Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Bolsonaro follows his buddy Trump calling the facts of rainforest burning a lie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolsonaro follows his buddy Trump calling the facts of rainforest burning a lie

Bolsonaro follows his buddy Trump calling the facts of rainforest burning a lie, you know 'fake news,' except it has been photographed for years.

Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brazil-environment-fires/brazils-bolsonaro-calls-surging-amazon-fires-a-lie-idUSKCN2572WB

Brazil's Bolsonaro calls surging Amazon fires a 'lie'

Jake Spring, Maria Carolina Marcell

BRASILIA (Reuters) - Brazil’s President Jair Bolsonaro on Tuesday angrily denied the existence of fires in the Amazon rainforest, calling it a “lie,” despite data produced by his own government showing that thousands of fires are surging across the region.

Bolsonaro last year similarly denied a spike in fires that provoked a global outcry, with the right-wing populist trading barbs with French President Emmanuel Macron and other world leaders.

The president’s comments on Tuesday come even as Reuters witnesses in the remote Amazon town of Apui observed smoke blanketing the horizon in all directions during the day and large fires setting the sky aglow at night.

Fires in Brazil’s Amazon for the month of August hit a nine-year high in 2019 and this month so far looks even worse. More than 10,000 fires have been recorded in the first 10 days of August, up 17% from the same period a year ago, according to data from the country’s national space research agency Inpe.

But in a speech to other South American leaders on Tuesday, Bolsonaro challenged foreign representatives to fly over the Amazon saying that traveling by air from the far flung cities of Boa Vista to Manaus, you would not see a single flame.

“They won’t find any spot of fire, nor a quarter of a hectare deforested,” the former army captain told a meeting of members of the Leticia Pact, an agreement between Amazon countries to protect the rainforest.

“This story that the Amazon is going up in flames is a lie and we must combat it with true numbers,” he said.

Bolsonaro interfered in Inpe after it released unfavorable data on Amazon deforestation last year, firing the agency’s head Ricardo Galvao who defended his agency’s numbers that showed rising destruction.

In his speech, Bolsonaro argued that Brazil has shown itself capable of protecting the Amazon alone because the majority of the forest is still standing.

He said the Amazon is a wet forest that preserves itself and does not catch fire. The media and foreign governments are presenting a false narrative about the Amazon, he said.

Experts say that fires are not a natural phenomenon in the rainforest, but are usually man-made in order to clear deforested land for pasture.

Deforestation rose 34.5% in the 12-months through July, compared to the same period a year ago. Forest clearances did fall in July, the first decline in 15 months, a point emphasized by Bolsonaro.[nL1N2F913F]

Foreign pressure is mounting on Brazil to protect the world’s largest rainforest, an ecosystem vital to preserving climate change because of the vast amount of carbon dioxide that it absorbs.

Global investors managing more than $2 trillion have threatened to pull their investments out of Brazil’s meatpackers, grains traders and government bonds if Bolsonaro’s administration doesn’t take action on Amazon destruction.[nL1N2DV1BP]

Bolsonaro has dispatched the military to fight fires and deforestation since May, with the armed forces working with environmental agency Ibama to combat fires near Apui, according to Reuters witnesses.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-12-2020, 03:05 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Last year there was a good deal of fuss about the Amazon rain forest burning at an alarming rate which at the time was shown to not to be the case.
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Michael Shellenberger, who Time magazine declared a Hero of the Environment in 2008, has written a scathing article in Forbes excoriating some of the claims made about the fires in the Amazon and explicitly targeting some of the celebutards who have jumped into the fray.

Source: Why Everything They Say About The Amazon, Including That It's The 'Lungs Of The World,' Is Wrong

The increase in fires burning in Brazil set off a storm of international outrage last week. Celebrities, environmentalists, and political leaders blame Brazilian president, Jair Bolsonaro, for destroying the world’s largest rainforest, the Amazon, which they say is the “lungs of the world.”

Singers and actors including Madonna and Jaden Smith shared photos on social media that were seen by tens of millions of people. “The lungs of the Earth are in flames,” said actor Leonardo DiCaprio. “The Amazon Rainforest produces more than 20% of the world’s oxygen,” tweeted soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo. “The Amazon rain forest — the lungs which produce 20% of our planet’s oxygen — is on fire,” tweeted French President Emanuel Macron.

And yet the photos weren’t actually of the fires and many weren’t even of the Amazon. The photo Ronaldo shared was taken in southern Brazil, far from the Amazon, in 2013. The photo that DiCaprio and Macron shared is over 20 years old. The photo Madonna and Smith shared is over 30. Some celebrities shared photos from Montana, India, and Sweden.

To their credit, CNN and New York Times debunked the photos and other misinformation about the fires. “Deforestation is neither new nor limited to one nation,” explained CNN. “These fires were not caused by climate change,” noted The Times.

But both publications repeated the claim that the Amazon is the “lungs” of the world. “The Amazon remains a net source of oxygen today,” said CNN. “The Amazon is often referred to as Earth’s ‘lungs,’ because its vast forests release oxygen and store carbon dioxide, a heat-trapping gas that is a major cause of global warming,” claimed The New York Times.

I was curious to hear what one of the world’s leading Amazon forest experts, Dan Nepstad, had to say about the “lungs” claim.

“It’s [term for bovine fecal matter],” he said. “There’s no science behind that. The Amazon produces a lot of oxygen but it uses the same amount of oxygen through respiration so it’s a wash.”

Plants use respiration to convert nutrients from the soil into energy. They use photosynthesis to convert light into chemical energy, which can later be used in respiration.

What about The New York Times claim that “If enough rain forest is lost and can’t be restored, the area will become savanna, which doesn’t store as much carbon, meaning a reduction in the planet’s ‘lung capacity’”?

Also not true, said Nepstad, who was a lead author of the most recent Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report. “The Amazon produces a lot of oxygen, but so do soy farms and [cattle] pastures.”

Some people will no doubt wave away the “lungs” myth as nit-picking. The broader point is that there is an increase in fires in Brazil and something should be done about it.

But the “lungs” myth is just the tip of the iceberg. Consider that CNN ran a long segment with the banner, “Fires Burning at Record Rate in Amazon Forest” while a leading climate reporter claimed, “The current fires are without precedent in the past 20,000 years.”

While the number of fires in 2019 is indeed 80% higher than in 2018, it’s just 7% higher than the average over the last 10 years ago, Nepstad said.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47632[/ATTACH]

One of Brazil’s leading environmental journalists agrees that media coverage of the fires has been misleading. “It was under [Workers Party President] Lula and [Environment Secretary] Marina Silva (2003-2008) that Brazil had the highest incidence of burning,” Leonardo Coutinho told me over email. “But neither Lula nor Marina was accused of putting the Amazon at risk.”

Coutinho’s perspective was shaped by reporting on the ground in the Amazon for Veja, Brazil’s leading news magazine, for nearly a decade. By contrast, many of the correspondents reporting on the fires have been doing so from the cosmopolitan cities of São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, which are 2,500 miles and four hours by jet plane away.

“What is happening in the Amazon is not exceptional,” said Coutinho. “Take a look at Google web searches search for ‘Amazon’ and ‘Amazon Forest’ over time. Global public opinion was not as interested in the ‘Amazon tragedy’ when the situation was undeniably worse. The present moment does not justify global hysteria.”

And while fires in Brazil have increased, there is no evidence that Amazon forest fires have.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

[*Article continues at link above*]

Interesting to note that deforestation of the Amazon has declined “a whopping 70 percent from 2004 to 2012.” Recent increases are still at “one-quarter of its 2004 peak.”

