Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 104

Thread: Why should I believe in Jesus and the NT?

  1. #1
    tWebber Avraham Ibn Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Here
    Faith
    Jewish
    Posts
    72
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    0

    Why should I believe in Jesus and the NT?

    The thread title is the question for this thread. Why should I believe in Jesus and the NT? From the Jewish Standpoint there really is no reason to believe in Jesus in any capacity. Judaism has a very developed theological system with our Mesorah covering virtually every aspect of the Jewish Life and beliefs.

    I'm really looking for an open discussion with substantiated reasons concerning why I should believe in Jesus and the NT.

    Shalom,

    Avraham Ibn Ezra.
    אברהם אבן עזרא

    Avraham Ibn Ezra

  2. #2
    Professor Catholicity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    the neighbor of the yellow brick road
    Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,695
    Amen (Given)
    1057
    Amen (Received)
    1477
    Well...I can sit here all day and tell you until I'm blue in the face why I think you should. But unless you really and truly wish to know him, and let him love you;

    You'll never really understand exactly what I'd be speaking of.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

  3. #3
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15,424
    Amen (Given)
    11272
    Amen (Received)
    6453
    Shalom, Avraham. Thank you for your question.

    If I were a Jew and understood the Old Testament, especially the prophet Isaiah, but including all of the writings of the prophets, I would have no choice but to believe in Jesus as the Messiah, because He fulfills EVERY prophecy made about the Messiah in the OT. Except for those still future prophecies about the kingdom yet to be fulfilled.



    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  4. #4
    Professor Catholicity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    the neighbor of the yellow brick road
    Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,695
    Amen (Given)
    1057
    Amen (Received)
    1477
    Also, I should add this, I understand that in Judaism, the goal is to seek to know and to serve God, and to give to others as God has generously given to the Jewish People. Please correct me if I'm wrong. My interest is, in Judaism do you seek to Love God more Deeply and do you seek out his Love daily for you in your life?
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

  5. #5
    tWebber robrecht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Kingdom of God
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,865
    Amen (Given)
    896
    Amen (Received)
    1563
    Quote Originally Posted by Avraham Ibn Ezra View Post
    The thread title is the question for this thread. Why should I believe in Jesus and the NT? From the Jewish Standpoint there really is no reason to believe in Jesus in any capacity. Judaism has a very developed theological system with our Mesorah covering virtually every aspect of the Jewish Life and beliefs.

    I'm really looking for an open discussion with substantiated reasons concerning why I should believe in Jesus and the NT.

    Shalom,

    Avraham Ibn Ezra.
    Peace. If I were Jewish, I would want to know more about this period in the history of my people. I'd want to know more about the Judaisms of this time, and to find out how a sect within Judaism grew to become such a malevolent force of oppression and death against my people. What went wrong, was this what was intended from the beginning? Who was this man from Galilee? Was he a Jew? An Israelite? Was he misunderstood? Was he a prophet? Was he a false prophet? Did he deserve to be put to death? Is any part of his teaching worthwhile? I would do this carefully, cautiously, and prayerfully, and be open to discovering a deeper walk with God, if Jesus has anything worthwhile to say to your life. Some Jews discover a fellow Jew, from a different time, but with a profound teaching about our relationship with each other and with God that is very profound, very Jewish, and worth exploring further.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

    אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

  6. #6
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,968
    Amen (Given)
    1056
    Amen (Received)
    758
    I would not recommend a Jew become a Christian based on the New Testament any more then I would recommend someone becoming a Jew based on the Old Testament. I recommend a believer in any of the ancient religions to try to understand God in terms of the universal Revelation for all humanity throughout our human journey including Zoroastrian, Hindu, Buddhism, Islam, Taoism and all the Spirtual wisdom in all cultures. I believe the relationship between humanity and God is universal as the spiritual evolution of our physical existence including the possibility of other worlds as described in the Baha'i Faith. The alternative of a Source sometimes called God(s) as selecting only one people as 'chosen' over all others is illogical and unreasonable. The alternative is of course is atheism where the universal nature of humanity and all physical existence is simply the natural way of our existence.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 06-05-2014 at 05:08 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  7. #7
    tWebber Avraham Ibn Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Here
    Faith
    Jewish
    Posts
    72
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Shalom, Avraham. Thank you for your question.

    If I were a Jew and understood the Old Testament, especially the prophet Isaiah, but including all of the writings of the prophets, I would have no choice but to believe in Jesus as the Messiah, because He fulfills EVERY prophecy made about the Messiah in the OT. Except for those still future prophecies about the kingdom yet to be fulfilled.

    I understand that Christians feel that he fulfilled certain "prophecies" and that is all fine an dandy. Is the fulfillment of certain "Prophecies" the only reason I should believe in Jesus and the NT?
    אברהם אבן עזרא

    Avraham Ibn Ezra

  8. #8
    tWebber Avraham Ibn Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Here
    Faith
    Jewish
    Posts
    72
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Catholicity View Post
    Also, I should add this, I understand that in Judaism, the goal is to seek to know and to serve God, and to give to others as God has generously given to the Jewish People. Please correct me if I'm wrong. My interest is, in Judaism do you seek to Love God more Deeply and do you seek out his Love daily for you in your life?
    By observing G-d's Torah and doing His Mitzvot we seek out G-d and know what G-d desires of us. As far as loving G-d and how I feel read Deuteronomy 6:5-9.
    אברהם אבן עזרא

    Avraham Ibn Ezra

  9. #9
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15,424
    Amen (Given)
    11272
    Amen (Received)
    6453
    Quote Originally Posted by Avraham Ibn Ezra View Post
    I understand that Christians feel that he fulfilled certain "prophecies" and that is all fine an dandy. Is the fulfillment of certain "Prophecies" the only reason I should believe in Jesus and the NT?
    What do you think would be a reason for you to believe in Jesus and the NT?


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  10. #10
    tWebber Avraham Ibn Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Here
    Faith
    Jewish
    Posts
    72
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    Was he a Jew?
    Yes

    An Israelite?
    All Jews are Israelites

    Was he misunderstood?
    Probably

    Was he a prophet?
    Doubtful

    Was he a false prophet?
    don't know

    Did he deserve to be put to death?
    I dont care to speculate. Apparently Pilate thought so and so did the high priest and his chief guards of the temple. Notice the Pharisees are missing from this equation.

    Is any part of his teaching worthwhile?
    From what I can tell it wasn't anything new. Most of his teachings are straight from his Pharisaic teachers and contemporaries

    I would do this carefully, cautiously, and prayerfully, and be open to discovering a deeper walk with God,
    If you want a deeper meaning go for Kabbalah. it has enough Shutyot to fill a shipyard.

    Some Jews discover a fellow Jew, from a different time, but with a profound teaching about our relationship with each other and with God that is very profound, very Jewish, and worth exploring further.
    What do you mean by "discover?"
    אברהם אבן עזרא

    Avraham Ibn Ezra

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •