Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Postoffices are quietly getting rid of sorting machines head of election.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congress is returning early to deal with this. I hope they have the power and the spine to put an end to the systematic destruction of the reliability and timeliness of the USPS.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Trump steals the election, massive civil unrest ensues, dissent is crushed, American democracy is put out of its misery. Christians celebrate.

There’s a plausible way that independent voting experts worry President Trump could try to steal the election: by blocking the counting of mail-in ballots.

Democrats are much more supportive of voting by mail than Republicans, according to recent polls. That’s partly because Trump has falsely smeared mail-in voting as subject to widespread fraud.

Election officials are expecting an enormous increase in voting by mail — including in the Washington region — because people are afraid to go to the polls during a pandemic. It takes longer to count mail-in ballots than those cast in person.

So, on election night, initial returns based on in-person voting could show Trump winning, even though large numbers of mailed ballots remain uncounted.

At that point, the experts warn, Trump could declare himself the victor, saying the mailed ballots should be ignored because of the (baseless) risk of significant fraud. In states where Republicans control the voting process, he might get away with it.

“It is possible that he will say, ‘We should stop counting ballots because all those absentee ballots are illegitimate,’ ” said Trevor Potter, president of the nonpartisan Campaign Legal Center.

“If his supporters believe that, it would be false but unfortunate in terms of the country accepting the credibility of the final election results,” said Potter, a former Republican-appointed chairman of the Federal Election Commission, who was general counsel for the presidential campaigns of the late senator John McCain (R-Ariz.).

Wendy Weiser, vice president of the Brennan Center’s Democracy Program, agreed that such a “nightmare scenario” is a risk.

“It’s absolutely to be expected that most of the votes will be cast by mail” and take days to count, Weiser said. “It’s really important that the public be educated beforehand about the facts of what’s going to occur.”

Preparing the public to vote in a pandemic is just one of a daunting number of challenges facing state and local officials in what promises to be the most chaotic presidential election in our lifetimes. The novel coronavirus has snarled logistics as the Trump administration resists providing financial support and appears intent on making the situation worse.

Trump said Thursday that he opposes both election aid for states and an emergency bailout for the U.S. Postal Service because he wants to restrict how many Americans can vote by mail.

Mail delivery has slowed because the recently appointed postmaster general, Louis DeJoy, has reduced overtime and taken mail-sorting machines out of service. The agency has warned 46 states, including Maryland and Virginia, and D.C. that voters may be disenfranchised because it cannot deliver mailed ballots in time to meet counting deadlines.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...9a6_story.html
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        Trump steals the election, massive civil unrest ensues, dissent is crushed, American democracy is put out of its misery. Christians celebrate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...9a6_story.html
        Like I said. Groundwork is being laid to delegitimize the election in the case Trump Wins.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
          Like I said. Groundwork is being laid to delegitimize the election in the case Trump Wins.
          Americans are capable of running a fair and credible election, and they are not stupid either. They know when they are being cheated, and they know when the process is fair. Unfortunately, Trump does not want to risk losing, so he will use all the powers at his disposal to illegitimately skew the results in his favour, including allowing Russia to do everything they can to keep him in power. Of course, the Repubs have been at it for years; cheating at elections is second nature to them.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

no, in the case Trump loses, which is by far the most likely outcome.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

You misspelled "Biden".

Comment

A common tactic of republicans, such as the above, is to accuse the democrats of what they themselves are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  A common tactic of republicans, such as the above, is to accuse the democrats of what they themselves are doing.
                  It happens all the frikkin time! It's really weird, because it almost appears to be unintentional...

Comment

Question Jim. You OBVIOUSLY believe that Trump is trying to suppress the mail-in vote.

What happens if Trump wins? Do you quietly accept it "knowing" that Trump succeeded in that suppression or do you fight the illegitimate election? What do you do?

Comment

Do you not consider Trump and his supporters are doing precisely the same thing?
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      The things that you're liable
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life
                      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

New CNN poll shows Trump cutting Biden's big lead down to 4 points

https://www.theblaze.com/news/cnn-po...ts-bidens-lead
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Question Jim. You OBVIOUSLY believe that Trump is trying to suppress the mail-in vote.

What happens if Trump wins? Do you quietly accept it "knowing" that Trump succeeded in that suppression or do you fight the illegitimate election? What do you do?
                          If the President used his powers to rig the election and blocked thousands of peoples votes from being counted then of course I wouldn't accept it, and neither should any american citizen accept it. Your problem is not recognizing who it is that is trying to suppress the vote and who it is that is trying to stop that suppression from happening, and that is simply a matter of you being on team Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            New CNN poll shows Trump cutting Biden's big lead down to 4 points

https://www.theblaze.com/news/cnn-po...ts-bidens-lead
                            The enbonpoint lady has to undertake some musical modulations before it ends.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            The things that you're liable
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life
                            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Democrats have spent several days flogging the false “mailbox conspiracy” theory that President Donald Trump is deliberately crippling the U.S. Postal Service so that it cannot handle votes by mail in November — even forcing it to remove mailboxes.

The truth is that the mailboxes were removed because mailboxes are always being removed. About 14,000 were removed during the Obama-Biden administration. Democrats are creating a new hysteria to cast Trump as a tyrant and motivate their conspiracy-theory-addled voters.

[...]

The truth is far more mundane.

The U.S. Postal Service has been a problem for years, constantly losing money.

In 2009, the postmaster general proposed moving to five-day-per-week mail delivery to cut costs. President Barack Obama criticized the service that year for failing to keep up with private sector competitors. The Obama-Biden administration considered closing nearly 3,700 post office locations, and proposed cutting 12,000 postal jobs.

President Trump tried a different tack, demanding in 2018 that Amazon lower the prices it charged the U.S. Postal Service for delivering its packages to consumers.

One aspect of ongoing cost management is the removal of mailbox from areas where few people deposit mail.

Kimberly Frum, a spokeswoman for the service, told The Hill (via the Blaze) that low-volume mailboxes are regularly removed to cut costs...

[...]

The bottleneck is not necessarily the U.S. Postal Service, but rather the state and local election officials who set arbitrary deadlines for postmarking ballots, and who will have to sort out millions more additional mailed ballots than they are used to handling. In many states, they have never done anything like it before.

In New York’s Democratic primary, more than one out of every four vote-by-mail ballots was disqualified. In Clark County, Nevada, 223,000 mailed ballots were returned as undeliverable. That is not a postal problem; it is a government problem that cannot be fixed by November.

[...]

But given that the Obama-Biden administration itself removed thousands upon thousands of mailboxes, this is a conspiracy theory that — like the others — has gone bust, at least for those of us living in the real world.

https://www.breitbart.com/2020-elect...piracy-theory/
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

If the President used his powers to rig the election and blocked thousands of peoples votes from being counted then of course I wouldn't accept it, and neither should any american citizen accept it. Your problem is not recognizing who it is that is trying to suppress the vote and who it is that is trying to stop that suppression from happening, and that is simply a matter of you being on team Trump.
                                So, as I said, the groundwork is being laid to declare the election result invalid if Trump wins. It's not a projection to say that it's likely to happen, you yourself say you are going to contest it based on you "knowing" Trump is rigging the election.

There is a concerted push to make sure that enough people "know" trump is rigging the election. So, it's pretty clear that if Trump wins it won't be accepted.

Comment