Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Postoffices are quietly getting rid of sorting machines head of election.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postoffices are quietly getting rid of sorting machines head of election.

This does not make any sense to me.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/n...f-the-election

Source: Motherboard - The Post Office Is Deactivating Mail Sorting Machines Ahead of the Election

The United States Postal Service is removing mail sorting machines from facilities around the country without any official explanation or reason given, Motherboard has learned through interviews with postal workers and union officials. In many cases, these are the same machines that would be tasked with sorting ballots, calling into question promises made by Postmaster General Louis DeJoy that the USPS has “ample capacity” to handle the predicted surge in mail-in ballots.

© Copyright Original Source

Maybe they are getting ready to upgrade them in order to get ready for the election?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Maybe they are getting ready to upgrade them in order to get ready for the election?
      Upgrading equipment and systems right before an election is a recipe for disaster. You don't get a chance to adequately test them and work the bugs out.

I mean has everyone forgot the fiasco that was the Iowa caucus?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        This does not make any sense to me.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/n...f-the-election

Source: Motherboard - The Post Office Is Deactivating Mail Sorting Machines Ahead of the Election

The United States Postal Service is removing mail sorting machines from facilities around the country without any official explanation or reason given, Motherboard has learned through interviews with postal workers and union officials. In many cases, these are the same machines that would be tasked with sorting ballots, calling into question promises made by Postmaster General Louis DeJoy that the USPS has “ample capacity” to handle the predicted surge in mail-in ballots.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ection-funding

So much for US democracy. The man is quite brazen in his admission that he wishes to undermine the postal vote.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

So much for US democracy. The man is quite brazen in his admission that he wishes to undermine the postal vote.
          It would be an unnecessary, untested, unstable, untrustworthy voting system which suddenly shifts to mail-in ballots sent independently of the voter registration roles. It is the states who are deciding to change their voting systems suddenly. The post office has no obligation to grow to this new demand and this new level of instability.

Comment

The fact that a Postmaster General was appointed who has millions invested in USPS competitors is a massive conflict of interest.

There may be business rationales that can make sense (reorganization) but in light of Trump all but admitting today that he was looking to sabotage the Postal Service, this doesn't look good.
            Last edited by KingsGambit; 08-13-2020, 01:40 PM.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The total lack of (federal) Republican concern for the undermining of our election process is nigh treason.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                The total lack of (federal) Republican concern for the undermining of our election process is nigh treason.
                Um... what? It's the Democrats who are pushing to upend the election with an new and untested process that has already proven to be problematic at the very least.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Source: Trump from above link

“They need that money in order to have the post office work so it can take all of these millions and millions of ballots,” Trump said in an interview with Fox Business’s Maria Bartiromo. “If they don’t get those two items, that means you can’t have universal mail-in voting because they’re not equipped to have it.”

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Um... what? It's the Democrats who are pushing to upend the election
                    ... and yet according to this thread, it's a Republican-appointed flunkie who appears to be doing just that.

Patriotic Republicans should be complaining, too.

But for the most part, all we get from the right side of the fence is crickets.
                    Last edited by Whateverman; 08-13-2020, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Can someone find the actual interview where Trump says that? I don't trust the quote to not be out of context.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Can someone find the actual interview where Trump says that? I don't trust the quote to not be out of context.
                        Do you trust a Google search?

https://twitter.com/therecount/statu...96544668782592

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          Source: Trump from above link

“They need that money in order to have the post office work so it can take all of these millions and millions of ballots,” Trump said in an interview with Fox Business’s Maria Bartiromo. “If they don’t get those two items, that means you can’t have universal mail-in voting because they’re not equipped to have it.”

OK I found the interview, the topic starts here:

https://youtu.be/OL08DwwU0sk?t=596 and runs for a few minutes.

He is not saying he is cutting money to the post office. He is complaining about the democrats not coming to a deal with the republicans and they are the ones who need the money for mail in voting. He is saying they need the money so they should be willing to make a deal but they aren't. This isn't Trump trying to undermine mail in voting, but saying basically, "if the democrats need the money so badly, they should be willing to deal" in regards to the stimulus package. This is not about him withholding any funds.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                            ... and yet according to this thread, it's a Republican-appointed flunkie who appears to be doing just that.

Patriotic Republicans should be complaining, too.

But for the most part, all we get from the right side of the fence is crickets.
                            If only there was a time tested alternative to mail-in-voting...
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Upgrading equipment and systems right before an election is a recipe for disaster. You don't get a chance to adequately test them and work the bugs out.

I mean has everyone forgot the fiasco that was the Iowa caucus?
                              I mean, how would that be much different than the current proposal to suddenly have nationwide full mail-in voting, including in countless states that have never done such a thing before?

Has everyone forgotten with the NY race, where over a month later now, there STILL are having issues?
                              https://www.thecentersquare.com/new_...3ba0d98f5.html

Comment