Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Seattle Pacific Shooter Had Warning Signs....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    I don't know if our society thinks mental health is unreal. I do agree we see it as inconvenient as you point out.

I remember my experiences with my ex husband. The situation wasn't helped by my denial of what was really going on. Too, I think my own sense of self preservation was very poor, so I was slow to admit just how bad things were. Pride got in the way of what might have been an awesome show of God's power to heal those who admit they need help.
    I think it depends on the mental condition, and attitudes are certainly changing. My wife had very severe pre-partum depression, and some degree of post-partum. *I* could tell that's what it was, but she couldn't, and it took me telling the OBGYN what was going on before my wife would admit to it and recognize it. Even then, it took a lot of convincing on my and the counselor's part to make her understand that it wasn't shameful. I gave up trying to convince people outside our families that depression is a real medical condition. The only people that seemed to get it were those who have dealt with it firsthand.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I don't know how many states have this but there is a 72 hour rule, once a person expresses thoughts of suicide/homicide and does not feel they are safe (including by family member) There is an option to commit them via 72 hour hold. Usually the family has to go to a judge and get the order to do it, a police officer will rarely do it unless they are literally trying to keep them from killing themselves. If they are trying to keep them from killing others the person winds up in jail.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

That's called a 5150 here in California. I first heard of that on, of all places, the TV show "Emergency!"

Linky: http://www.mhac.org/help/hotlines.cfm

The rules haven't changed much since the 70s from what I can tell. Police, a so called mobile team (EMTs) or other personnel authorized by their county can use the 5150.
        Last edited by DesertBerean; 06-09-2014, 12:27 PM.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I find this blog entry on Ybarra's bail hearing at once informative and not so much. Amid the cry for background check and apologies from the shooter's family are the details from the shooter's laywer...

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/arc...pears-in-court
          Last edited by DesertBerean; 06-09-2014, 12:41 PM.

Comment

As Promised Epoetker's derail posts and replys to said posts have been split off new thread can be found here

Comment

There was another shooting, this time at an Oregon high school. I read a comment that suggested parents be charged as at least accessories after the fact.

Hm.

We have laws here that charge parents with gang crimes for encouraging their kids in gang activities, even if it's just wearing the colors. Wearing colors is like putting a target on one's back for the gangs themselves because they don't like imposters anyway. Would that kind of action at least help in shootings far as bringing more accountability?

Comment

There was another shooting, this time at an Oregon high school. I read a comment that suggested parents be charged as at least accessories after the fact.

Hm.

We have laws here that charge parents with gang crimes for encouraging their kids in gang activities, even if it's just wearing the colors. Wearing colors is like putting a target on one's back for the gangs themselves because they don't like imposters anyway. Would that kind of action at least help in shootings far as bringing more accountability?
                That seems like it would be tricky to apply. You'd have to establish knowledge of certain tendencies, ability to take action and failure to take action.
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Yes.... In one case regarding gang activity, the boy's mom posed for a group pic with him and his gang friends while wearing their gang colors. Judge threw the book at her for facilitating delinquency and gang activity. She served 90 days IIRC.

In this case, since Ybarra is of age, the parents can't be held responsible...or can they?

Comment

I just remembered an incident at work. A co worker had said her younger son were wearing baggy pants and plaid shirts of a particular design or color ... I dont recall which. At this time, there were members of a gang in Barstow (as a result of major purging out of Los Angeles (thanks guys)) who used this particular set of clothes. I knew from East LA friends that this was practically a death warrant for anyone who were NOT members of that gang. But no matter what I said, she refused to believe her son would be in danger.Thankfully, nothing happened, but I wonder if she'd had been held accountable?

Comment

Yes.... In one case regarding gang activity, the boy's mom posed for a group pic with him and his gang friends while wearing their gang colors. Judge threw the book at her for facilitating delinquency and gang activity. She served 90 days IIRC.

In this case, since Ybarra is of age, the parents can't be held responsible...or can they?
                      Hm. Looking at it again, I think it's accessory before the fact, not after. However, I don't see why it would be restricted to the parents or based on age. Anyone with sufficient ability to know better and affect change would be in the same boat. I'm not sure how I feel about that as a policy, though. Seems like a dangerous precedent.
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment