Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

You can only laugh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can only laugh!

Trump's own words:

"In 1917 they say, the great pandemic was a terrible thing where they lost anywhere from 50 to 100 million people, probably ended the Second World War all the soldiers were sick."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y5xY829UoY
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Unpopular opinion, but people make too much out of simple verbal gaffes. I remember when Andy Schlafly developed a big theory about how when Barack Obama said there were 57 states, he was referring to a specific conglomeration of 57 Islamic nations... and it was ridiculous.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      Unpopular opinion, but people make too much out of simple verbal gaffes. I remember when Andy Schlafly developed a big theory about how when Barack Obama said there were 57 states, he was referring to a specific conglomeration of 57 Islamic nations... and it was ridiculous.
      Trump has turned the foot in mouth/gaffe into a way of speaking. The man is Mencken's prediction come true.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        Trump has turned the foot in mouth/gaffe into a way of speaking. The man is Mencken's prediction come true.
        The smart presidents rely totally on the teleprompter and scripts written by their staffs. You can't hope for anything better than genuine intellect obtained merely from the staff writers.

Comment

Trump's own words:

"In 1917 they say, the great pandemic was a terrible thing where they lost anywhere from 50 to 100 million people, probably ended the Second World War all the soldiers were sick."

I assume he meant to say the First World War but simply misspoke.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
            I assume he meant to say the First World War but simply misspoke.
            Then he should have immediately corrected himself.

We all can make a verbal faux pas but our brain recognises what has come out of our mouth and we quickly correct ourselves.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
              The smart presidents rely totally on the teleprompter and scripts written by their staffs. You can't hope for anything better than genuine intellect obtained merely from the staff writers.
              A ninth grader would know that the Spanish Flu did not end WW2. An eleventh grader should know that the Spanish Flu did not start in 1917.

Good grief the 75th anniversary of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was only last week.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

A ninth grader would know that the Spanish Flu did not end WW2. An eleventh grader should know that the Spanish Flu did not start in 1917.

Good grief the 75th anniversary of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was only last week.
                Maybe you can become ruler of the free world.

Comment

One would expect the supposed Leader of the Free World to have at least reached the eleventh grade of his education.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

He likely was thinking he had been in 47 states but when he said "all" his mind switched to 50 states (as in "all 50 states") and it got combined into 57 when it came out of his mouth (the 47 he had campaigned in and "all 50"). It was a humorous gaffe but if it were Trump it would be high on those various list of "lies" he has said.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      He likely was thinking he had been in 47 states but when he said "all" his mind switched to 50 states (as in "all 50 states") and it got combined into 57 when it came out of his mouth (the 47 he had campaigned in and "all 50"). It was a humorous gaffe but if it were Trump it would be high on those various list of "lies" he has said.
                      Honestly, we on the right made a lot of fun of it at the time, mainly because Barry was always lauded as being such a bright intellect and articulate speaker. And clean.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

She's definitely becoming "one of them".
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                          Honestly, we on the right made a lot of fun of it at the time, mainly because Barry was always lauded as being such a bright intellect and articulate speaker. And clean.
                          And "the One".
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Trump's own words:

Actually this is the first time I actually agree with Trump. The Flu pandemic first spread among allied forces brought to the war by US troops, and then after a key battle along the German border in the Meuse-Argonne Campaign it spread widely in the German army and their allies from captured American troops. The caaualties were so high, 28% of the total war casualties in one year, that yes it likley contributed to the end of World War i.

Actually I used the 1917-1920 flu pandemic course in the human population to help me model the COVID-19 pandemic course.
                            Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-12-2020, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Unpopular opinion, but people make too much out of simple verbal gaffes.
                              This would be a fun subject to debate/discuss. While I agree with you somewhat, I believe I can make a good case for those expectations being justifiable.

Comment