Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

WWII Vet Declines Private Meeting with Obama on D-Day Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Jesse, it wasn't because of your comments about the article, but the way you responded to CP when he said his dad was a vet. You mocked him.
    Dear John,

If that's the impression you were left with, I can only say it wasn't intended. But the author is responsible not merely for their intentions but for making their message clear to the intended audience, regardless, so that's my bad.

Certainly, I "accepted" his invitation to mock his dad, but that was just an attention-getter, much like CP's insertion of his dad into the conversation; I "took" the invitation, but I didn't follow through. The mockery, as OBP noted, was of the article, in the form of a parody.

Veteran status isn't sufficient endorsement for an article that was blatantly misleading in its association of a punch-line quote with a well-known veteran who clearly did not deliver that quote. Doing so opens the door to criticism.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
      Dear Z,

Please note I do not consider conservatism a "low" position, excluding the Tea Party wing of course, assuming, perhaps without cause, that one considers the TP a conservative movement. I don't.

There are any number of meaningful criticisms of administration policy open to conservatives. A while back, I posted to CP my list of issues with the Obama administration, including, as best I recall, failures regarding:

Climate policy
      ACA
      Guantanamo
      Immigration reform
      Minimum wage revision

Well, I'm sure the first three were on there, but I can't fully vouch for the last two.

There's no real risk of "etc." in these given a few fairly conservative caveats:

Climate change is real
      Health insurance saves lives
      Guantanamo is an embarrassment
      American means immigrant
      Full-time work should pay for basic food and shelter

As ever, Jesse
      Am I reading you wrong, or is your criticism directed more at the conservative's than at the Obama administration on these issues?

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
        There are any number of meaningful criticisms of administration policy open to conservatives. A while back, I posted to CP my list of issues with the Obama administration, including, as best I recall, failures regarding:
        Translation: There are a number of liberal criticisms of administration policy open to conservatives.

Honesty, of course, would make you look insane. The liberal must obfuscate, if not outright lie in order to obtain and maintain power. That's what generally happens when you build a coalition on telling losers that they're really just winners who were denied their crown.

Climate change is real
        A Manhattan Project for cheap energy would be very useful. The problem with that of course is that the energy industry is one of the few quasi-conservative industries left. It would not do to deny the true right one of the few funding sources they have left so the project must wait until the liberals have been crushed, their leaders executed and their ideals expelled from public discourse under penalty of severe beatings.

Health insurance saves lives
        My plan of a tax on liberalism (at least until it's banned) should provide for a good compromise. Liberals get universal health insurance. In exchange, they get to pay for it. All of it.

Guantanamo is an embarrassment
        I agree. Most of its inmates should have probably been executed.

American means immigrant
        Kindergarten level argument (which is about as high as your intellect can go in non-autistic subjects). Mass immigration is usually destructive to both culture and economy. It's certainly destructive today. American doesn't mean anything and never really did, other than some odd drivel about freedumb. It succeeded because it wasn't full of the kind of people that ruined Mexico, who are now invited by people like Lao Tzu to ruin another country. The only worthwhile immigration reform is an encore of previous successful policy, the militarization of the Mexican border and the infliction of sanctions on Mexico for the damage they've done by attempting to offload many of their poor and/or criminals on someone else..

Full-time work should pay for basic food and shelter

As ever, Jesse
        Here's a lesson in economics even a simpleton like you should understand: in a free trade, free immigration environment, your work (particularly if it's unskilled, though it will soon cover most labour) is worth as little as anyone in the world is willing to pay. Since you approve of millions of barbarians jumping over the border, you frequently won't even have to factor in transportation costs. The higher the minimum wage, the more likely that the increasingly anemic job market will shift even more work somewhere else, leaving the workers with a minimum wage of 0 + whatever they can scrounge up from welfare.

Mass immigration.
        Living wages.

Pick one.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Am I reading you wrong, or is your criticism directed more at the conservative's than at the Obama administration on these issues?
          Dear Jim,

My criticism of "conservatives" is related to their inability to address these failures in the Obama administration's policies, being continually distracted by conspiracy theories and the next 50 votes to repeal the laws of arithmetic that dictate the House can't repeal ACA on its own. The caution quotes are related to the fact that these are, for the most part, criticisms of the Tea Party wing of conservatism.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            lao tzu (and others):

In your mind, is it possible for us lowly conservatives to offer any criticism of the current administration at all, without it being "bashing" (or racist, bigoted, etc.)?
            Nick:
            I'd say it's possible, but not probable. The OP was obviously just more ODS on CP's part because AFAICT, there was no point to the OP. So some WWII veteran believes it's hard to respect President Obama as the Commander and Chief.....? So? Big freakin deal. A great deal of the “criticism” here, and elsewhere on the political right have to do with either false scandals, or other inane accusations (being a Muslim, a M. Brotherhood supporter, a communist, ect. Ect.)

Comment

One of the few things that I've learned from Civics is that President Obama cannot, in fact, be criticized*. For all practical purposes, he is the perfect leader.

I've also learned that "scandal" means nothing anymore.

*Unless you're criticizing him for not being liberal enough.
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I may be wrong, Z, but I think he was referring to the sliding of the union of independent states into the nationstate we seem to have now. Darth will set us straight though.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment