEAST, the "peaceful protesters" would be wise to make sure their "peaceful protests" don't look like the vandalism and hooliganism and anarchy we're seeing each night.

OX actually hit on this (though I don't know that he realizes he did) by agreeing that the peaceful protests happen in the day, and as the sun goes down, things get wild.
                                Before the sun goes down, the "peaceful protesters" need to go home.

Comment