Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden's running mate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Kamala Harris...

Just 6 months ago, she called him a racist!!!
    Not really, just Trump lies and propaganda:

The very first words of the very first statement that President Trump’s reelection campaign offered in response to the selection of Sen. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.) to be Joe Biden’s running mate were false.

“Not long ago,” the statement from campaign adviser Katrina Pierson read, “Kamala Harris called Joe Biden a racist and asked for an apology she never received.”

None of that is true, and given the alacrity with which similar claims spread following the Harris announcement, it’s worth explaining why.

The claim apparently stems from a moment in the first Democratic primary debate in late June 2019, when Harris and the former vice president were both contending for the party’s nomination. The candidates on the stage, all 10 of them, were discussing then-South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg’s record with his city’s Black population.

Harris, seizing the floor, used the moment to pivot to criticism of Biden, the candidate who had continually led in the polls. Earlier that month, Biden touted his ability to work with senators with whom he disagreed, including ones who supported segregation.

“I was actually very — it was hurtful to hear you talk about the reputations of two United States senators who built their reputations and career on the segregation of race in this country,” Harris said. “And it was not only that, but you also worked with them to oppose busing” — that is, federal efforts to integrate schools by busing Black students into largely White districts.

“You know, there was a little girl in California who was part of the second class to integrate her public schools, and she was bused to school every day,” Harris continued. “And that little girl was me.”

Biden, clearly taken aback, called it “a mischaracterization of my position across the board” and insisted that he “did not praise racists.” The two went back and forth on Biden’s record on busing for a while, and then the conversation moved on.

It was an effective attack that briefly elevated Harris into the upper tier of the field. But it was not an accusation that Biden was racist.

Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden picked Sen. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.) as his running mate on Aug. 11. (Mahlia Posey/The Washington Post; Blair Guild/The Washington Post)
In fact, Harris prefaced her comments by specifically saying she wasn’t making that accusation.

“I’m going to now direct this at Vice President Biden,” she said when she got the floor. “I do not believe you are a racist, and I agree with you when you commit yourself to the importance of finding common ground.”

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii), a frequent foil of Harris’s during the primary race, was one of the first to nonetheless allege that Harris called Biden racist, as she did in a later tweet. This was in part simply a framing of the exchange. But it was also a broader function of Harris’s insistence that Biden be accountable for his comments about the segregationists.

In a speech a few days after the debate, Biden expressed regret for what he had said.
“

Was I wrong a few weeks ago to somehow give the impression to people that I was praising those men who I successfully opposed time and again? Yes, I was. I regret it,” Biden said. “I’m sorry for any of the pain or misconception I may have caused anybody.”

The “anybody” clearly included Harris.
    She responded.
“

He says he’s sorry, and I’m going to take him at his word,” she told CNN. “But again that doesn’t address the issue of busing in America.” Harris also said that Biden was “right to recognize the impact of his words” and that his apology demanded “courage.”

That, again, is not how the Trump campaign statement presented the interactions. Instead, Trump’s team — or, at least, Pierson — appears to be using “called him racist” in the ironically broad sense of “raised questions about his approach to race.” It’s a not-uncommon conflation to assume that race-centered questions about behavior are necessarily questions about racist intent, but it’s a generally unsophisticated one. What’s more, if that’s the bar for calling someone a racist, there are probably few politicians in America who have been “called a racist” more frequently than Pierson’s boss, President Trump.

Often literally. A January poll conducted by The Washington Post and Ipsos found that 4 in 5 Black Americans consider Trump to be racist; a slightly larger percentage said they thought Trump had exacerbated racism in the country. A Quinnipiac University poll released last July found that a majority of Americans similarly believed Trump is racist. That’s the current against which Trump has been trying — unsuccessfully — to swim.

That’s the point of the statement, of course: to muddy the water on Biden’s and Trump’s records on race. With an eye to that goal, Trump has repeatedly claimed to have done more for Black Americans than any prior president, with the possible exception of Abraham Lincoln. In an interview with conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt that aired Tuesday, Trump said he expected to win more Black votes in 2020 than he did in 2016.
Anything is possible. But misrepresenting Harris’s views of Biden’s history is a dishonest way to try to do so.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...-biden-racist/

Dump Trump, dump the Repubs, dump the fascists, dump the Christian Right and all their foul and perverted ways.
    Last edited by firstfloor; 08-12-2020, 02:21 AM.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      Things have changed in the Republican Party endorsing and devoted to the womanizing philanderer Donald Trump.
      Were you in a coma during the 90s? We had a president then who remains a womanizing philanderer, which the left has from the start insisted is none of our business. An ex-president who was neck deep involved with Epstein and his pedophile island and may well end up prosecuted for it as more and more witnesses step up.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        No you don't MM, you voted for Trump.
        In an election where we had a choice between Nope and Noper he selected the lesser of two evils.

Not learning from that the left has once again offered up another "noper." I guess that arises from the arrogance of rigging primaries and debates. You'll take what we offer and like it.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Great Choice by Biden! She had a hard life facing racism.
          As the daughter of a university professor she probably didn't have it too rough.

Interestingly, her father says that one of their ancestors owned slaves which is kind of ironic considering she supports reparations.

Comment

117703552_1653935381426746_8020099058549287940_n.jpg
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              As the daughter of a university professor she probably didn't have it too rough.

Interestingly, her father says that one of their ancestors owned slaves which is kind of ironic considering she supports reparations.
              It was hardly unknown for white male slave owners to have children by their black female slaves. I understand that some of George Washington's descendants are black.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                It was hardly unknown for white male slave owners to have children by their black female slaves. I understand that some of George Washington's descendants are black.
                As usual the point sailed miles over your head.

Harris supports reparations. Shouldn't she lead by example?
                Last edited by rogue06; 08-12-2020, 05:29 AM.

Comment

As usual the point sailed miles over your head.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47612[/ATTACH]

Harris supports reparations. Shouldn't she lead by example?
                  Were her female ancestors willing to engage in sex with white men? I suspect much of the inter-racial sex between "Master" and slave was most likely coercive. i.e. rape.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Were her female ancestors willing to engage in sex with white men? I suspect much of the inter-racial sex between "Master" and slave was most likely coercive. i.e. rape.
                    The fact that her ancestors were slave owners comes from her father's side of the family. FWIU, he is of East Asian-Indian descent -- not African. IOW, they weren't slaves.

As a boy when I read Ian Fleming's Doctor No that I first learned that Jamaica actually has a good number of people of East Asian ancestry.

Comment

In an election where we had a choice between Nope and Noper he selected the lesser of two evils.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47589[/ATTACH]

And then supported him vigorously in each and every illegal and immoral activity he engaged in over the last 3 3/4 years.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

The fact that her ancestors were slave owners comes from her father's side of the family. FWIU, he is of East Asian-Indian descent -- not African. IOW, they weren't slaves.

As a boy when I read Ian Fleming's Doctor No that I first learned that Jamaica actually has a good number of people of East Asian ancestry.
                        I think this is probably a more accurate explanation. It appears from the following that the East Asian-Indian connection comes via her mother.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ka...cestor-slaves/
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Were you in a coma during the 90s? We had a president then who remains a womanizing philanderer, which the left has from the start insisted is none of our business. An ex-president who was neck deep involved with Epstein and his pedophile island and may well end up prosecuted for it as more and more witnesses step up.
                          No I was not in a coma, but Trump tok hedonist womanizing to a new outragious level, and associated with pedophile island. The only person in US history that out did Trump was Benjamin Franklin.
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I think this is probably a more accurate explanation. It appears from the following that the East Asian-Indian connection comes via her mother.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ka...cestor-slaves/
                            With Obama it was birtherism. Whatever it is, kamala will be offered no less from the right than similar ad hominem attacks that have no relation whatsoever to her actual qualifications for vp, and many of which will be steeped in racial or mysoginistic rhetoric.

In this they criticise a women for an ancestor who died almost 200 years ago, but ignore the direct racism of donald trump and donald trumps father in their own business dealings.
                            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 08-12-2020, 06:45 AM.
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

No I was not in a coma, but Trump tok hedonist womanizing to a new outragious level, and associated with pedophile island. The only person in US history that out did Trump was Benjamin Franklin.
                              Trump's only association with Epstein was permanently banning him from his properties right after he discovered what sort of predator he was (he tried to accost an underage staff member at Mar-a-Lago) and assisting lawyers for some of the girls who tried to sue Epstein (something nobody else would do).

OTOH, Clinton flew aboard Epstein's "Lolita Express" over two dozen times and always without Hillary (he didn't want her along to spoil his plans).

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                                So in the year of #BLM riots, the Democrats have chosen the 'if you don't vote for me you ain't black' guy whose crime bill from the 90s sent countless black people to prison......... and as his VP have chosen the woman who as AG in Cali sentenced hundreds of black people to prison for minor marijuana crimes, threatened black mothers with prosecution for truancy, and worked to try to block evidence that could have exonerated an innocent (black) man on death row in her state.

Yeah.......
                                Yup.

richwhiteguy.jpg

https://babylonbee.com/news/party-of...te-man-and-cop

Comment