Others have brought it up as well:
    • NASA: Brazil Fires:
      As of August 16, 2019, an analysis of NASA satellite data indicated that total fire activity across the Amazon basin this year has been close to the average in comparison to the past 15 years. (The Amazon spreads across Brazil, Peru, Colombia, and parts of other countries.) Though activity appears to be above average in the states of Amazonas and Rondônia, it has so far appeared below average in Mato Grosso and Pará, according to estimates from the Global Fire Emissions Database, a research project that compiles and analyzes NASA data.
    • New York Times: What Satellite Imagery Tells Us About the Amazon Rain Forest Fires:
      Scientists studying satellite image data from the fires in the Amazon rain forest said that most of the fires are burning on agricultural land where the forest had already been cleared.
    Attached Files

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Last year there was a good deal of fuss about the Amazon rain forest burning at an alarming rate which at the time was shown to not to be the case.

Others have brought it up as well:
      • NASA: Brazil Fires:
        As of August 16, 2019, an analysis of NASA satellite data indicated that total fire activity across the Amazon basin this year has been close to the average in comparison to the past 15 years. (The Amazon spreads across Brazil, Peru, Colombia, and parts of other countries.) Though activity appears to be above average in the states of Amazonas and Rondônia, it has so far appeared below average in Mato Grosso and Pará, according to estimates from the Global Fire Emissions Database, a research project that compiles and analyzes NASA data.
      • New York Times: What Satellite Imagery Tells Us About the Amazon Rain Forest Fires:
        Scientists studying satellite image data from the fires in the Amazon rain forest said that most of the fires are burning on agricultural land where the forest had already been cleared.
      All you show is the forest fires vary from year to year. There are still forest fires every year.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        All you show is the forest fires vary from year to year. There are still forest fires every year.
        Hardly a surprise given its size. In fact, it would be stunning if there were none.

The fact remains that there was a lot of hysterical hand wringing last year about fires burning out of control in the Amazon and it turned out to be codswallop.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Hardly a surprise given its size. In fact, it would be stunning if there were none.

The fact remains that there was a lot of hysterical hand wringing last year about fires burning out of control in the Amazon and it turned out to be codswallop.
          No, as in all recent years there are wide spread fires in the Amazon. They are real, some years more than others.

Frank

Comment

You're trying to ruin a good story with them fact thingies!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No, as in all recent years there are wide spread fires in the Amazon. They are real, some years more than others.
              Nobody is arguing that there aren't any fires in the Amazon. As the chart I supplied demonstrates the scope of these fires has diminished rather drastically from their height between 10 and 18 years ago.

Comment

Nobody is arguing that there aren't any fires in the Amazon. As the chart I supplied demonstrates the scope of these fires has diminished rather drastically from their height between 10 and 18 years ago.

. . . but have recently increaded in the past 4or 5 years.

ENRON book keeping does not cut the mustard.

Frank

Comment

. . . but have recently increaded in the past 4or 5 years.

Comment

You really need to update your dumb one-liners. You keep using this one, and it's really old.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47685[/ATTACH]

Yes you go back 5 0r six years and the fires were less. The reality is fires in Tropical Rain forests that are reducing and degrading the Rain Forest in recent history and are an increasing problem in recent history.

Frank

Comment

Read your OP again.

Now read your last post.

Notice anything?

moving those goalposts.jpg

Comment

Read your OP again.

Now read your last post.

Notice anything?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47704[/ATTACH]
                          Your silly pictures as usual do not contribute to the discussion.

No you are moving the goalposts from yes there have been Tropical Rain Forest fires that do indeed vary from year to year, and yes the fires are higher in some years and lower in others. Trump's Brazilian clone claimed the fires do not exist.

Frank

Comment

Your silly pictures as usual do not contribute to the discussion.
                            Your nutty fascination with Enron doesn't contribute to the discussion. You are such a hypocrite that you complain about others doing exactly what you do so frequently, Charles Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Your nutty fascination with Enron doesn't contribute to the discussion. You are such a hypocrite that you complain about others doing exactly what you do so frequently, Charles Jr.
                              Pfffffft! Plop!

Frank

Comment