Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Catch of the Day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    I don't like the taste of salmon, so I would be even more disappointed.
    Most seafood I can take or leave. I've been learning that this is mostly due to quality* and preparation. Unfortunately, most of what I've had (and would be willing to pay for) is too deficient in one or the other to be considered 'good'.

*with freshness being a huge factor
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
      Most seafood I can take or leave. I've been learning that this is mostly due to quality* and preparation. Unfortunately, most of what I've had (and would be willing to pay for) is too deficient in one or the other to be considered 'good'.

Yeah, I'm not big on seafood myself, but the fresh caught bluegill I had one year at my grandpa's was .

My dad said that perch taste way better, and due to their increase in size and numbers, we are going to ask permission to take some of them next year when the weather is warmer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        You have obviously never tasted Copper River red salmon (AKA sockeye).
        Not sure if the salmon I had was that, but I know it was supposed to be a higher quality than normal.

I don't like coffee either, so I think it comes down to our tastebuds being different.

Comment

I didn't know catfish jumped. Too weird.
          Some species even "walk"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It is not easy to get good fresh fish unless you live very close to the source. And freshness and proper handling are key.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Some species even "walk"

While not so adept, we have seen them do pretty close to that when they try to get back in the water.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Some species even "walk"
                I knew they existed, but I haven't seen videos of it before.
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  It is not easy to get good fresh fish unless you live very close to the source. And freshness and proper handling are key.

I think it was Emeril that said if you can smell your fish, it's not fresh enough. Pretty much the only way to get it that fresh is catching it yourself or living near a fish market. I found out recently that Newport, OR (where we go to the beach) is a source for a lot of fish that gets sold down in San Antonio, TX.
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I knew they existed, but I haven't seen videos of it before.
                    There are actually a number of such fish aside from walking catfish including mudskippers (which is much better adapted to it as they're considered to be entirely amphibious and ustilize their pectoral fins to walk on land) and epaulette shark (from the Southern Hemisphere who wriggle their bodies while pushing themselves along with their paired pectoral and pelvic fins).

Then there are climbing perches that move themselves across dry land with their tails while using their gill plates for support. One species can survive without water for 6 days.

But they have nothing on the tiny South American mangrove killifish which can remain out of water for over 66 days! Moreover they are known to climb trees as well where they live inside rotten branches and trunks. Other fish can also climb trees such as the aforementioned climbing perch and some of those walking catfish.

Supposedly Einstein once said that “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” Well guess what Einstein

school_fish_graduates_royalty_free_080825-227616-765042.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Here are some pics of our recent catches.

Same fish, but the second one is for scale.

I caught 8 fish, my mom got 3, and unfortunately my dad didn't get any. I'm holding up my fingers like that for keeping count.

Comment

• Do you have to wear those kinds of shoes? They don't look comfortable to me.
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Do you have to wear those kinds of shoes? They don't look comfortable to me.

Sorry Carrik, not laughing at you.

Oddly enough they are one of the only pairs of shoes I can wear due to comfort. I think I got those more than 15 years ago. I just recently found a pair that can be used when these wear out. We put those slips of denim over the top to keep my feet from burned/tanned from the holes it has in them.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X