Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Great day with the bees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    GJ, that sounds like a great day!

I have a question for you about a bee.

I was going down the stairs to my basement the other day and saw what I thought was a huge beetle crawling across the floor. Which is icky, since we don't have huge beetles here.....as far as I know.....

When I got closer, I saw that it was a huge bee crawling across the floor. Probably 2 inches long, fat body, seemed very sluggish. My son trapped it in a box and we released it outside where it crawled away.

We hope that it came in on somebody's clothes, but I was wondering if you knew what kind of bee it might have been. I would call it a bumblebee, but it seemed to have a longer body that what I would normally think of as a bumblebee having.

I expect it was a queen bumble bee. Some of them are that large, even though the ultimate offspring will be just normal bumble bee size. If it was crawling it was probably starving. Not many nectar producing flowers indoors. I am afraid it will have crawled away and died. One less bumble bee nest in your neighborhood.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Do you get Carpenter Bees in the wilds of Canuckistan?
      I don't believe that there are carpenter bees 2 inches long. At least none I have heard of. I am not a carpenter bee expert however - nor a bumble bee expert for that matter.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
        Dear Mr. Beeman,

i have seen bees being vacuumed up. Doesn't this hurt the bees?
        Beekeepers who often take swarms will build a vacuum attachment that allows them to safely harvest a swarm without killing the bees. A non corrugated hose would be a part of the thing if I were to build it. There is also allowance for reducing the strength of the vacuum, also to protect bees from harm.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          I expect it was a queen bumble bee. Some of them are that large, even though the ultimate offspring will be just normal bumble bee size. If it was crawling it was probably starving. Not many nectar producing flowers indoors. I am afraid it will have crawled away and died. One less bumble bee nest in your neighborhood.
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I think she only came in that day on Mr. mossy's clothes when he was out in the garden.

There are lots if trees in bloom. I hope she was able to fly to one nearby and feed.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I don't believe that there are carpenter bees 2 inches long. At least none I have heard of. I am not a carpenter bee expert however - nor a bumble bee expert for that matter.
              The longest can reach over 1⅓" in length but they are tropical varities and not likely found in Canuckistan. To be honest I sorta was figuring on how wimmenfolk tend to double the size of insects and rodents they encounter when describing them, but don't tell mossy that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The longest can reach over 1⅓" in length but they are tropical varities and not likely found in Canuckistan. To be honest I sorta was figuring on how wimmenfolk tend to double the size of insects and rodents they encounter when describing them, but don't tell mossy that.

I could see the thing crawling from the top of my basement stairs. It was big.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I could see the thing crawling from the top of my basement stairs. It was big.
                  Uh-oh, mossy saw my post. Certainly I'm once again always still in trouble

Mossy pindrop.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Uh-oh, mossy saw my post. Certainly I'm once again always still in trouble

[ATTACH=CONFIG]593[/ATTACH]

True.

Comment

it's baaack

2017-04-28 16.28.16 - Copy.jpg

Comment

Offer it a cup of coffee. Rum is not good for bees.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X