Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Why should I believe in Jesus and the NT?

Undergraduate
    Faith
    Jewish
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Shalom, Avraham. Thank you for your question.

If I were a Jew and understood the Old Testament, especially the prophet Isaiah, but including all of the writings of the prophets, I would have no choice but to believe in Jesus as the Messiah, because He fulfills EVERY prophecy made about the Messiah in the OT. Except for those still future prophecies about the kingdom yet to be fulfilled.

Why Isaiah? What prophecies did he fulfill?

Undergraduate
    Faith
    Jewish
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    sorry still learning how this works

tWebber
    Faith
    Unorthodox
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by HebrewIsraeli View Post
    Why Isaiah? What prophecies did he fulfill?
    Not so much as what prophecy that Isaiah fulfilled - but what he predicted in, 7:14 (Messianic passage). "Therefore, G-d Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the young woman will conceive and bear a son, and she will call his name Immanuel."

• There is no more timely message for this period of the Jewish calendar and the Tisha B’Av observance than this very message of the prophet Isaiah. Isaiah 1:16: “Rah’cha’tzoo hee’za’koo, ha’see’roo ro’ah ma’ah’l'lay’chem mee’neh’ged ay’nai,” Wash yourselves, purify yourselves, remove the evil of your doings from before My eyes; desist from doing evil. Learn to do good, seek justice, strengthen the victim, do justice for the orphan, take up the cause of the widow.

In those days Hezekiah became very sick. Isaiah came and told him that he would die. Hezekiah prayed to the Lord. The Lord told Isaiah to tell Hezekiah that his life would be extended 15 years. Hezekiah asked for a sign of God's healing, so God moved the sun back 10 degrees.

When the king of Babylon heard of Hezekiah's healing he sent presents to him. Hezekiah showed off all the wealth of Jerusalem and the temple but he did not mention the Lord God. Afterwards Isaiah told Hezekiah that all he had shown them would eventually be taken away and brought to Babylon. 100 years later, Nebuchadnezzar, the king of Babylon, came back and destroyed Jerusalem and took the people captive.'

References:

Hezekiah

The Marcos and Adina Katz YUTorah Online. A project of YU's Center for the Jewish Future.
    Rabbi Isaac Elchanan Theological Seminary
    An Affiliate of Yeshiva University
    Devarim-Tisha B'Av 5766-2006: Isaiah’s Message to Contemporary Jews

tWebber
    Faith
    Unorthodox
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    HebrewIsraeli: sorry still learning how this works

So am I ....it's a long journey!