Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Nudism and Clothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you believe that people who say that the Bible forbids public nudity are teaching the doctrines of men? That is, they have zero biblical warrant from the New Covenant that affirms their position?

Comment

• Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
      Do you believe that people who say that the Bible forbids public nudity are teaching the doctrines of men? That is, they have zero biblical warrant from the New Covenant that affirms their position?
      I regard it as a matter "adiaphora" and covered by the prohibition placed on passing judgement with regard to special days, feasts etc.
      That is, let each do as his own conscience permits or dictates without attempting to force his views on another.
      As long as no-one tries to declare that his own view is right and the opposing view wrong, everything is sweet.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• My view is right because there is no prohibition against it.

Comment

My view is right because there is no prohibition against it.
          There's no prohibition against prayer to the saints, therefore my view is right! I'm guessing you won't accept that argument, however.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            There's no prohibition against prayer to the saints, therefore my view is right! I'm guessing you won't accept that argument, however.
            I'm thinking that an honest statement would have read more as "my view is right because it is my view, and if the facts say otherwise, the facts are wrong."
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Yes there is. Prayer is worship and God alone is to be worshiped. (Luke 4:8)

This argument of yours was already attempted in Post #273.
              http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ng-Mary/page28

It didn't work there nor will it work here.

Plus the fact I can cite at least one passage where public nudity took place and God approved it.
              Guess how many passage you can cite that God gives the ok to pray to created beings?
              ---> Zero.
              Last edited by foudroyant; 08-01-2014, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Yes there is. Prayer is worship and God alone is to be worshiped. (Luke 4:8)

This argument of yours was already attempted in Post #273.
                http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ng-Mary/page28

It didn't work there nor will it work here.

Plus the fact I can cite at least one passage where public nudity took place and God approved it.
                Guess how many passage you can cite that God gives the ok to pray to created beings?
                ---> Zero.
                I am now wondering which part of the Bible declares prayer to be worship. Doesn't seem to be any such reference in any Bible that I have access to.
                Maybe in the gospel according to Mounce, or TDNT or whoever.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                  I am now wondering which part of the Bible declares prayer to be worship. Doesn't seem to be any such reference in any Bible that I have access to.
                  It's okay. He can't cite where God approves of general nudity either. Maybe he thinks he's a prophet.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                    Every passage where prayer takes place is worship.
                    Next time get a Bible with all 66 books in it.

Comment

It's okay. He can't cite where God approves of general nudity either. Maybe he thinks he's a prophet.

There is no command against it.

Furthermore, Leviticus 14-17 and 22 and Numbers 19 offer more than twenty commands from God to bathe. This is when Israel was still living in tents. More than a million people travel for years in a barren desert living in tents - no private bathrooms or bathing facilities except rivers, lakes and small pools of water.
                      Isaiah did it, King Saul did it, Bathsheeba did it where at least one other person (a male) saw her but she was never condemned for doing it.

Zero passages presented by you (or anyone else) that forbids it.

Great job in believing in something with no proof.

Comment

There is no command against it.

Furthermore, Leviticus 14-17 and 22 and Numbers 19 offer more than twenty commands from God to bathe. This is when Israel was still living in tents. More than a million people travel for years in a barren desert living in tents - no private bathrooms or bathing facilities except rivers, lakes and small pools of water.
                        Perhaps you've heard of segregation by sex? Further, you don't have to uncover a whole lot - if anything at all - to excrete waste when you're wearing a loose robe. Lastly, you've failed to state how periodic nudity for necessary functions makes continual nudity somehow okay. The very idiom of "uncovering nakedness" as a euphemism for sexual intercourse should tell you that nudity was certainly not the norm.
                        Isaiah did it, King Saul did it,
                        Are you a prophet, now?

Further, Isaiah's nakedness is clearly connected with shame:
                        Source: Isaiah 20:3-4 NKJV

3 Then the Lord said, “Just as My servant Isaiah has walked naked and barefoot three years for a sign and a wonder against Egypt and Ethiopia, [sup4[/sup] so shall the king of Assyria lead away the Egyptians as prisoners and the Ethiopians as captives, young and old, naked and barefoot, with their buttocks uncovered, to the shame of Egypt.

© Copyright Original Source

Also, Saul's nakedness was clearly unexpected to those who saw him.
                        Bathsheeba did it where at least one other person (a male) saw her but she was never condemned for doing it.
                        In the cultural context, condemnation would've been superfluous; any woman deliberately uncovering herself before a man was inviting sexual intercourse.

sigpic

Comment

• Still not one command against it.
                          You cited a total of zero passages that forbid public nudity.

Prove that Saul's nakedness was unexpected.

Bathsheeba...still a grand total of zero passages.

Way to go Mr. Zero.

Comment

Still not one command against it.
                            You cited a total of zero passages that forbid public nudity.

Prove that Saul's nakedness was unexpected.

Bathsheeba...still a grand total of zero passages.

Way to go Mr. Zero.
                            I've cited exactly as many passages that forbid it as you've cited that commend it.

sigpic

Comment

• Then it falls under Christian liberty.

You didn't demonstrate that King Saul's nudity was unexpected...you're too busy sticking that thumb up somewhere it doesn't belong.

Comment

Then it falls under Christian liberty.
                                Christianity obligates one to clothe the naked (Matt. 25:36-43). Public nakedness is associated with captivity (Is. 20:4), shame (Mic 1:11, Nah 3:5), drunkenness (Gen. 9:21, Lam. 4:21, Hab. 2:15), destitution (Job 24:10, Is. 58:7, Ez. 16:39, Ez. 18:7), harlotry (Ez. 16:36-7, 23:18, 23:29), demon possession (Luke 8:27, Acts 19:16), frightened flight (Amos 2:16, Mark 14:52), etc. Yet you somehow think there's nothing wrong with it.
                                You didn't demonstrate that King Saul's nudity was unexpected...you're too busy sticking that thumb up somewhere it doesn't belong.
                                What, no push-back about Isaiah? Your prurient aspersion about my personal habits is duly noted.

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X