Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How do they find them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    These things frequently end as cults of personality on BOTH sides.
    nah - you can't sluff of the insanity of this one as being 'equal on both sides'. This is just nuttery. And there is NO EXCUSE for it wherever it shows up.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Yes, both sides, Jim. Both sides typically end up as personality contests.

I do not believe this a personality contest. It is a maater of the Republicans supporting an extreme right wing racist.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        I do not believe this a personality contest. It is a maater of the Republicans supporting an extreme right wing racist.
        don't forget 'nutcase'.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Ah . . .! I saw the mold marks. A Barbie Doll named Karen.
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I think I'll vote for Trump again just to antagonize you. You're not happy unless you're annoyed.
            I am gonna vote for him twice!

Comment

Yes, both sides, Jim. Both sides typically end up as personality contests.
              Well yes, personality has a lot to do with the way people vote, not everything, but no doubt it's a factor, more so for some than for others. But this is about a nutcase, and if people ignore that factor then they're just as much of a nutcase as she is. Unfortunately the US seems to be teeming with ignorant nutcases lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I am gonna vote for him twice!
                In Georgia they do it by the thousands.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  The ones that have left all morality and intelligence behind in service of Trump perhaps. Don't forget there is the Lincoln Project where conservatives not given over to Trumpism have joined with more liberal forces to try to rid us of this abomination.
                  I try hard to distinguish between unreasonable right wingers and garden variety conservatives, but I'm not always successful at it. While the latter appear to be a minority, they are very much a part of whatever force is going to help bring this country out of the swamp it's residing in. Thank you for the correction.

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  But when I look and see that a QAnon supporter won on the Republican ticket, I wonder what hallucinogens have those that elected her been smoking. I'd be no less disgusted than if a moon landing or holocaust denier won an election. It would prove the public that elected them was no less ignorant, no less disconnected from reality.
                  I must sound like a broken record, but there's only one principle behind the phenomenon you're referring to:

Non-right-wing conservatives are evil and must be opposed in everything they say/do.

That's it.

This is a culture war. It has nothing to do with the heath of the country/state/city/town, it has nothing to do with conservative / Christian / American values, it has nothing to do with the constitution. The nutcases hate the outgroup, pure and simple. We need to stop trying to reason with them, and focus our attention on the fence-sitters: people who don't necessarily like the left (or even the moderates), but who are genuinely concerned with the state of our union.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                    I try hard to distinguish between unreasonable right wingers and garden variety conservatives, but I'm not always successful at it. While the latter appear to be a minority, they are very much a part of whatever force is going to help bring this country out of the swamp it's residing in. Thank you for the correction.

I must sound like a broken record, but there's only one principle behind the phenomenon you're referring to:

Non-right-wing conservatives are evil and must be opposed in everything they say/do.

That's it.

This is a culture war. It has nothing to do with the heath of the country/state/city/town, it has nothing to do with conservative / Christian / American values, it has nothing to do with the constitution. The nutcases hate the outgroup, pure and simple. We need to stop trying to reason with them, and focus our attention on the fence-sitters: people who don't necessarily like the left (or even the moderates), but who are genuinely concerned with the state of our union.
                    I am sure you will be surprised to know I sit pretty close to center on the political compass test.

political compass.jpg

https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      In Georgia they do it by the thousands.
                      My aunt was a lifelong Republican. This is the first year she is going to vote Democrat. She died 2 years ago....
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Conspiracy nuts on both sides:

jamielee.jpg

https://twitter.com/jamieleecurtis/s...46051772588032

Comment

I am sure you will be surprised to know I sit pretty close to center on the political compass test.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47631[/ATTACH]

Capture.GIF

I'm a bit more libertarian than you
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

My aunt was a lifelong Republican. This is the first year she is going to vote Democrat. She died 2 years ago....

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47637[/ATTACH]

I'm a bit more libertarian than you
                              Commie!!!

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47631[/ATTACH]

The problem sparko is that element that allows you to be able tolerate, even defend things like Trumps handling of the coronavirus pandemic. To be able to stand behind THAT and the myriad other things like it, something is broken, regardless of whether or not when you declare what you are for or against it comes up somewhere in the middle.

As I observe it - and I know you reject my observations on this entirely - Trump represents such a departure from the basic norms of decency and the principles that founded this country that people must compartmentalize and completely sever the connection between their moral center and their support for Trump. There are so many of you I talk with on this site that for any other person and in any other situation you would completely reject what Trump is. There is no other politician you would tolerate acting as he does. Something is broken here. And it's broken across this nation and in millions of people. And I can't explain it.

Comment