Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christianity is Awesome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trout View Post
    Again without specifics . . .

I tend to think that persecution is a necessary by-product of a life with Christ. Persecution is a symptom of regeneration.
    At the risk of sticking my hoof in my mouth, I tend to disagree. Regeneration is a necessary by-product of a life with Christ. Perseverance in spite of persecution tends to hasten regeneration. I'm fairly certain I've never experienced persecution, so I'm really hoping regeneration is possible without it.
    Too much focus on any certain symptom may distract from the core issue.
    I tend to agree with this statement. I think (dangerous for a pig, I know) that people sometimes imagine they see this particular symptom, much like hypochondriacs (I had to look that one up) imagine they're sick.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      Just because God does personally interfere sometimes (which He clearly does regardless of your worldview) does not mean He personally interferes every time. The parable of the sower, the warnings not to fall for Satan's temptations, etc. Trout's Clockwork Christianity where Trout's god is like a bored kid who has his plastic toy soldiers battle each other (with trout's god making all the movements and shooting noises with his mouth) and then melts the ones he doesn't like is pretty absurd.
      Still smarting from your beating I see. Plenty more where that came from.
      The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

"As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Things will be different. In His time. He's got this. Jesus has won, is winning and will win.
          Doesn't mean that there's nothing for Christians to do. Doesn't mean that there aren't evils that exist that He would prefer not to exist, but He's not wiping them out. Yet.

Comment

Up untill the bit about liberal government paranoia of the OP, I thought it was a fun reversal of the other thread. Could something be both awesome and dangerous? Even if no one misused Christ's name for evil, we would still be a threat to those who don't want Truth. Think god would still be more dangerous! He is omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, etc. Good can be dangerous also. Who was it that said that having someone good angry at you is worse than having someone evil angry at you?
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              Up untill the bit about liberal government paranoia of the OP, I thought it was a fun reversal of the other thread.
              If you read carefully, I never talked about paranoia, merely justified concerns.

Could something be both awesome and dangerous?
              Aslan. And nuclear weapons.

Comment

Aslan= if Jesus was a talking lion! Cool!

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  At the risk of sticking my hoof in my mouth, I tend to disagree. Regeneration is a necessary by-product of a life with Christ. Perseverance in spite of persecution tends to hasten regeneration. I'm fairly certain I've never experienced persecution, so I'm really hoping regeneration is possible without it.
                  I would agree with that. My use of the word necessary was an overstatement. I like the way you phrased that very much. Thanks for the correction.
                  The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

And considering that any persecution here in the States is nothing compared to many other areas and times of the world (10-40 window), Does it seem a bit wimpy/lame when people cry "persecution!" when it's not life threatening. Sure, bullying and other acts of meanness aren't good either, but don't act like it's the equivalent of being tortured to death!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                      And considering that any persecution here in the States is nothing compared to many other areas and times of the world (10-40 window), Does it seem a bit wimpy/lame when people cry "persecution!" when it's not life threatening. Sure, bullying and other acts of meanness aren't good either, but don't act like it's the equivalent of being tortured to death!
                      I agree Christianbookworm. Our persecution at present is nothing compared to the rest of the world. And we shouldn't be crying about our "persecution" in the first place. As Christians, how we love the people persecuting us and love Christ through it will show others what we believe more then complaining about the persecution. However, speaking out worldwide against the severe Christian persecution happening in much of the world is warranted I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                        One thing that is beginning to annoy me a little bit is the tendency of many to wave off 1,500 years of awesomeness in the name of Jesus Christ as if it were a trifle, a flash in the pan, or a something merely common. Church history is full of charity, advances in education, healthcare, and other social work. Often, much of these were done to people whose belief system could hardly be any more different that the benefactor. It is a stunning, joyful history of the presence of heaven on earth.
                        All that doesn’t make this right:
                        If any one doth come unto me, and doth not hate his own father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brothers, and sisters, and yet even his own life, he is not able to be my disciple; - Jesus
                        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                          If any one doth come unto me, and doth not hate his own father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brothers, and sisters, and yet even his own life, he is not able to be my disciple; - Jesus
                          Sigh... Hebrew didn't have a way to say 'like less'.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                            If you want to engage in a honest discussion, I'm all for it, but when you're clearly trolling, you must excuse me if I bow out.

Comment

And here's the link if any one is interested. http://www.tektonics.org/gk/jesussayshate.php

Comment

tektontv

Seriously, stop it with the poor soundbites.
                                Last edited by Christianbookworm; 02-04-2014, 02:30 AM.

Comment